Flavor Rx

Old March 3rd 05, 07:56 AM
L. (usenetlyn)

Katrina wrote:

When Ming came from the shelter he had an active case of ringworm.
Because it was all over his face (around his eyes and in his ears and

nose), the vet didn't think we could treat it topically, so Ming got

6 week course of tuna-flavored ringworm medicine. For a short course

of antibiotics, it's probably not worth it, but 6-12 weeks is what

they
first thought to clear up the ringworm, and trying to force

bubble-gum
or cherry flavored liquid into a cat twice a day for that length of
time was not something I was looking forward to- the twice a week

baths
were bad enough. He took the tuna flavored stuff quite well.

Katrina

FWIW, if you ever have to battle ringworm again, I have had great
success with Program.

-L.

Old March 3rd 05, 05:32 PM
Katrina

On 2005-03-02 23:56:08 -0800, "L. (usenetlyn)" said:

Katrina wrote:

[...]

It appears to have been a one-time thing. Ming had it when I got him
from the shelter, but I got him to the vet the next day and started him
on the regimen. I picked up 3 little spots on my arm- each about the
size of a pencil eraser. Boris (the d*g), ended up with one little
spot on his muzzle. I treated Boris and I with topical fungicides, and
Ming with medicated shampoo and oral medicines. When we got Buttercup
6 weeks later, she never showed even a single lesion, and there's been
no recurrance. It's now been over a year, so I think we're safe. All
in all, considering the horror stories I've heard about treating
ringworm, it was no big deal. Ming tolerated the baths with a resigned
good nature. He didn't like them, but he didn't try to rip my arm off,
either- he just lay there with that "why are you doing this" look on
his face. I did vacuum the house more frequently, and I put sheets and
towels over everything that Ming slept on (changed those daily and
washed them with bleach), but otherwise, it wasn't that big of a
problem to clear up.

Katrina