Calico vs. black-and-white

Old August 25th 03, 08:45 PM
BricksInTheWall8

Thanks for all the responses everyone! It looks like calicos actually are in
general less affectionate. I'll love my kitty forever, but I think my next cat
will be a black-and-white or maybe an orange-and-white!

To everyone who asked, I got my cat when she was six weeks old from a pet
store, she was already declawed and sterilized and everything, which I think is
terrible...so I guess she did have a pretty rough babyhood. Plus my stupid
brother is always playfighting with her. Coupled with the fact she's a calico,
no wonder the poor thing is so crazy. :-(

I have had 2 Torties and the best description I have heard about them is
they are just like an Almond Joy (coconut covered in chocolate with an
almond on top), half sweet, half nuts.

LOL! Awwww, that is so perfect. I am going to use that. :-D
Old August 25th 03, 10:00 PM
Nanny

You're right, never playfight with that kind of cat, and if she starts
acting up turn away from her and ignore her.

-
Nanny

I still miss my ex but my aim has improved.

"BricksInTheWall8" schreef in bericht

Old August 26th 03, 05:33 AM
Marina

"BricksInTheWall8" wrote

To everyone who asked, I got my cat when she was six weeks old from a pet
store, she was already declawed and sterilized and everything, which I

think is
terrible...

Well, I think that explains her behaviour, not her fur colour.

--
Marina

Old August 26th 03, 08:54 AM
Annie Benson-Lennaman

Of my 3 adult cats, Jeeves the Tuxudo cat is probably the most mellow...
he certainly is the one that tolerates the kitten the best. But... when
we dropped him off at my mom-in-laws house along with abondigas, a white
male with orange ears and tail, Jeeves is the one that flipped out and
hid in the basement for a week. Abondigas remained is normal goofy,
lovable self.

So I guess what I am saying is... ignore my data point.

--
Annie

--
If you can't figure out my email address, you're not supposed to write
me.
Old August 27th 03, 02:51 AM
Sherry

So what do you guys think? Does the colour of a cat really have an effect on
its personality?

Absolutely. B&W's, although generally rather intellectually dense, are
usually wonderful and affectionate cats.

Sorry, but I have to differ. Bootsie is the most aloof cat I've ever had.
Cherokee was also aloof and just plain mean. They were both B&W!

Old August 27th 03, 02:37 PM
Not so quick

I'm not sure what a calico is. We have
two black and whites with some ginger.
They are both very affectionate. One,
a spade female, lets the other cats nurse
from her. The other sleeps on top of me
at night sometimes, even when I lie on
my side.

"Marina" wrote in message

"BricksInTheWall8" wrote

But then someone told me that calicos are in general not very loving,

and
black-and-whites are the most loving. .

I don't know any torties/calicos, but my two cats are both tuxedoes. They
are very different in their character; Frank is very loving and has always
been so, but then he was born in a people home and got lots of socializing
as a kitten. Nikki was born in a stables, and didn't have much cntact with
people as a kitten, and when I got her, she was a pretty wild little

thing.
Now, after years and years of just being with her and showing her that
humans are good for something else than feeding, she has mellowed out

quite
a bit, likes to be in my lap, enjoys scritches, sleeps in my bed etc.

So I think it's more about where the cat was born and how she lived before
she came to you than what colour her fur is.

--
Marina

Old August 29th 03, 06:44 AM
Not so quick

"Nanny" wrote in message
[...]

Our calico is just like described above, half sweet and half nuts.
Sometimes I chase her around the house saying bad girl and
spanking her bottom (about like you would fluff a pillow but
not as hard). She runs away, turns around and lays down purring.
She seems to love it. I have no idea why. Other times she just
wants to be petted but rarely held, usually only after I have patted
her bottom and told her she's a bad girl. I guess when it comes to
nuts, it takes one to know one. : -)

Old August 29th 03, 11:08 PM
Brenda Watkins

"BricksInTheWall8" wrote in message
Hello everyone.

I got my first cat a little over a year ago. She's a beautiful calico with

lot of Japanese Bobtail in her. I love her to death, but frankly, she's

mean
and doesn't seem to like me very much at all most of the time. She bites

me
hard and swats at me if I get on her nerves, she growls and hisses at me.

It's
not all bad; she does greet me when I come home and sleep in my bed

sometimes,
and If she's in the mood, she does love it when I pet her, but only for a
little while. Most of the time she just ignores me and tries not to be in

the
same room as me. She hates all other animals and always tries to attack

them. I
figured this is the way cats are, and I love her the way she is.

But then someone told me that calicos are in general not very loving, and
black-and-whites are the most loving. . I didn't really belive them, but

then I
started meeting other cats. I met a black-and-white cat the same age as my

cat
and she was very loving and affectionate. Then I met two very small

kittens,
one black-and-white and one calico. The black-and-white one was cuddly and
happy and playful, but the calico one would just scream if you touched

her. And
all the other non-calico cats I have met are nicer than my cat.

So what do you guys think? Does the colour of a cat really have an effect

on
its personality? Or is my cat just mean? (Which I would take full
responsibility for, if that is the case.)

My black & white long-hair, Mr Peabody, is one of the love-buggiest cats
I've ever met. Bunter, who was a dark brown/almost black Persian with a
white patch on his tummy, was also a real lover. Emily, a long-haired
tortie, is affectionate when she's in the mood - when she isn't in the mood,
she tells me in plain Cat to quit bugging her.

Brenda

Old August 30th 03, 03:42 AM
Brenda Watkins

tortoiseshell is a mixture of colors - in Emily's case, golden brown, grey,
black and cream - whereas calico is patches of white, black and orange. As
far as I know, tuxedo is black and white only. Can anyone else help
explain?

Brenda

"Not so quick" wrote in message
Can you explain the difference of tortoise
and calico? Does a tuxedo have to be pure
black and white?

Old August 30th 03, 07:28 AM
Nanny

You explained it well :-)
According to my vet a tortie shouldn't have any white to be acceptable for
shows.

--
Nanny

I still miss my ex but my aim has improved.

"Brenda Watkins" schreef in bericht