Feliway question

Old July 10th 07, 05:32 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Default Feliway question

I've been using a Feliway diffuser for the past 5-6 weeks or so, and
as I've posted before, it seems to help with the Smudge-Licky conflict,
at least a bit.

But I have a question. On the box, it says one refill container will
last a month. I've noticed that it doesn't last anywhere near that long.
It's more like 2 or 2.5 weeks, it seems. I've just purchased my third
bottle of the stuff (second refill), and I'm pretty sure it hasn't been
two whole months. Wish I'd written down the original date. When I start
the new bottle (the second bottle isn't quite empty), I will write it
in my calendar.

But I'm curious what your experiences are with this. It should be the
same, theoretically. It's not like I'm using more - I just plug it in
and leave it. It should "diffuse" at the same rate as anyone else's.

Also, how often do you need to replace the diffusers?

Joyce
Old July 10th 07, 11:26 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL

wrote in message
[...]

It sounds to me like your diffuser may be defective. I haven't used one in
quite awhile, but I don't remember any way to adjust the amount. However,
mine always lasted for more than a month before I needed a refill. I assume
we can keep using a diffuser as long as it is "working" -- that is, uses the
refills at a normal rate -- but in your case, I would contact the seller and
see if it can be exchanged.

MaryL

Old July 10th 07, 12:00 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Mishi

On 10 Jul 2007 04:32:26 GMT, wrote:

[...]

Hi Joyce,

I have 2 diffusers, and the refills last me just about a month. I put
the stickers that they include on the next month's date, so I don't
forget. Maybe you have a bad diffuser? I would contact the company and
tell them your experience, and maybe they will send you a new one. I
hate the fact that there is a little bit left in the bottle, so I have
been pulling the tops off and combining them into one bottle. Itis a
bit of a pain to do, but if I can save money on them, I will. I just
got 2 refills at PetsMart for $15.99 each - they honor their website
pricing, thank goodness!

Mishi
Old July 10th 07, 06:10 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
sheelagh

On 10 Jul, 11:26, "MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER
wrote:
wrote in message

[...]

MaryL- Hide quoted text -

Mary, I have never used Feliway at all. I have two questions if you
wouldn't mind anwering them?

1: Does Feliway actually work?
2:How well does it work.
(ie: does it calm the cat down, or release false pheromones)

I guess I should really ask you all as you have all used it?

The other thing that I noticed was the difference in price too.

Over here in the UK, to buy a diffuser & the refill part from my vet
or even my pet store come to that is around £25. that would convert
into around $48ish dollars.
I would call that a rather marked difference in price, wouldn't you?

(compared to the $16 that I noticed someone else in this thread
mentioned)

As you know, we take in community cats where and when we can, & feed
them from community bowls too, so I have often considered buying some,
but the price has put me off buying it. Not knowing whether it would
work or not, is a big consideration when dishing out that kind of
money.

If I knew that it was a defiant certainty that it would work, I would
consider trying it out on some of our more highly strung
visitors..However, not knowing has put me off trying it.

Thanks for your opinions in advance
Sheelagh

Old July 10th 07, 06:15 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sherry

On Jul 10, 12:10 pm, sheelagh wrote:
On 10 Jul, 11:26, "MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER
wrote:

wrote in message

.. .

[...]

Sheelagh- Hide quoted text -

Sheelagh--Feliway *does* work, but IMO it is subtle. Don't expect an
overnight, obvious improvement. Really, I found that
it was a matter of noticing more bickering when the diffuser ran out,
and I realized, wow, maybe it *was* helping.
YMMV of course.

Sherry

Old July 10th 07, 06:52 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
sheelagh

On 10 Jul, 18:15, Sherry wrote:
On Jul 10, 12:10 pm, sheelagh wrote:

On 10 Jul, 11:26, "MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER
wrote:

wrote in message

.. .

[...]

Sherry- Hide quoted text -

Thank you.

I am all for trying something out if it will work. I just wanted to
hear It does before forking out that kind of cash I guess.

We have a tortie who had her kittens in our shed, which is fine by us.
Our problem is that Lilly our Birman girl seems to have an issue with
her. Tortie(called Dot whilst she is with us), comes into the house
for her dinner & really has no problem at all with any of our cats..So
it seems rather odd that Lilly should have an issue with her.

I was rather hoping that If I tried out feliway, that Lilly might back
off a little bit & allow her to sun bath indoors when she takes the
rare breaks she does, to eat dinner & have her ears rubbed of course!!

I am also wondering if it might be an idea to buy several refills of
Feliway & have them shipped over here, rather than paying £25 for each
refill. Even with the shipping costs on top, it works out a lot
cheaper.
Only one thing holds me back from trying, & that is, I read some
advice on either here, or R.C.HB that said to be careful about what
products you buy on line because some of the sites are crook sites, &
I don't know one from another. Any recommendations @ all?

Thanks once again,
Sheelagh

Old July 10th 07, 07:23 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

MaryL -out-the-litter wrote:

It sounds to me like your diffuser may be defective. I haven't used one in
quite awhile, but I don't remember any way to adjust the amount. However,
mine always lasted for more than a month before I needed a refill.

I didn't think of that. But what kind of defect would cause it to use
up the liquid more quickly? I can see the opposite happening - that it
wouldn't put out enough of the pheremone. (Hmm... I wonder if this means
that the air in my apartment is getting a higher dose of pheremone? And
if I exchange this diffuser for a functional one, will the cats be more
squabbly?)

I assume
we can keep using a diffuser as long as it is "working" -- that is, uses the
refills at a normal rate -- but in your case, I would contact the seller and
see if it can be exchanged.

I just wondered how often you folks changed the diffusers. The packaging
doesn't say anything about that.

The whole Feliway thing has an aura of "magic" about it. You can't see
or hear or smell the thing working, so how do you know whether it is?
Because the cats seem calmer? But maybe the way my cats "seem" is due
simply to the power of suggestion, affecting my perception of how my cats
are behaving. I wish there were a more concrete way to tell whether
(1) the apparatus is working correctly, and (2) the stuff is actually
working on my cats.

Meanwhile, I did find a cheaper place to buy the refills. I was buying
them at Pet Food Express, at $26 per *refill*. (The diffuser, which
includes the first bottle of pheremone, costs $42.) At Pet Club, the
refill is $17. Big difference!!

Joyce