Rob's Memorial Service

Old March 26th 10, 10:02 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
tanadashoes

Default Rob's Memorial Service

Jerry of the 101st AVN retirees wants to arrange for the Patriot Guard
Riders as escort for the memorial. Robert would have appreciated this.
He respected and applauded the Patriot Guard Riders and all they did.
We know that his memorial service will be at 1:00 pm (13:00) on April
9 at the Main Post chapel with Chaplain Lorenzen officiating. His ashes
will be interned at 2:00 pm (14:00) at the Sandhills State Veterans
Cemetery. Flowers and other memorials may be delivered to the cemetery
between 1:30 and 2:00 pm of that day. The address is 400 Murchinsen Rd,
Spring Lake, NC 28390. They must stand at attention and salute when
appropriate (sorry but this is so regimented that I'm finding it all
funny.) People may remember Rob as SPC or SGT Robert G. Shirk. He was
a Blackhawk guy all the way although he loved anything to do with
flight. He called army aviation "the world's greatest roller coaster
ride, and I get paid too." Rob was known for his puckish sense of
humor, although he became much more serious after the Gulf War. He said
that he saw more than enough misery to go around.

Rob served with:

4/101st AVN Battalion (or was it Brigade?) Ft Campbell, KY 1984-5

4/7 CAV at Camp Stanley, Korea 1985-6

4/101st AVN Battalion (or was it Brigade?) 1986-1990

326 Medical Company Landsthul, Germany 1990-1992

He was in Desert Shield/Storm, November 1990-April 1991

4/3 Armored CAV Ft Bliss, TX 1992-1995

US Army Recruiting Station, Sacramento CA 1995-1996

1-52nd AVN (White Horse) Seoul Army Air Base, Seoul S. Korea 1996-1997

2nd Support Center, Ft Bragg, NC1997-1999

1-52nd AVN (White Horse) Seoul Army Air Base, Seoul S. Korea1999-2000

57th Medical Co, Ft Bragg, NC 2001-2003

Rob was medically retired in 2003 with Brain cancer attributed to
exposure to Sarin and Cyclo-Sarin gases during Desert Storm. During
that same rescue mission Robert was also exposed to the smoke from oil
well fires started on orders from Saddam Hussein and his minions. Don't
tell me that Sadist Hussein had no weapons of self destruction.

Rob had the funniest personality of anyone I ever met and could tell a
great story. He loved to relax, read, talk, play various games (I still
remember Skip-Bo across America), beat me at cribbage, play RPGs (role
playing games), be dragged to museums and other places he declared that
he wouldn't enjoy, and spend time with his family and friends. Animals
loved him and he loved them in return. He liked hanging out with his
kitty buddies and loving on them.

We don't have a restaurant yet for an after cemetery get together, but
we hope to meet at Chili's as it was one of his favorite places. I'll
let you know if/when we get one. I seriously think it is against the
law for us to do anything without something seriously strange and/or
funny happening.

I miss him so much.

Pam Shirk

Old March 26th 10, 10:20 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christine BA[_3_]

26.3.2010 23:02, tanadashoes kirjoitti:
snip
We don't have a restaurant yet for an after cemetery get together, but
we hope to meet at Chili's as it was one of his favorite places. I'll
let you know if/when we get one. I seriously think it is against the law
for us to do anything without something seriously strange and/or funny
happening.

I miss him so much.

Pam Shirk

First of all ((((((((((((Pam)))))))))))))

Dunno if it's strange or funny, but to me, Rob is connected with kites
ever since you told me that he was a master at flying kites. And now I
had a vision before my mind's eye, of it being a windy day for his
memorial, and there being loads of kites in the sky, either against a
crisp blue sky or silhouetted against the yellow-orange-red of the
setting sun...

--
Christine in Finland
christal63 (at) gmail (dot) com
Old March 26th 10, 11:55 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_2_]

"Christine BA" wrote in message
[...]

What a beautiful tribute that would be. I know of a couple who, having lost
their son after only 90 days after his birth, arranged to have 90 balloons
released into the sky at his funeral.

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old March 27th 10, 12:29 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Will in New Haven

On Mar 26, 4:02*pm, tanadashoes wrote:

I miss him so much.

Love you both. But I love the love you have for each other just as
much. It's an inspiration.

--
Will in New Haven

Old March 27th 10, 12:32 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Cheryl[_3_]

It's good to hear from you sweetie. Please take care of yourself. You've
already gotten all of the condolences, so I'm not sending anymore though I
feel them in my heart. You might find yourself missing things that only Rob
knew the whereabouts of. Ask him when you need him. Talk to him. He's
listening.

Old March 27th 10, 12:34 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Cheryl[_3_]

"CatNipped" wrote in message

What a beautiful tribute that would be. I know of a couple who, having
lost their son after only 90 days after his birth, arranged to have 90
balloons released into the sky at his funeral.

My sister does the balloon release thing as a memorial lots of times. She's
raised her twins with that tribute. For the anniversary of Eric's death
this year, the kids brought balloons to the cemetery and one for me. We all
wrote on them, then said a prayer and let them fly.

Old March 27th 10, 12:43 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kyla =^..^=[_5_]

That was just beautiful.
(((((((Pam)))))
Love,
Kyla

Old March 27th 10, 07:23 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Matthew[_3_]

[...]

Pam I am so sorry. I wish I could say something that will make it alright
through the tears I am pouring out. Rob and your family touched me in a
special way when we met. Even though we only spent a small amount of time
together. I thought of you all as family. I always will and have had you
all in my prayers

I read this and thought of you all. It is for Fallen soldiers

Dear my fallen soldier
I hoped you would come home
But when the men came up to my door
I knew I'd be alone

We were expecting him home today
But home he did not come
She would never see him again
She lost the battle she wished she won

She would never hug him again
She cries every night
The sorrow that came over her
She'll never be alright

She wishes she could have said goodbye
To the one she'll always love
She wants to remember him
As the hero he once was

Dear my fallen soldier
I know that you are gone
But I know you're watching over me
So I will remain strong

She asks god why it had to be him
She wishes he would hold her
But she will always remember him
Her brave, fallen soldier

Old March 27th 10, 08:32 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
NettieCat

On 26 Mar, 23:34, "Cheryl" wrote:
"CatNipped" wrote in message

What a beautiful tribute that would be. *I know of a couple who, having
lost their son after only 90 days after his birth, arranged to have 90
balloons released into the sky at his funeral.

My sister does the balloon release thing as a memorial lots of times. *She's
raised her twins with that tribute. *For the anniversary of Eric's death
this year, the kids brought balloons to the cemetery and one for me. *We all
wrote on them, then said a prayer and let them fly.

I know how much it must help to do something as a tribute to a lost
loved one, but it horrifies me that animal lovers like the people in
this group are still advocating balloon releases. The effect on
wildlife of this practice is detrimental and causes a lot of
suffering. Please check out this article by the Marine Conservation
Society about the effect of balloons on marine animals such as baby
whales, dolphins, and rare species such as turtles.

http://www.ukrivers.net/balloon_fact.html

Jeanette

Old March 27th 10, 08:43 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Granby

That was beautiful. My thought was, "Lord, had it only been that simple".
"Matthew" wrote in message
g.com...

[...]

Memorial Service Information for Christy jmcquown[_2_] Cat anecdotes 38 January 12th 09 01:09 AM
Capt. Midnight's Memorial Service ChildFree23 Cat community 37 February 18th 06 03:26 PM
Capt. Midnight's Memorial Service ChildFree23 Cat community 0 February 7th 06 03:37 AM
Memorial Service KaN Cat anecdotes 23 July 24th 05 04:18 AM
The Memorial Service Julie Cook Cat anecdotes 15 December 11th 03 05:52 AM