ignatius, please know that I have yet to meet a convict

Old November 27th 03, 09:57 PM
Bruce Reilly (a.k.a Bruha)

Default ignatius, please know that I have yet to meet a convict

Dear Judges, Lawyers, Policemen, Guards, Counselors, Taxpayers, et. al.,

We are here. Like it or not, for good or bad, we are here. Who are we? We are the
downtrodden and dispossesed, the self-torturing, the disenfranchised convicts,
drug and alcohol addicts, the unemployed and unemployable. We are the children of
poverty, financial and spiritual. We have and will have children of our own,
grandchildren too. We are ex-cons, uninsured, homeless, of many colors and speaking
many tongues. We are the enemy in what has become a domestic war against ourselves.

And who are you? You who like the tough talk of Tough on Crime? You who watch as
budgets are cut in education and health care while you militarize a police force?
Bullet-proof vests, automatic weapons, helicopters, tanks, robots ... the
testosterone is oozing through the streets, more prisons, longer sentences, tighten
the belt, spartan conditions, task forces, gang units, gun courts. And what is there
to show for it? Unemployent stays low because half the population oversees those
"out of the workforce", the dregs, the rabble, the enemy? Please tell me there is a
deeper reason. Do you feel safer? More humane? More like a cohesive society with a
shared sense of purpose, who can identify Us and Them? Do you live in a gated
community or gentrified neighborhood? By the way, have you read the Declaration of
Independence and US Constitution - or do you only know the first phrases?

It's about time we got together. Please know that I have yet to meet a convict who
wants their child to be a thief, an addict, a dealer, a prostitute, or a violent
individual. Most of us still have hope for ourselves even when stuck in the darkest
dilemmas, ruts and catch-22s. Most of us believe in crafting laws and instilling
order. Many of us have burrowed beneath the surface to find a spiritual sense of
being, an understanding force at least as powerful as those we succumbed to, and many
of use wouldn't escape if you opened the front door. Did you know that approximately
10 million Americans are either incarcerated, on probation, on parole or once were in
those categories? Each of those 10 million have families, friends, neighbors ... and
so closer and closer does the We interface with the You. Don't you think it's time we
talked?

Are you ready? Can you accept that the road we are travelling points toward a grim
and painful future? Do you have the heart to face monumental failures while bravely
struggling beyond where we are now? I know that some of you are, and that some of us
are, and this is what gives me hope. You need our insights just as we need your
structure. It is never over, especially when a real solution, a real treatment for
our sickness, is yet to begin.

In Solidarity,

Bruce Reilly (a.k.a Bruha)
P.O.Box 8274
Cranston, RI 02920 USA

P.S. - I am trying to conceptualize an effective guerilla media campaign to promote
this cause. Ideas are welcome. Collaboration is prayed.

dream, after
all, and you're living it, or will, when the time comes to come back
out of your bunker and reconnect your phones.

------
Q: What does foobar stand for?

A: It stands for you, dear.

---
This FAQ can be found on the World Wide Web at

http://www.clari.net/brad/emily.html

Christian_Paulus has a French translation of
''Emily Postnews Answers Your Questions on Netiquette''.
This translation (posted in fr.news.misc and fdn.misc monthly) is available at:

ftp://ftp.fdn.fr/FDN/Doc/Emily-Postn...-vos-questions

or on the World Wide Web:

http://www.fdn.fr/fdn/doc-misc/Emily-Postnews.html

From: Jim Howard
Newsgroups: alt.binaries.pictures.d, alt.binaries.pictures.fine-art.d, alt.binaries.pictures.erotica.d
Subject: alt.binaries.pictures FAQ - General Etiquette
Date: 21 Sep 2003 11:12:45 GMT

Archive-name: pictures-faq/part1
Last-modified: 03 March 1993

This is part 1 of the FAQ for the alt.binaries.pictures* hierarchy.
This part of the alt.binaries.pictures FAQ contains "general etiquette
suggestions", those handy little rules that'll help you avoid getting
flamed by dozens of other a.b.p* readers. It is *HIGHLY* recommended
that you read and understand this section fully before posting to any of
the a.b.p* groups.

For information on "general", or operating-system independent
information, questions you may have about the pictures newsgroups,
decoding and encoding techniques, or picture formats, consult part 2
of this posting.

For information on your particular system and on specific utilities,
consult part 3 of this posting.

Before posting to these groups for t

Old November 28th 03, 01:27 AM
Zorin the Lynx

_____________________
/| /| | |
||__|| | Do not feed the |
/ O O\__ | trolls. Thank you. |
/ \ | --Mgt. |
/ \ \|_____________________|
/ _ \ \ ||
/ |\____\ \ ||
/ | | | |\____/ ||
/ \|_|_|/ | _||
/ / \ |____| ||
/ | | | --|
| | | |____ --|
* _ | |_|_|_| | \-/
*-- _--\ _ \ | ||
/ _ \\ | / `
* / \_ /- | | |
* ___ c_c_c_C/ \C_c_c_c____________

Old November 28th 03, 06:16 AM

I agree with what you've written, but it has nothing to do with cats.
I hope your "guerilla media campaign" doesn't mean posting this message
in every newsgroup on Usenet. Oh, wait - I'm sure it does mean just that.
That's too bad. You're going to win more enemies than friends with that
tactic.

Joyce

[snip]
Old November 28th 03, 06:04 PM
Tanada

"Bruce Reilly (a.k.a Bruha)" wrote:

Dear Judges, Lawyers, Policemen, Guards, Counselors, Taxpayers, et. al.,

The first one of the season. Christmas, Hanukkah, Yule, and the other
assorted holidays can now begin...

ACK! I think I've posted all my seasonal recipes.

Pineapple Glaze for Ham.

1 can pineapple rings, preserve the juice.
prepared mustard
brown sugar
maraschino cherries

using tooth picks or whatever means necessary, place and fasten
pineapple rings on the ham anchoring maraschino cherries in the center
of each ring. Make it as decorative as you like.

Mix the pineapple juice from the can of rings, prepared mustard (to
taste), and brown sugar (also to taste), together. Baste the ham with
prepared mixture every 15-20 minutes, until ham is done. Serve and wish
you had Darren H's orange glaze recipe, which he won't share, the
beggar.

Pam S.
Old November 29th 03, 07:45 AM
Cathi

You want seasonal recipes? Here's mine.

Christmas Trimmings Upside Down Tart

Tip: get all the toppings and the pastry prepared before you start to
cook.

You will need a 10 inch tart tin to bake the tart in.

75 g cranberries (defrosted if frozen)
1 x 375 g pack Jus-Rol ready rolled puff pastry (defrosted)
6 decent quality chipolatas
6 slices good quality smoked streaky bacon (dry cure if poss), derinded
50g garlic and herb stuffing
tbsp olive oil
25 g butter
1 tbsp caster sugar
12 medium shallots, peeled
1 egg yolk, beaten with a little cold water

To prepare the bits: cut each chipolata into three. Make rolls of the
bacon rashers. Make the stuffing up as per instructions, and make into
6 little balls.

Heat the oil and butter together in a frying pan, and then add the
sugar. Add the shallots and brown them over a fairly high heat, moving
them all the time. After 2/3 minutes, add the bacon rolls and
chipolatas to brown. Once they have taken on some colour, add the
stuffing balls, and cook for another couple of minutes. Finally, add
the cranberries and give them a minute or two. Transfer all the
ingredients to the tart tin - if you want to be really fancy, you can
arrange it in sixths so everyone has 2 shallots/3 bits of sausage/a
bacon roll and stuffing ball each, plus cranberries and the slurpage.
Leave to cool.

Upwrap the pastry and cut off a piece large enough to cover the tart
tin. Place over the tin and its contents, and cut off the overhang.
Tuck the pastry in if you wish around the sides of the tin. At this
point, you can quite easily leave the whole thing in the fridge for up
to 12 hours before you bake.

Preheat the oven to Mark 6/200 deg C/400 deg F. Brush the top of the
pastry (which will shortly become the bottom) with the egg yolk wash,
bake the whole shebang for 20-25 minutes until the pastry is well
browned. Remove from oven, loosen around the edges of the tin with a
knife if necessary and place the serving dish over the top, then invert
the whole lot. The tart should tip out nicely.

Fab cold too.

--
Cathi