Scottie is hospitalized with FUO

Old February 5th 06, 04:39 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Default Scottie is hospitalized with FUO

My almost 9 year old orange kitty, Scottie, became ill suddenly on
Wednesday. He was perfectly normal in the morning. That night there
were outdoor neighborhood cats outside howling and Scottie seemed
peculiar, kind of distant and preoccupied, and I thought it had to do
with those cats. He didn't eat his favorite treats and was very
subdued. Thursday morning he was laying in exactly the same spot he
had been in when I went to bed Wednesday night. He didn't get up or
eat breakfast. I worried about him all day at work and left early and
got him into the vet. He had a temp of 105. They did all the
bloodwork and a chest x-ray and the vet wanted to keep him but I hate
leaving my cats overnight so I took him home with antibiotics. Friday
we got the blood results, all fairly normal except a very high white
count.

Meanwhile he was not eating. I syringe fed him Friday morning before I
went to work. When I got home that night he was even more lethargic,
not even lifting his head. I syringe fed him again, he barfed a little
later. Several hours later, I syringe fed him again and he promptly
vomited.

Today we took him back in and left him there on IVs (dextrose, B
complex, reglan, injectable antibiotics) and they are syringe feeding
him but also giving him reglan IV so he doesn't barf. They might have
to tube feed him but I am hoping not. I absolutely hate having one of
my cats at the vet. It's not a 24 hour vet so there's no one there now
at night. Someone will be in at 5 am and although they are closed on
Sunday, someone stays all day long and we will be allowed to visit him.
Poor little guy. He's a former feral and doesn't do well at the vet
but he is so sick now that he isn't fighting them. I worry that he
will get very fractious as he improves but, of course, I want him to
improve quick and get home. His temp was 104 when they took it so
maybe he is slowly improving. They are worried about hepatic lipidosis
which is partly why they wanted to keep him and also because they feel
IVs are the best protocol in these cases of fevers of unknown origin.

I feel sad when one of them isn't here. Abbey, Scottie's little
sister, is very sad and confused as they are very close. I worry about
stupid things like the vet clinic burning down or someone leaving a
door open and allowing him to escape. I voiced my fears so the vet
knows I'm nuts now but I just can't help it. I hate having them out of
my control.

We had originally had an appt. at the vet today for Abbey to have a
chest x-ray to see if she could discontinue her meds that she has been
on since last May for chylothorax. I was excited at the prospect of
getting good news because Abbey had not been expected to survive last
May and now seems perfeclty healthy. But instead, we took Scottie in
instead of Abbey.

Send him some good healing thoughts if you want, he could use them. My
cats always seem to get seriously ill.

Candace

Old February 5th 06, 05:31 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

On Sat, 04 Feb 2006 20:39:27 -0800, Candace wrote:

[...]

We are sending get well purrs for Scottie...and quickly! MLB

Old February 5th 06, 06:54 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"Candace" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

purrs from all of us here that the vet can discover the cause and treat him
and that he gets better ((((candace))))

Old February 5th 06, 04:07 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Purr coming for poor little Scottie. I hope he gets well quickly.

--

Hugs,

CatNipped

oups.com...

Old February 5th 06, 07:28 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Healing purrs from us too. I'm so sorry to hearing that Scottie is
sick, Candace. Hang in there.

hugs,
Lauren (and Mickey & Meesha)

Old February 10th 06, 03:57 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Default UPDATE: Scottie is hospitalized with FUO

PawsForThought wrote:
Healing purrs from us too. I'm so sorry to hearing that Scottie is
sick, Candace. Hang in there.

hugs,
Lauren (and Mickey & Meesha)

Not much to update really. He's still there. On Tuesday his temp was
normal in the a.m. so they said I could pick him up that evening but
his temp went back up and has stayed up ever since. Tonight it was
back to 105 when I was there. He's on polyflex, doxycycline, B
complex, reglan, gets a tube shoved down his throat twice a day to be
fed. Eats a little on his own. He had not vomited which was good and
then tonight when I was there I was attempting to feed him with a spoon
and he barfed some mucousy stuff. He hadn't had a bowel movement for
over a week but the vet said he wasn't constipated but today they gave
him some lactulose and he did have one apparently. I don't know if it
had something to do with the lactulose that made him barf mucous or if
he now has fanother horrible symptom. It's odd because when I was
there tonight, he felt cooler and seemed more alert so I was shocked
that his temp was so high.

It's all very discouraging that nothing has changed. I suggested a
full body x-ray today, which they did, and it was normal. His cocci
test came back today negative. Everything else was already negative
except the high white count. I hate to think of money amidst all this
but it's pricy having an animal hospitalized this long who is showing
no improvement. We can go awhile longer but not indefinitely by any
means.

Abbey is very sad, cries a lot and doesn't seem happy. She and Marbles
hate each other so he is no comfort to her. I feel miserable and can
hardly sleep at night but this week and next week are, without a doubt,
my very worst at work all year so I can't miss any days. Work is the
last thing I care about now so it's quite an effort to show up, much
less be very productive and act like I care...which I don't.

If you can spare some healing thoughts and good wishes or prayers for a
little orange kitty in Phoenix, it could possibly help him. Or
visualize him in a green light. Thanks.

Candace

Old February 10th 06, 04:06 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"Candace" wrote in message
ups.com...

[...]

Poor Scottie, poor you. I hope he gets better soon, Candace.

Old February 10th 06, 06:16 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

On Thu, 09 Feb 2006 19:57:06 -0800, Candace wrote:

PawsForThought wrote:
[...]

Purrs and prayers being sent for little orange kitty in Phoenix. Purrs
that recovery will be complete. MLB

Old February 10th 06, 08:40 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Candace wrote:
If you can spare some healing thoughts and good wishes or prayers for a
little orange kitty in Phoenix, it could possibly help him. Or
visualize him in a green light. Thanks.

Candace

Damn, Candace, I am sorry to hear it. I will certainly send him
some healing vibes.

-L.