fleas in warm climate

Old January 14th 04, 09:29 PM
Foxsrus1

Default fleas in warm climate

can't see em...can't kill em...they survive everything here...including burning
hot soapy wash...cold wash...bleach...all kinds of detergent....they go thru
the heat of the dryer and STILL are in the sheets and clothes.
Is there nothing I can use in the laundry to kill these things? My cat is
safe...(Advantage) but I'm not.
help, please!
Old January 15th 04, 03:21 PM
andr0meda

Rather than keeping your cat free of them, I don't know.... I also live in a
warm place (Gold Coast of Australia - currently up to 40 Deg C), and fleas
absolutely adore me......but my cat has none. I am however, pretty
'patterned' (huge 'love-bites' from mosquitoes). My cat is not roaming free,
therefore fleas are not a major problem here. I am building a large cat
enclosure for her in the coming months, and then 'visiting' cats may bring
some fleas over through the fence.
Regards,
Andr0

Old January 15th 04, 11:11 PM
stlibf

I live in Houston & have been in this apt. for 1.5 yrs, came from out
of state. B4 I moved in, they showed me the place B4 they cleaned it
up after the previous tenant (they dont usually do that!), Her dogs
had ruined the carpet it was FOUL. I demanded new carpet. I suspect
they only changed the carpet & left the pad. When I moved in the place
had fleas. (At this time I didnt have pets)Id never seen a flea in my
life B4 I moved here. Cats/dogs I had in the past never needed to be
medicated as they never had fleas. I was sitting on the carpet as my
furniture hadnt been delivered, and felt horribly itchy. I didnt think
it could be fleas because Id never been exposed to them or seen one.
When I relaized it was fleas, I was disgusted. I tried EVERYTHING
short of a professional.
The apt. is supposed to pay for that but dont get me started. They all
died off on their own in the winter. As soon as the weather got warm
again ARRGH! By the time that summer came around, I had a cat, and
they were feasting on him. Advantage didnt work unless I gave him a
double dose, which is not good, plus I STILL had to flea bathe him
almost weekly! This is an indoor cat!
I think I heard that fleas lay their eggs in a place other than where
they "feed". Meaning when you do laundry you may kill the adult fleas
(fleas drown in water, so you MUST be killing them!), but more eggs
are hatching every minute. Not all flea products kill all the stages
of flea life. Look at product labels and try some that kill eggs,
larvae, AND adults, OR the ones that interfere with the life cycle
making the larvae or egg unable to become and adult (biting) flea. Im
not an expert on this by any means. If you truly try EVERYTHING and
they arent gone, you probably have a full blown infestation and may
have to consult a professional.

Old January 17th 04, 05:46 AM
andr0meda

I don't think they have done a really good job ridding your place of fleas.
Just taken chances that you won't find out. I can understand how you
feel.....Xena is allergic to mosquito bites, just as much as I am....we both
suffer; so we have to watch-out for any other bugs like fleas together....
Andr0

om...