It's not him

Old May 22nd 13, 11:10 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

Default It's not him

On 5/22/2013 4:17 PM, EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque) wrote:

jmcquown wrote:
On 5/21/2013 5:08 PM, EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque) wrote:

jmcquown wrote:
When I fry minced meat I always drain the fat off into a mug. It sets
overnight and somehow when I get there is evidence of claws in the
fat
trying to get it out.
Boyfie claims it is absolutely, no way in the world himself. Like he
would
ever do such a thing.
He claims mice have done it while he was asleep. Yeah..

Tweed

As a curious cook I must ask why don't you put it in the refrigerator?

Jill

Because she's in the UK. (Only Americans refrigerate EVERYTHING,
whether it's required or not

Don't be silly. They do use refrigerators in the UK, you know. This
isn't the 1900's. There's nothing preventing the mug from being
*covered* before the fat sets and it is put away.

Jill

Of course they USE them - just not the blatant OVERUSE you find in the
U.S.!

I really don't know what you mean by "overuse". How can one over use a
refrigerator?

Jill
Old May 22nd 13, 11:30 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Takayuki" wrote in message
On Tue, 21 May 2013 21:26:09 +0100, "Christina Websell"
wrote:
When I fry minced meat I always drain the fat off into a mug. It sets
overnight and somehow when I get there is evidence of claws in the fat
trying to get it out.
Boyfie claims it is absolutely, no way in the world himself. Like he
would
ever do such a thing.
He claims mice have done it while he was asleep. Yeah..

Oh, whenever I have grease, I've been pouring it off into the garbage - is
there something else I could do with it though, like maybe refuel the
lawnmower? Make toads in a hole?

No, you cannot refuel your lawnmower with it, but you can use it to make
toad in the hole. More importantly it makes fat balls for the birds.
Fat balls are great in the winter, but even at this time of year it helps
small birds as they are rushing around getting insects and stuff for their
babies 18/24.
A quick snack on a fat ball will revitalise a blue tit parent.

BTW, Boyfriend's story reminds me of the Grimm story:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cat_and...in_Partnership

Old May 23rd 13, 12:00 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bastette

jmcquown wrote:
[...]

I think refrigerators in the UK are much smaller. At least, according to a
friend of mine from California who lived in London for a few years, the
ones in London are pretty small - about the size of a wet bar fridge in a
hotel room.

I would be OK with that, but I'm really big on *freezing* things so it
would be hard to adjust to a small freezer.

--
Joyce

What business is it of the state how consenting adults choose to pair
off, share expenses and eventually stop having sex with each other?
-- Bill Maher
Old May 23rd 13, 12:02 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bastette

Christina Websell wrote:

"MaryL" wrote in message

"Christina Websell" wrote in message

When I fry minced meat I always drain the fat off into a mug. It sets
overnight and somehow when I get there is evidence of claws in the fat
trying to get it out.
Boyfie claims it is absolutely, no way in the world himself. Like he
would
ever do such a thing.
He claims mice have done it while he was asleep. Yeah..

Tweed

~~~~~~~~
It sounds like you have gremlins. Surely, Boyfie is innocent. )

MaryL (as instructed by Holly and Duffy)

Hmmmm, it's possible. Gremlins can leave claw marks on stuff while
letting innocent boycats get the blame.

He did do it. Every time I save fat for frying, overnight, he gets his
claws into it.

But you can't convict him without proof. I suggest putting some red dye
into the fat, and then, in the morning, there will probably be a red trail
of footsteps leading away from the fat. If it leads to Boyfie -- well,
bingo, you jail him. But if it leads to the mice or the gremlins (assuming
you have both, as Boyfie, Holly and Duffy have testified) then he's in the
clear.

Jay

Aw, I don't really mind. He can be dreadfully sneaky about getting up on
the kitchen worktops, he usually waits until I go upstairs and I hear him
jump down when I come downstairs again. Which suggests he *knows* that he
shouldn't.

I pretend I didn't know he did it, and he pretends he didn't do it.
That's the best thing..

The red dye thing is funny, but if you saw red paw prints on your floor
you'd probably have a heart attack!

Old May 23rd 13, 12:09 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bastette

jmcquown wrote:

On 5/22/2013 4:17 PM, EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque) wrote:

Of course they USE them - just not the blatant OVERUSE you find in the
U.S.!

I really don't know what you mean by "overuse". How can one over use a
refrigerator?

I think she means that our refrigerators are so much larger than theirs
that we use a lot more energy to keep them cold. There's some validity to
that, but our climate varies a lot more throughout the country than the
UK does. (I *think*... not that I've been there... but it's much smaller,
so how could it be as varied as the continental US?) So in the very hot
regions of the US, I think it's justified.

I know Americans are neurotic about germs, but I'm an order of magnitude
*more* neurotic than that. It's a downright phobia. I don't mean that I
won't touch other people's hands without sanitizing my own. I don't worry
about catching colds. But I do worry about unfriendly bacteria growing in
my food. I've been extremely ill from food poisoning, so I go the extra
mile to prevent it. Even if that entire extra mile is not at all necessary
in reality.

Old May 23rd 13, 12:45 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

jmcquown wrote:
[...]

I freeze things a lot, too. I have a full-sized freezer in my garage, and
still use my refrigerator freezer.

Joy

Old May 23rd 13, 01:00 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

On 5/22/2013 7:45 PM, Joy wrote:
"Bastette" wrote in message
"EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)" wrote:

Of course they USE them - just not the blatant OVERUSE you find in the
U.S.!

I think refrigerators in the UK are much smaller. At least, according to a
friend of mine from California who lived in London for a few years, the
ones in London are pretty small - about the size of a wet bar fridge in a
hotel room.

I would be OK with that, but I'm really big on *freezing* things so it
would be hard to adjust to a small freezer.

--
Joyce

I freeze things a lot, too. I have a full-sized freezer in my garage, and
still use my refrigerator freezer.

Joy

Yes, I have a separate (not very large) freezer in the garage. When I
cook I tend to cook for about 4 people (!) so I often have leftovers.
It's great to have a freezer for quick meal when I don't feel like
cooking. I also put frequently used items like cornmeal and flour in
the freezer attached to the fridge to keep bugs from getting into it.

I never thought I was "over-using" my refrigerator. I routinely store
milk, butter, eggs and cheese in the fridge. And some condiments. I
don't think that classifies as "overuse". Sure, it could be smaller.
When this one dies I'll get a smaller refrigerator. I just don't think
of it as over-using.

Jill

Old May 23rd 13, 01:42 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Bastette" wrote in message
Christina Websell wrote:

"JJ" wrote in message
"Christina Websell" wrote in
message

"Christina Websell" wrote in
message

"MaryL" wrote in message

[...]

Not so. I know very well about how norty he can be. He thinks I don't know
what he does but I do.
I watch him carefully every day, and I stay up nights when he's doing rat
patrol in case he encounters a fox.
Boyfie is very able to shoot up a tree if he sees a fox. He can get there in
2 seconds. However I prefer to keep him in overnight.
Some foxes are fine with cats and some will catch them for their cubs if
they aren't savvy enough to avoid them.
Boyfie takes the sensible option - either run for the house or get up a
tree.
Usually he runs for the house and says "Phew, just missed a fox and was
about to kill him my own self but decided not to."
Tweed

Old May 23rd 13, 07:58 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

jmcquown wrote:
[...]

By refrigerating all the stuff that does not REQUIRE refrigeration, as
we do in the U.S. (Peanut-butter? I ask you!)