A cat forum. CatBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » CatBanter forum » Cat Newsgroups » Cat anecdotes
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Okey Doke... I tried Facebook



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old September 1st 17, 12:20 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 7,579
Default Okey Doke... I tried Facebook

Sorry, I can't stand it.

Even with the "add on" Mishi suggested, it's an entirely too busy
interface. I just want to talk to people I know and share stories and
pics of our cats. I don't want to have to block ads and newsfeeds and
all sorts of other crap and who is friends with who else. Arrgh!

So, if you want to abandon usenet, fine. The usenet RPCA group may die
if you do. I'll just talk with my friends about my cat and share
stories and pictures via email. I don't live for social media. I do
enjoy having online friends who like to share stories about their cats.
Just not on Facebook.

Jill
  #2  
Old September 1st 17, 06:58 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
John Kasupski
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 107
Default Okey Doke... I tried Facebook


I can't stand it either. That's why I didn't do Facebook last time. I'm simply
not fond of it, period. So, I guess there's two of us at least. I'd post a
picture of Minnie, but she's sleeping right now, and I know not where, so...

John D. Kasupski
Niagara Falls, NY

  #3  
Old September 1st 17, 01:24 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 4
Default Okey Doke... I tried Facebook

On Fri, 01 Sep 2017 01:58:52 -0400, John Kasupski
wrote:


I can't stand it either. That's why I didn't do Facebook last time. I'm simply
not fond of it, period. So, I guess there's two of us at least. I'd post a
picture of Minnie, but she's sleeping right now, and I know not where, so...



Strange. I use FB, and have NO problems with it.

If I don't want to see something from someone, I block them (seldom).
If I don't want to see followups, I turn off notifications for that
thread.

I see LOTS of interesting things on FB that I never see other places.

I have plenty to do on FB, so I haven't gone begging to get onto
the RPCA group there.



  #4  
Old September 1st 17, 01:37 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Mishi[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 370
Default Okey Doke... I tried Facebook

On Thursday, August 31, 2017 at 7:20:34 PM UTC-4, Jill McQuown wrote:
Sorry, I can't stand it.

Even with the "add on" Mishi suggested, it's an entirely too busy
interface. I just want to talk to people I know and share stories and
pics of our cats. I don't want to have to block ads and newsfeeds and
all sorts of other crap and who is friends with who else. Arrgh!

So, if you want to abandon usenet, fine. The usenet RPCA group may die
if you do. I'll just talk with my friends about my cat and share
stories and pictures via email. I don't live for social media. I do
enjoy having online friends who like to share stories about their cats.
Just not on Facebook.

Jill


I don't know if anyone is interested in this, but several of my Yahoogroups lists are contemplating going to Groups.io https://groups.io/
The moderators who are trying it out say it is easier to access than Yahoogroups, and the interface is similar. I haven't compared it to Google Groups (that is how I access this newsgroup)

Just a thought.
Patti
  #5  
Old September 3rd 17, 03:56 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
dgk
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,241
Default Okey Doke... I tried Facebook

On Thu, 31 Aug 2017 19:20:26 -0400, jmcquown
wrote:

Sorry, I can't stand it.

Even with the "add on" Mishi suggested, it's an entirely too busy
interface. I just want to talk to people I know and share stories and
pics of our cats. I don't want to have to block ads and newsfeeds and
all sorts of other crap and who is friends with who else. Arrgh!

So, if you want to abandon usenet, fine. The usenet RPCA group may die
if you do. I'll just talk with my friends about my cat and share
stories and pictures via email. I don't live for social media. I do
enjoy having online friends who like to share stories about their cats.
Just not on Facebook.

Jill


I have tried it. And now I get huge amounts of emails about every post
that goes into the group. I'll see about getting those notifications
turned off.
  #6  
Old September 3rd 17, 05:33 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jack Campin
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 674
Default Okey Doke... I tried Facebook

Even with the "add on" Mishi suggested, it's an entirely too busy
interface. I just want to talk to people I know and share stories and
pics of our cats. I don't want to have to block ads and newsfeeds and
all sorts of other crap and who is friends with who else. Arrgh!


I'm on it, and there s a heck of a lot there, but it is pretty
infuriating. The bits I least like: having such imprecise control
of who sees what I write, and having no real way to group what
I read so I can see things I see as related all together. Usually
I want the whole world to see anything I write, but I sometimes
find I've spent ages writing something that only a tiny group will
see. And switching randomly between Scottish politics and Turkish
culture and early music (to name three things I'm following groups
or friends for) only exacerbates my already bad tendency towards
"oh look a squirrel!"-ness.

I don't know if anyone is interested in this, but several of my
Yahoogroups lists are contemplating going to Groups.io https://groups.io/
The moderators who are trying it out say it is easier to access than
Yahoogroups, and the interface is similar.


It's not at all easy to see what forums they've got. At least
they do indicate how active they are, though.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
e m a i l : j a c k @ c a m p i n . m e . u k
Jack Campin, 11 Third Street, Newtongrange, Midlothian EH22 4PU, Scotland
mobile 07895 860 060 http://www.campin.me.uk Twitter: JackCampin
  #7  
Old September 3rd 17, 09:48 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 7,579
Default Okey Doke... I tried Facebook

On 9/2/2017 10:56 PM, dgk wrote:
On Thu, 31 Aug 2017 19:20:26 -0400, jmcquown
wrote:

Sorry, I can't stand it.

Even with the "add on" Mishi suggested, it's an entirely too busy
interface. I just want to talk to people I know and share stories and
pics of our cats. I don't want to have to block ads and newsfeeds and
all sorts of other crap and who is friends with who else. Arrgh!

So, if you want to abandon usenet, fine. The usenet RPCA group may die
if you do. I'll just talk with my friends about my cat and share
stories and pictures via email. I don't live for social media. I do
enjoy having online friends who like to share stories about their cats.
Just not on Facebook.

Jill


I have tried it. And now I get huge amounts of emails about every post
that goes into the group. I'll see about getting those notifications
turned off.

It's under settings/notifications. Sometimes it works, sometimes not so
much...

Jill
  #8  
Old September 7th 17, 09:47 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
dgk
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,241
Default Okey Doke... I tried Facebook

On Sun, 3 Sep 2017 16:48:42 -0400, jmcquown
wrote:

On 9/2/2017 10:56 PM, dgk wrote:
On Thu, 31 Aug 2017 19:20:26 -0400, jmcquown
wrote:

Sorry, I can't stand it.

Even with the "add on" Mishi suggested, it's an entirely too busy
interface. I just want to talk to people I know and share stories and
pics of our cats. I don't want to have to block ads and newsfeeds and
all sorts of other crap and who is friends with who else. Arrgh!

So, if you want to abandon usenet, fine. The usenet RPCA group may die
if you do. I'll just talk with my friends about my cat and share
stories and pictures via email. I don't live for social media. I do
enjoy having online friends who like to share stories about their cats.
Just not on Facebook.

Jill


I have tried it. And now I get huge amounts of emails about every post
that goes into the group. I'll see about getting those notifications
turned off.

It's under settings/notifications. Sometimes it works, sometimes not so
much...

Jill


It did. No notifications every time someone posts something.
  #9  
Old September 12th 17, 01:00 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
cshenk
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,887
Default Okey Doke... I tried Facebook

John Kasupski wrote in rec.pets.cats.anecdotes:


I can't stand it either. That's why I didn't do Facebook last time.
I'm simply not fond of it, period. So, I guess there's two of us at
least. I'd post a picture of Minnie, but she's sleeping right now,
and I know not where, so...

John D. Kasupski
Niagara Falls, NY


Actually John, I don't post much here but I'm here. Facebook in the
end is an endless litany of individal posts with no real story. Boring.

--

  #10  
Old September 12th 17, 01:00 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
cshenk
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,887
Default Okey Doke... I tried Facebook

dgk wrote in rec.pets.cats.anecdotes:

On Thu, 31 Aug 2017 19:20:26 -0400, jmcquown
wrote:

Sorry, I can't stand it.

Even with the "add on" Mishi suggested, it's an entirely too busy
interface. I just want to talk to people I know and share stories
and pics of our cats. I don't want to have to block ads and
newsfeeds and all sorts of other crap and who is friends with who
else. Arrgh!

So, if you want to abandon usenet, fine. The usenet RPCA group may
die if you do. I'll just talk with my friends about my cat and
share stories and pictures via email. I don't live for social
media. I do enjoy having online friends who like to share stories
about their cats. Just not on Facebook.

Jill


I have tried it. And now I get huge amounts of emails about every post
that goes into the group. I'll see about getting those notifications
turned off.


Shift to digest.

--

 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sorry, can't do Facebook jmcquown[_2_] Cat anecdotes 6 August 30th 17 05:06 PM
Facebook Christina Websell Cat anecdotes 71 October 29th 13 12:42 AM
Facebook (Again) jmcquown[_2_] Cat anecdotes 12 March 31st 12 12:37 AM
r.p.c.a on Facebook Robert Catt Cat anecdotes 17 November 15th 11 08:31 PM
More about r.p.c.a. and Facebook Robert Catt Cat anecdotes 76 November 15th 11 02:56 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 11:11 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2017 CatBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.