Post Office Cat

Old August 12th 16, 04:55 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

Default Post Office Cat

Not officially. I went to the Post Office to buy some stamps. Yeah, I
know some people who don't have computers so I still do "snail mail"
from time to time. There was a cute little grey tabby looking for
all the world like it was guarding the front door.

I said hello to the cat and stooped down to pet it. It scooted under a
bush. Ah, a feral. As soon as I went inside the cat resumed it's place
in front of the door again. There were lots of people going in and out.
The cat would move aside then sit back down in front of the door.

I didn't see any signs of it but someone must be feeding the cat.
Either that or there are a lot of mice or marsh rats around the Post
Office. I can't think of any other reason for her to just sit there by
the front door like that. She was cute.

Jill
Old August 13th 16, 09:32 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jack Campin

Not officially. I went to the Post Office to buy some stamps. Yeah, I
know some people who don't have computers so I still do "snail mail"
from time to time. There was a cute little grey tabby looking for
all the world like it was guarding the front door.

I said hello to the cat and stooped down to pet it. It scooted under a
bush. Ah, a feral. As soon as I went inside the cat resumed it's place
in front of the door again. There were lots of people going in and out.
The cat would move aside then sit back down in front of the door.

I didn't see any signs of it but someone must be feeding the cat.
Either that or there are a lot of mice or marsh rats around the Post
Office. I can't think of any other reason for her to just sit there by
the front door like that. She was cute.

We used to live near a chippie/Italian takeaway in the centre of
Edinburgh. They had a big ginger cat sitting by the door most
of the day. Over the years he got steadily fatter like a furry
version of "Supersize Me" and ended up like a ginger space hopper.
I presume people used to give him bits of fried fish whenever he
turned on the charm (which he did all the time). Not a good
advert for the product.

Old August 13th 16, 07:27 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

On 8/13/2016 1:30 PM, Judith Latham wrote:
In article ,
jmcquown wrote:
Not officially. I went to the Post Office to buy some stamps. Yeah, I
know some people who don't have computers so I still do "snail mail"
from time to time. There was a cute little grey tabby looking for
all the world like it was guarding the front door.

I said hello to the cat and stooped down to pet it. It scooted under a
bush. Ah, a feral. As soon as I went inside the cat resumed it's place
in front of the door again. There were lots of people going in and out.
The cat would move aside then sit back down in front of the door.

I didn't see any signs of it but someone must be feeding the cat.
Either that or there are a lot of mice or marsh rats around the Post
Office. I can't think of any other reason for her to just sit there by
the front door like that. She was cute.

Jill

I love it when there is a cat attached in someway to a shop or office.
When I started work there were two cats who lived in the building, they
were out and around the grounds at night and most afternoons they were on
a cushion, on a chair in one of the offices. The staff covered the costs
of both cats.

When you next visit the Post Office I'm sure the people who work there
will know something about the little grey cat.

Judith

The woman working there asked me if I wanted to take the cat home. No
can do. Buffy would pitch a fit. She said it just hangs out there by
the door.

Jill
Old August 14th 16, 12:56 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jeßus[_6_]

On Fri, 12 Aug 2016 11:55:39 -0400, jmcquown
wrote:

Not officially. I went to the Post Office to buy some stamps. Yeah, I
know some people who don't have computers so I still do "snail mail"
from time to time. There was a cute little grey tabby looking for
all the world like it was guarding the front door.

I said hello to the cat and stooped down to pet it. It scooted under a
bush. Ah, a feral. As soon as I went inside the cat resumed it's place
in front of the door again. There were lots of people going in and out.
The cat would move aside then sit back down in front of the door.

I didn't see any signs of it but someone must be feeding the cat.
Either that or there are a lot of mice or marsh rats around the Post
Office. I can't think of any other reason for her to just sit there by
the front door like that. She was cute.

It's cool to see things like that. Our local club has a tabby that has
been there close to a year now. Most people bring their dogs too and
yet this cat remains unscathed and happy to mingle amongst people.
Old August 14th 16, 12:57 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jeßus[_6_]

On Sat, 13 Aug 2016 14:27:34 -0400, jmcquown
wrote:

The woman working there asked me if I wanted to take the cat home. No
can do. Buffy would pitch a fit. She said it just hangs out there by
the door.

"Hey lady, you got some spare dry food?"
Old August 16th 16, 12:57 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bastette

Jack Campin wrote:

[...]

I remember a cat who lived at an inn I used to go to several times a year.
He was an enormous black cat, very friendly, and managed to convince
people who were having their breakfast out on the deck to give him
something from their dish.

One year I went to this place for Thanksgiving. The propriators cooked
this huge dinner buffet, and everyone sat in the living room having dinner.
And the big black cat would go from group to group, doing his "I'm so
hungry, they never feed me here" impression for each one. He really scored
that day.

I think he weighed about 29 pounds, and he was not a Maine Coon or any
other large breed. He was also about 19 years old. Amazingly, he was pretty
active - well, about as active as any member of a species that sleeps
16 hours per day - and could still jump up on the furniture. Which just
goes to show that a cat's mandate to be naughty will overcome any potential
physical obstacle.

--
Joyce

When you finish, you have a complete (you hope) set of characters. So you call it a "character set". And because you're in a funny mood, instead of calling the numeric identifiers "numeric identifiers", you call them "code points".
-- Steve Ferg, "Unicode Beginners Introduction for Dummies Made Simple"
Old August 16th 16, 01:12 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy[_3_]

wrote:

[...]

Many years ago my adult kids and I traveled to Europe. We stayed in a
B&B in Amsterdam, and they had a resident cat. He would roam the
building, and if you opened your door (or left it ajar) he'd come in for
a visit.
Old August 16th 16, 03:37 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bastette

Joy wrote:

Many years ago my adult kids and I traveled to Europe. We stayed in a
B&B in Amsterdam, and they had a resident cat. He would roam the
building, and if you opened your door (or left it ajar) he'd come in for
a visit.

I've probably told this story here before, but one time 3 friends and I
went and stayed in a nice area outside of San Francisco. The place we
stayed at was on a plot of land, with several individual cottages scattered
around. The four of us rented one cottage.

There was a resident cat on the grounds. He would wander around and
occasionally visit someone in one of the cottages if they left their door
open. I guess he must have come into our cottage, but I was still asleep
at the time. I should mention here that all 4 of us were insane cat lovers,
and they no doubt pounced him. They then gently placed the cat on my
pillow, which woke me up. Aww! Kitty! How sweet. Except that the cat
apparently didn't feel the same way - he hightailed it out of there. I
could just hear him: "OMG! Cat lovers! Help! Get me out of here!!"

--
Joyce

I've gone running from the devil
At times I've beaten down his path

Old August 17th 16, 12:18 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jack Campin

Bastette wrote:
I've probably told this story here before, but one time 3 friends and I
went and stayed in a nice area outside of San Francisco. The place we
stayed at was on a plot of land, with several individual cottages scattered
around. The four of us rented one cottage.

There was a resident cat on the grounds. He would wander around and
occasionally visit someone in one of the cottages if they left their door
open. I guess he must have come into our cottage, but I was still asleep
at the time. I should mention here that all 4 of us were insane cat lovers,
and they no doubt pounced him. They then gently placed the cat on my
pillow, which woke me up. Aww! Kitty! How sweet. Except that the cat
apparently didn't feel the same way - he hightailed it out of there. I
could just hear him: "OMG! Cat lovers! Help! Get me out of here!!"

A few years ago we stayed at the Bon Ton hotel in Langkawi,
Malaysia - it's a group of restored traditional wooden Malay
houses, next to a cat sanctuary. They had several resident
cats (not from the sanctuary but related to them, with odd
stumpy tails), and the way it seemed to work was that each
cat had one of the houses as its home territory. They all
knew exactly where their own fridge was and when the milk
arrived. As far as they were concerned the place just had
a very high turnover of staff, all of whom were told their
duties on arrival.