Indoor cats - do they need vaccinations

Old December 22nd 03, 05:51 PM
David Archer

Default Indoor cats - do they need vaccinations

Hi all,

I have two indoor cats, by which I mean they have never been outside
the falt, and are never allowed so (this is because I live in central
London with heavy traffic, and was advised to raise them as indoor
cats by cat charities for their own safety).

Anyway, my questions is - do they need regular flea etc vaccinations?
So far I have been taking them for vaccinations every 6 months, but it
is very expensive and I wonder if it is necessary given they never go
out, and no other animals come inside?

All opinions much appreciated, thanks,
Dave.
Old December 23rd 03, 12:43 PM
David Archer

Thanks all for your advice - think I will take them to the vet and
discuss. Better safe than sorry...

Happy Xmas all!
Dave.

Old December 23rd 03, 07:57 PM
---MIKE---

Dave, You have to be careful asking the vet. Vets make a good profit
giving shots and some will recommend more frequent vaccination to
generate more income. Cornell University recommends every three years
for most shots but my vet sends me a reminder EVERY year. I don't
respond.

-MIKE

Old December 24th 03, 11:18 AM
Sue

I assume you're referring to the six monthly program injection for
fleas -IMHO that is not necessary in your situation.
You could keep in some Frontline or Advantage ( buy from the Vet ) and apply
it at the first sign of any Fleas -which you could bring home BTW.
Your cats still need an annual vaccination but only the 'flu & enteritis
one.
Indoor cats are not at risk of Leukaemia so that vaccine is superfluous.

Your vet will tell you you need the six monthly jab -it's a nice earner -
but it doesn't kill fleas - it's to prevent fleas breeding in your home!
Sue

om...