Tough Decisions

Old August 24th 03, 09:07 PM
Jo Firey

Default Tough Decisions

I have a really tough decision to make and maybe could use some purrs and prayers for
guidance. Our tiny poodle is almost 16 years old. Her twin sister died several
months ago.
She has had heart trouble for several years but the medicine controls it. She is
blind. She used to get around pretty well, but now has a hard time getting in from
the back yard in daylight and bumps into things getting around the house. She has
gradually lost her hearing and is now stone deaf. So she mostly stays on the bed, (a
waterbed so she can tell where the edge is) or on the sofa if we will put her up. We
have to carry her outside to do her business as she will no longer go willingly. She
is good in knowing when her feet hit grass what she should do. And accidents are
getting more frequent. She still follows her nose around the house, likes to be held
and likes treats. But I'm not sure she finds the water as often as she should and
she doesn't eat her ordinary food very well. She seems very anxious when she is
moving around.

My spouse thinks she is fine. I'm not so sure. I owned her mother and delivered her
myself so it will be hard to let her go, but I'm thinking it is time.

--
Jo Firey

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take
our breath away."

Old August 24th 03, 09:18 PM
Karen Chuplis

in article , Jo Firey at
wrote on 8/24/03 3:07 PM:

[...]

Aww. I know it's tough. My prayers are with you for strength.

Karen

Old August 24th 03, 09:38 PM
lrulan

Whatever decision you make will be the right one for you and for the pet. We
know it's difficult. We will pray that you find the strength when the time
comes.
Jazz & his mama

--

Irulan
from now until the end of time

Old August 24th 03, 10:18 PM
Christine Burel

"Jo Firey" wrote in message
[...]

Jo, I'm sorry you're having to go through this but it sounds like you summed
up her quality of life pretty well; that's what decided it for me with
Shetra. Big hugs and purrs to help you from us.
Christine

Old August 24th 03, 10:35 PM
polonca12000

Can you tell if she is happy or sad? If you can, maybe that can help you
decide. It really is tough.
Lots of hugs for you, Jo, and purrs and best wishes for your poodle,
--
Polonca & Soncek

"Jo Firey" wrote in message
I have a really tough decision to make and maybe could use some purrs and

prayers for
guidance. Our tiny poodle is almost 16 years old. snip

Old August 24th 03, 10:47 PM
Pat

If you were 105 years old, blind and deaf, but still had an appetite (even a
light one) and were still mobile (even if you do bump into things and feel a
bit trepidacious when you have to walk through the house), would you want to
be euthanized?

Can you keep her in a small cage some of the time (like when you are not
around or are really busy) where she has water that's easy to find?

It kind of sounds to me like she's more of an inconvenience to her human(s)
than a danger to herself.

I find myself wondering if any pets ever die natural deaths anymore.

Old August 24th 03, 11:03 PM
Jo Firey

"Pat" wrote in message ...
If you were 105 years old, blind and deaf, but still had an appetite (even a
light one) and were still mobile (even if you do bump into things and feel a
bit trepidacious when you have to walk through the house), would you want to
be euthanized?

Can you keep her in a small cage some of the time (like when you are not
around or are really busy) where she has water that's easy to find?

It kind of sounds to me like she's more of an inconvenience to her human(s)
than a danger to herself.

I find myself wondering if any pets ever die natural deaths anymore.

That is a really good idea. We used to block off the entry way in the house when we
had puppies. Gave them an area about 6ft square with waterproof floor. And it has
quite a bit of light. I'm going to see if I can set it up for her for when we can't
watch her. She pees on the bed if we aren't careful, and sometimes falls off the
sofa. But her old space may become her new space part time.

We don't mind the inconvenience but don't always remember she needs so much more help
now. It's just hard to judge her anxiety level vs her comfort level.

Jo

Old August 25th 03, 12:54 AM
Yowie

"Jo Firey" wrote in message
[...]

What a hard and heartwrenching decision to make. But you will know when it
is time, she will tell you if you know how to listen, and I think you do.

Purrs and gentle wags for the strength to do the right thing.

Yowie

Old August 25th 03, 02:43 AM
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

Pat wrote:

If you were 105 years old, blind and deaf, but still had an appetite (even a
light one) and were still mobile (even if you do bump into things and feel a
bit trepidacious when you have to walk through the house), would you want to
be euthanized?

Yes, definitely! (Unfortunately, humans don't have that option, but our
pets do - if we have the courage to weigh their situation objectively.)
Old August 25th 03, 02:45 AM

Yoj wrote:

"Pat" wrote in message
If you were 105 years old, blind and deaf, but still had an appetite

(even a
light one) and were still mobile (even if you do bump into things and

feel a
bit trepidacious when you have to walk through the house), would you

want to
be euthanized?

Can you keep her in a small cage some of the time (like when you are

not
around or are really busy) where she has water that's easy to find?

It kind of sounds to me like she's more of an inconvenience to her

human(s)
than a danger to herself.

I find myself wondering if any pets ever die natural deaths anymore.

That is certainly one point of view. Personally, if I were in that
condition, I would much rather be euthanized than be confined to a small
cage.

That makes two of us!

Joy