FelV Question

Old January 22nd 04, 02:13 PM

Is there anyone remotely close by that
could check out Cat Tails Farm? The
reported stench could either be neighbors
making it up, because they don't want to
live next to a cat sanctuary, or other farms
in the area. I would be willing to give them
the benefit of the doubt, but I would want
to get an eyewitness report.

I wouldn't bother. They didn't even bother to get permits for their
current location, but instead decided to move where they aren't known.
Also, there are only two people responsible for this sanctuary, with
only one working full time there to care for the cats while the other
one goes to a regular job. They may have good intentions, but what the
article revealed is enough for me to question the care there. There is
the matter of the stench, which NO cat should have to live with and one
they say they will only be "kept down" with a new ventilation system
(which is an admission that there is a noticeable stench.) That is not
good enough, and it's clear that the cats also will never get the kind
of attention they need and deserve. Spending the rest of their lives in
kennels located in two quonset huts is not something I would wish on any
cat. I think the focus should be on finding this cat a home with a
person.

Megan

nothing."

-Edmund Burke

Learn The TRUTH About Declawing
http://www.stopdeclaw.com

Zuzu's Cats Photo Album:
http://www.PictureTrail.com/zuzu22

way."

- W.H. Murray

Old January 22nd 04, 04:09 PM
Chris

I still would like it if someone in the area could take a look at the
place--there's nothing like first hand account to tell you what the
situation really is....

Old January 22nd 04, 08:59 PM
Judy F

I'd be willing to help with the cost of the transport too, if you can find a
good place to send big boy!
Judy F

"MacCandace" wrote in message
Wasn't it called Pro Pet Transport.

Karen

That sounds familiar. Here's their website:

A HREF="http://www.pro-pet-transports.com/"Nationwide Pet Transportation
Services/A

Candace
(take the litter out before replying by e-mail)

See my cats:
http://photos.yahoo.com/maccandace

"One does not meet oneself until one catches the reflection from an eye

other
than human." (Loren Eisely)

Old January 22nd 04, 11:03 PM
Magic Mood Jeep©

The pet transport company is Pro Pet Transports, their website is
http://www.pro-pet-transports.com/ .
I remember that from the archived story of the Oregon-to-Missouri story
(tears welled up on that one). From what I understand is that they have a
converted buses and drive to the pickup location(s), and then drive the pet
to the destination. They have a price list and you can look up what the
fees will be by the origin & destination zip codes, they apparently charge
by carrier size and distance. They make rest stops on the way so that the
dogs can be walked and cats can use the litter box, and you can 'track' the
progress of your pet online during his/her journey with their Pet Tracker
function on their web page. They are licensed with the USDA (US Department
of Agriculture) & IPATA (Independent Pet and Animal Transportation
Association), bonded & insured & are the LARGEST pet-transport company in
the continental US. I also saw a rather large notice on one of their pages
that they DO NOT deliver/pick up at airports! Pets need to have
veterinarian documentations regarding their health & vaccinations, but I
could find no mention of FeLV+ cats, you could always email them and ask
about it. I'm sure that they could make arrangements - especially since
each animal is in it's own carrier, Big Boy's could be marked that he not be
allowed to mingle with any other cats during his trip.

I hope this helps you.

--
The ONE and ONLY
in Bloomington! (And proud of it, too)©

"Chris" wrote in message
link.net...
You are all so very nice!!!!! As much as I want him in a forever

home--I'm
so nervous about sending him so far to a place I haven't seen... Do you
know anyone who ever worked with them or lives near Lansing Michigan &

might
want to visit??? I have looked at flying with him in cabin but worry

about
security making me take him out of carrier which I know I wouldn't be able
to do without him becoming totally freaked (he won't come out of carrier

for
anything at the vett!) Do you know the name of the pet transport
company--was it by air (I worry about putting animals in cargo holds!)

"Chris" wrote in message
ink.net...
Sorry for confusion--when I looked at how I typed it, I could see the
problem. I am still looking for a place. There is a shelter in

Michigan
that would take him (Cat Tails Farm (formerly Gaia Sanctuary)-south of
Lansing. I'm in NY & that's a long way for the little guy,Big Boy. to
travel. I'm going day to day with him; he really doesn't like all the
confinement but I have to think about my other guys as well.....
"Chris" wrote in message
ink.net...
I am currently looking for home for FelV+ stray, Big Boy, (about which

posted before). I have other cats who cannot be exposed to him so he

is
isolated. I get very conflicting info about one thing: I would be

able
let him loose in my bedroom (instead of the attached bath & large dog

kennel
I bring him out into the bedroom with) but have been told that after

he
left
I would have to quarantine that room for 30-60 days no matter how well

cleaned it... Does anyone have thoughts on this or previous

experiences.