"Baby" Strikes Back!

Old November 24th 07, 08:49 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kreisleriana[_2_]

Default "Baby" Strikes Back!

Let me set the scene. I am lounging on my daybed, and Dante is perched on
the air cleaner near the head of the bed. I turn around and look at him
through the wrought iron frame, and begin singing to him. I sing to him "I
Can't Give You Anything But Love, Baby."

Fellow movie buffs will recognize the tune as the one Katharine Hepburn and
Cary Grant sang to the leopard Baby in "Bringing Up Baby." Great movie, one
of my favorites. But I wasn't singing it that way. I was singing it in the
manner of Judy Holliday, who sings it in an unforgettable, high-pitched,
raspy, squawky, squeaky, nasal voice while she plays gin rummy in "Born
Yesterday." Her opponent in the game, Broderick Crawford, endures this for
a few bars before thundering, "DO YA MIND???!!!"

Dante was absolutely riveted, especially by the percussive little
interjections I made between phrases (BA-BOOM!), a la Judy, a la burlesque.
His eyes bored into mine, and of course, I should have known it would
happen-- Dante came SHOOTING off the air cleaner, directly at my head,
crashed into it, bounced off, and went charging up the stairs.

I've always played these kinds of silly "chicken" games with the boys, but
singing had never worked quite like that before!

Old November 24th 07, 10:28 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Kreisleriana drtmuiratearthlink.net wrote:

Dante was absolutely riveted, especially by the percussive little
interjections I made between phrases (BA-BOOM!), a la Judy, a la burlesque.
His eyes bored into mine, and of course, I should have known it would
happen-- Dante came SHOOTING off the air cleaner, directly at my head,
crashed into it, bounced off, and went charging up the stairs.

I've always played these kinds of silly "chicken" games with the boys, but
singing had never worked quite like that before!

Reminds me of that video of the 3 women singing the theme song to the
Meow Mix commercial (Meow Mix is dry cat food, and the song is just a
bunch of "meow meow meow meow, meow meow meow meow..." in descending
notes). Anyway, they're singing it badly, and suddenly out of nowhere,
a siamese cat jumps onto the back of the couch where the women are sitting,
races across the back while letting out a screech, and then jumps off and
runs away. A fitting commentary.

Sounds like you have a new game to play with Dante!

I've never been attacked while singing, but Smudge always looks at me
like she's worried I'm in pain.

Joyce
Old November 24th 07, 11:19 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Exocat[_2_]

"Kreisleriana" drtmuiratearthlink.net wrote
Let me set the scene. I am lounging on my daybed, and Dante is perched on
the air cleaner near the head of the bed. I turn around and look at him
through the wrought iron frame, and begin singing to him. I sing to him
"I Can't Give You Anything But Love, Baby."

ROTFLMAO - Everyone's a critic!

I wonder how he'd react to the "Cat Duet" (Victoria de los Angeles and
Elisabeth Schwartzkopf)?

Perhaps your mother could assist....

If you're still alive afterwards please feel free to report

Purrs
Gordon & the FF

Old November 24th 07, 11:21 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Exocat wrote:

"Kreisleriana" drtmuiratearthlink.net wrote

Let me set the scene. I am lounging on my daybed, and Dante is perched on
the air cleaner near the head of the bed. I turn around and look at him
through the wrought iron frame, and begin singing to him. I sing to him
"I Can't Give You Anything But Love, Baby."

ROTFLMAO - Everyone's a critic!

I wonder how he'd react to the "Cat Duet" (Victoria de los Angeles and
Elisabeth Schwartzkopf)?

Perhaps your mother could assist....

If you're still alive afterwards please feel free to report

Ha ha ha!!! This brings up some interesting images.

Joyce
Old November 24th 07, 11:32 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jack Campin - bogus address

Reminds me of that video of the 3 women singing the theme song to the
Meow Mix commercial (Meow Mix is dry cat food, and the song is just a
bunch of "meow meow meow meow, meow meow meow meow..." in descending
notes).

Is that Rossini's "Cats' Duet"? (I don't have a TV and I doubt the same
commercial would have run this side of the pond anyway). There should
be umpteen renditions of it on YouTube by now.

Old November 25th 07, 02:52 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Jack Campin - bogus address wrote:

Reminds me of that video of the 3 women singing the theme song to the
Meow Mix commercial (Meow Mix is dry cat food, and the song is just a
bunch of "meow meow meow meow, meow meow meow meow..." in descending
notes).

Is that Rossini's "Cats' Duet"?

Oh, I think I know which song you're talking about! My women's chorus
did this (well, two women from the group did it as a duet), but I was
on a hiatus from the group during that time so I didn't get to hear it.
I just remember the title.

I'm pretty sure, though, that the commercial is quite different. If
it were in the key of C, the melody would go like this (one note for
each "meow"):

c b a g | c b a g | c b c c# | d b a g

d b a g | d b a g | d c# d d# | e c a g

Repeat...

Joyce

Old November 25th 07, 03:14 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kreisleriana[_2_]

"Marina" wrote in message
Kreisleriana wrote:

Dante was absolutely riveted, especially by the percussive little
interjections I made between phrases (BA-BOOM!), a la Judy, a la
burlesque. His eyes bored into mine, and of course, I should have known
it would happen-- Dante came SHOOTING off the air cleaner, directly at my
head, crashed into it, bounced off, and went charging up the stairs.

ROFL!

I've always played sort of a "death-wish peek-a-boo" game with Stinky in
which
I hide behind something and pop out at him until he launches directly at me.
But this was the first time I initiated an attack through singing
alone.

Old November 25th 07, 03:17 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kreisleriana[_2_]

"Jack Campin - bogus address" wrote in message
Reminds me of that video of the 3 women singing the theme song to the
Meow Mix commercial (Meow Mix is dry cat food, and the song is just a
bunch of "meow meow meow meow, meow meow meow meow..." in descending
notes).

Is that Rossini's "Cats' Duet"? (I don't have a TV and I doubt the same
commercial would have run this side of the pond anyway). There should
be umpteen renditions of it on YouTube by now.

Nope, the Cat Duet ("Duetto per due gatti") is a pretty sophisticated bel
canto piece written by a master, set to "meows," and made moderately famous
by Elisabeth Schwarzkopf and Victoria De Los Angeles. The "Meow Mix" jingle
is pretty much just a jingle, although it is a fearsome earworm.