[OT] Tummy ache remedies?

Old January 26th 05, 12:26 AM
Howard Berkowitz

In article . net,
Tanada wrote:

Howard Berkowitz wrote:

I've heard it said that in the fifties, people went into a drugstore
and
whispered to the clerk that they wanted to buy condoms.

These days, the condoms are on display, but they have to request
cigarettes from a clerk.

You had to whisper to the clerk to get them in the late 60s and early
70s back in Eastern Washington as well. Then I moved to Eugene Oregon
and found the stores displaying them on racks. Eugene has a large gay
population, and is more open about personal needs than Eastern
Washington ever was.

As a person who was seriously addicted to cigarettes, I think they
should be kept behind the counter. I've never heard of someone having a
condom addiction.

I'm trying to decide if putting a condom on a cigarette would satisfy
the oral craving without the nicotine, or would be too much of a fire
hazard.
Old January 26th 05, 12:40 AM
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2005-01-26, Howard Berkowitz penned:
In article , "Monique Y. Mudama"
wrote:

I thought my stomach was all better, but it was pretty upset this morning.
I hadn't had a snack with the pill, so maybe that was my fault.
Fortunately, I stocked up on ginger ale and bananas last night.

Pictures injecting banana with ginger ale, so one could froth at the mouth.
I need dinner, and am too stressed to cook and too snowed to go out.

Hah!

Hrm. I keep canned soup on hand for lazy days like this. Any in your pantry?

I made the horrible mistake of having some coffee from the break room a bit
ago. This was a mistake.

1) It's cheap coffee

2) It's cheap decaf coffee (I only drink decaf, and cheapie decaf uses a
bleach process)

3) It's been sitting on the burner thickening all day

4) Powdered creamer doesn't make my stomach happy on the best of days

5) Hello, it's coffee! Not known to be the world's best stomach settler

I'm sitting here, thinking of how dumb, dumb, dumb I am. I am also thinking
I'm going to call my doctor tomorrow and get an opinion on whether I should
try to "stick it out" or go ahead and try to switch. I'd imagine I can't
switch mid-month, though. Also, from the package insert (nice, could get it
online):

"The most common [side] effects are nausea, vomiting ... These side effects,
especially nausea and vomiting may subside within the first three months of
use."

THREE MONTHS?

But, still, that suggests maybe I should wait it out a bit.

As further TMI, my nipples have been extremely, painfully sensitive since the
switch. I hope that side effect subsides, too. It sucks, and I think it
bothers DH more than the stomach aches do =P

--
monique, roommate of Oscar the (female) grouch
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Old January 26th 05, 03:10 AM
Seanette Blaylock

"Christina Websell" had some very
interesting things to say about [OT] Tummy ache remedies?:

My 14 y o experience was different. It happened and I was afraid to tell my
mother. I tried to manage with toilet paper for two days, which is
ridiculous, it isn't up to it.
I had to pluck up my courage to say what was happening to me. No female
child should go through that, they need to be prepared and find it easy to
confide, I didn't. Should have been talked about more, like it was normal.
I thought I was bleeding to death and would definitely die.

My mother made sure I understood such matters years before it got
personal for me. She considered it a happy event when I started at 12.

Old January 26th 05, 03:43 PM
Tanada

Seanette Blaylock wrote:

My mother made sure I understood such matters years before it got
personal for me. She considered it a happy event when I started at 12.

We threw a coming of age party for Mandy when she started. The cause of
the party (her periods) was not discussed, but she knew why we
celebrating just "then" and was pleased. I like coming of age parties,
as children should have some distinction between being a kid and being
"grown up."

Pam S.
Old January 28th 05, 07:38 PM
Monique Y. Mudama

Yowie, I read this, but don't have much to add. Thanks for the tips!

I avoid caffeine already, and rarely drink alcohol, certainly not if my
stomach is threatening to be upset.

I do love greasy and strongly flavored foods, though. I don't think I could
survive without green chili, hot and sour soup, and hotwings. Not necessarily
at the same time, though!

On 2005-01-23, Yowie penned:
"Monique Y. Mudama" wrote in message

snip hormonal tummy upsets

When I was preggers, these are the things I found helped me:

Never ever get hungry. Never over-eat. Just keep grazing all day - and on
salady stuff mainly. Decrease your animal protein, such as cheese, eggs and
meat - they are harder to digest than vegetable proteins.

Water crackers or other boring dry starchy stuff is your friend, especially
in the morning

Avoid caffeine like the plague

Avoid alcohol like the plague

Avoid greasy or strongly flavoured foods like the plague (garlic being a
notable exception in my case)

Be careful not to shake yourself up, or get motion sick. Keep your eyes
steady when you move around, and don't move your head too much.

Ginger biscuits are another good snack, escpecailly the really hard ones
that take alot of work to actually eat.

Keep up your fluids but don't drink large amounts at a time - like the
food, sip often rather than drink a large glass all at once. Unsweetened (or
only slightly sweetened with honey) ginger tea is great.

The general principle was to always have a small amount of very boring
easily digested stuff in the stomach. Don't make it work hard, but don't
make it wait either - that was worse.

HTH

Yowie

Old January 28th 05, 07:42 PM
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2005-01-26, Howard Berkowitz penned:

I know birth control pills are over the counter in many countries, and
there's quite a strong argument for doing so in the US. My sense is that
there are enough nuances in picking (or finding over time) the right pill,
and monitoring for side effects, that they should stay on prescription.

I dunno. Part of the reason I'm hesitant to try other pills is because I
don't feel like getting a new prescription every time.

Then again, she should probably have samples ... in fact, I seem to recall
getting a sample pack, rather than a true prescription, back in high school
.... hrmmm ...

Given how misleading direct-to-the-consumer advertising can be, I simply
don't trust the manufacturers to give adequate information.

How misleading could birth control pill info possibly be? They seem to be
pretty good about disclosing the side effects in their documentation ...

Old January 28th 05, 07:43 PM
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2005-01-25, L. (usenetlyn) penned:

It's probably from the estrogen levels. I have been on BCP forever due to
polycystic ovary syndrome, and I'm always nauseous. My remedy is either
gingerale with lots of ice, or Gatorade with lots of ice - and eating a
higher protein/low fat diet. I also live on Alka Seltzer, but it's an
acquired taste and not for anyone with high blood pressure. good luck...

Ugh. I'm sorry; constant nausea must be miserable.

High protein/low fat is good for me, anyway; I should be doing that. I'm just
such a sucker for cheese! *sigh*