newbie and a question about fostering

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old October 8th 03, 08:38 AM
Aphrodite's Cat

Default newbie and a question about fostering

G'day.
New around these parts. Might even become a regular poster...

I work at the local SPCA down here and the animal control officer brought in
a box of 5 3-week old kittens. The mother's deceased from being killed by a
stray dog or two. Seems like mummy taught them the basics about kitty boxes
and cleaning/grooming.

Needless to say, they are really the cutest things and the SPCA I work for
is in the business of fostering adoptable kittens (we take anything from 2-3
weeks, usually anything under that, we have to euthanise since the chance of
them living is low and we can't really afford to keep them), so I've become
the proud foster mum of 5 adorable kittens: 2 ginger tabbies, 1 torti, 1
gray and 1 cream tabby.

I just want to make sure that I'm doing the right thing when I feed them.
Right now, I'm giving them kitten milk (lactose-free, plus vitamins, etc).
every 6 hours on advice from the local SPCA inspector.

Questions:
1- Should I feed them closer to every 4 hours than every 6 hours?

2- Should I move them to wet food within the next few days, since their
teeth seem to be poking through and how do I wean them off the milk?

3- Do I substitute milk with food every second feeding or start out once a
day or move them to food all in one sitting?

I've never had to foster kittens before- most of the ones that I've gotten
(23 or so in the last 17 years) have been weaned and litter trained.
--
Aphrodite's Cat