BENGAL cats

Old April 25th 05, 05:07 PM

You need to identify where I have said I'm looking for "guarantees."

Of
course, such is actually your personal inference because you're on

the
defensive. I am out to discover if the cat breeds I have an interest

in are
suitable ... and to that end you are of no assistance. Once I have
sufficient input from those who have these breeds, -I- ... not you,

will
choose a particular cat based partly on what I have learned from

owners of
the breed and partly from what a particular cat displays to me.

Philip, just MO, and again from personal experience, but while specific
breed characteristics might raise the probably that a particular breed
will behave in a particular way, it sure doesn't always hold true. I
think your remark about choosing a cat based on behavior tendencies a
specific, particular cat displays toward you is much more indicative of
what that cat/kitten is going to be like.
At one time I'd have probably suggested you get a Beanie Baby, but I'm
starting to understand that *everyone* isn't as passionate toward cats
as most of us regular posters are, but still make excellent cat owners
with the right match. I still think, though, that a shelter kitten or
"pre-owned" cat that's carefully screened can be found that would suit
you perfectly. Not all shelter cats have behavior issues.
I also agree that homing a cat with "issues" to someone with your
strict criteria would be the wrong-est thing to do.

Sherry

Old April 25th 05, 05:14 PM
Mary

wrote in message
ups.com...

Philip wrote:
-L. wrote:
Philip wrote:

Hmmm. There are times when the cat would have to be left to

his/her
own amusement for 24 hrs, maybe longer. Not often but still ...
Rusty was okay for 3 days alone in the house but when we return,
there was an aloofness for awhile and that look of "YOU left me
ALONE ... you turds!" But this only happens once a year.

Honestly, Phillip, all of the qualities you are looking for can be
found in a shelter Moggie. If you are not interested in adopting

an
older cat, look at the kittens. You can develop a bond from the
beginning, and it will be a very special relationship throughout

your
lives. No cat will ever replace the one you lost, but they each

have
their own special qualities that you will grow to love.

-L.

Thank you -L. The wife and I are aware of this reality. A kitten is

preferred for the reasons of bonding. Yes, I've gone thru the

bonding
exercises via hand feeding for the first few weeks and all that. So

there
is latitude here for temperament. Something between a lap cat and

one that
hooks into the accoustic ceiling when startled. LOL

But then, in my humble and somewhat expert opinion(*1), the
kitten-bonding thing is sort of crapola. The bonding would be solely on
*your* part, not the kittens. Older cats seem to bond just as well.

I cannot imagine any cat bonding more closely with me than
Cheeky, and she was about 2 when I adopted her. It is part of
the reason I recommend a full-grown cat that has been in a
shelter for a while. Because they staff can tell you how they
are with people. And because there was no question about
it when I walked up to her and she leaned into my hand.
The very gesture showed how much she liked affection
and (silly maybe but still what I think) how much she
wanted someone to belong to, not just to feed her.

Old April 25th 05, 05:22 PM
Mary

wrote in message
oups.com...

Of all my second-hand cats, Biskit is the one that I'd really love to
know her history. I know there is neglect, and abuse, judging from the
condition she was in, and having to have a BB removed from her side.
But she has the funniest, oddest little behavioral traits--makes me
wish she could talk.
1. She "digs" at the door and windows, or pictures on the wall,
mirrors. Stands on her hind legs and paws like she's digging a hole.

Gnarly did this but neither of my current cats do. I wish I could
figure out why they do this. For Gnarly, like for Biskit, it is windows
and mirrors, but also glossy magazines.

2. She is absolutely *terrified* of the outdoors. Used to be even open
windows. Like the "out" was going to come in and get her.
3. She plops at my feet if I'm in the kitchen and rolls on the tile
floor. She will continue to roll till I say, "ohhhh Bikkie, you're
cuuuute." Then she stops and goes about her business.

This is funny!

4. She will have *nothing* to do with the other cats. She doesn't
fight, but doesn't interact at all. She won't even eat with them.

Hmm. Almost sounds like she had a bad time with cats *and*
people. Poor baby.

5. If I"m sitting down, and she wants in my lap, she "asks" first. Just
a tiny little meow, and if I "invite her" she jumps up.

Cheeks does this. She does it when she wants to approach
me for petting when we are in bed, too--she begins all the way
on the other side of the bed, making little meows, then pauses
and peeks around to see if I am awake! It's very cute. But the
day I knew she had claimed me as her own was the day she
matter-of-factly climbed up on my hip as I slept on my side
and perched there and had a bath, then went to sleep! It
was clear that she felt entitled.

Old April 25th 05, 05:41 PM
Philip

You need to identify where I have said I'm looking for "guarantees."
Of course, such is actually your personal inference because you're on

the
defensive. I am out to discover if the cat breeds I have an
interest in are suitable ... and to that end you are of no
assistance. Once I have sufficient input from those who have these
breeds, -I- ... not you, will choose a particular cat based partly
on what I have learned from owners of the breed and partly from what
a particular cat displays to me.

Philip, just MO, and again from personal experience, but while
specific breed characteristics might raise the probably that a
particular breed will behave in a particular way, it sure doesn't
always hold true.

LOOK ladies ... get off the "guarantees" and "always" track. :^/ The
choice will be a "good fit". I know this will sound horrible in the ears of
the most eccentric here but ... cats are not an endangered species nor are
they children. If you really think otherwise, then you need to visit a
child abuse wing at your local hospital to get your sensibilities adjusted.
Please get a grip.

I think your remark about choosing a cat based on
behavior tendencies a specific, particular cat displays toward you is
much more indicative of what that cat/kitten is going to be like.
At one time I'd have probably suggested you get a Beanie Baby, but I'm
starting to understand that *everyone* isn't as passionate toward cats
as most of us regular posters are, but still make excellent cat owners
with the right match.

Very well stated and I agree. :-)

I still think, though, that a shelter kitten or
"pre-owned" cat that's carefully screened can be found that would suit
you perfectly. Not all shelter cats have behavior issues.
I also agree that homing a cat with "issues" to someone with your
strict criteria would be the wrong-est thing to do.

Sherry

Sherry, your compassion is moderated by pragmatism and .... I like that
(which may **** off the eccentrics here. LOL).

Well, it's off to the dentist. My turn. Argh.

Old April 25th 05, 06:07 PM
-L.

Philip wrote:

Ok, let's talk about this point. Here are some unacceptable

behaviors:
Repeatedly urinating in random locations about the house.

Just some thoughts:

Any cat will do this if it has a urinary tract infection. Declawed
cats will often do this out of frustration and/or pain, and often the
inappropriate elimination cannot be stopped.

Defecating on a
pillow or other places beyond the litter box.

This is usually a medical problem - sometimes a behavioral one. Cats
don't have many ways to communicate, and sometimes peeping and pooping
are the two ways they do it.

Shredding furniture.

This can be avoided, and Megan (zuzu) has excellent ways to get around
problem scratching behavior on her site http://www.stopdeclaw.com. But
all cats or kittens will try to scratch furniture before they are
trained where to scratch appropriately.

Biting
visitors.

Cat ususally bite when they are overstimulated. That's their way of
saying "stop touching me."

Frequent / expensive vet bills due to physical / genetic defects.

Don't get a purebred, then. I can tell you that by and large, the
number of animals with thick files at the feline specialty hospital I
worked, were purebred.

This is going to sound cold and unloving to read but here goes: An

indoor
cat resides with me/us at our descretion.

Of course, but taking on the responsibility of a pet is a serious
decision, and should be seen as a life-long committment.

Cats have always figured out the
simply behavior rules pretty quick. Even the rare times Rusty would

yak up a
furball, he'd do it on the tile floor a few feet away from the litter

box
... not on a fabric surface. (you probably don't want to know how I

taught
him where it was ok to yak).

Ok, well, that's a little anal, but some cats prefer to yak on tile.
All I hope is that you trained him with kindness.

I disagree. Furthermore, you are making assumptions.

Just be aware that kittens stay kittens for a *long* time and the
training period may be extensive. It's easy to get frustrated because
by and large cats don't do what we want - that's part of the
attraction, IMO.

Did you get Rusty as a kitten?

You point here is a logical one. Thank you. :-)

Megan's suggestion of an older foster is a good one. In most adopt
situations, if the cat isn't a good fit, you can return him to the
foster home. Obviously we (people who work in rescue) like to avoid
that as much as possible, so the screening process is often times
pretty extensive. If you are willing to start from the beginning with
a hoolikitten, the rewards are great and the entertainment is non-stop.
But with the kitten comes less-than-cute kitten behavior that has to be
tolerated - scratching and biting are two. If you are afraid to be
scratched or bitten, don't get a kitten. That being said, all animals
will bite under certain circumstances.

Best of luck to you in your decision. Keep us posted.

-L.

Old April 25th 05, 06:14 PM
-L.

Philip wrote:

Dear lady ... calm down. Contain your hostility.

From the beginning, I had no doubt that I would meet up with a person

or two
operating with an unhealthy dedication to their pets. You have

suggested as
much with your "birthing a baby" analogy.

Oh God. Please tell me someone didn't really say "birthing a
baby"...that is so disrespectful of children. Cats aren't children.
Cats deserve love and dedication like children do. Companion animals
are a life-long committment. But they are in NO WAY the same as having
a child. That's ludicrous.

These same people can possess
medical and behavioral insights simply because they have immersed

themselves
in their pets. These people are eccentric. By the same token

"CapNipped",
there is probably another cat owner more involved than even you who

would
suggest in moment of passion that YOU should own a stuffed animal.

Believe
it.

You need to identify where I have said I'm looking for "guarantees."

Of
course, such is actually your personal inference because you're on

the
defensive. I am out to discover if the cat breeds I have an interest

in are
suitable ... and to that end you are of no assistance. Once I have
sufficient input from those who have these breeds, -I- ... not you,

will
choose a particular cat based partly on what I have learned from

owners of
the breed and partly from what a particular cat displays to me.

Just be aware that despite what breeders will tell you, "pure-breeding"
is in fact "inbreeding". Accumulation of negative genetic traits
happens with the positive ones. By and large random-bred cats are more
healthy due to hybrid vigor. If you want to talk more about this, feel
free to send me an email at gentleboa (at) peacemail (dot) com.

-L.

Old April 25th 05, 06:16 PM
-L.

Philip wrote:
always hold true.

LOOK ladies ... get off the "guarantees" and "always" track. :^/

The
choice will be a "good fit". I know this will sound horrible in the

ears of
the most eccentric here but ... cats are not an endangered species

nor are
they children. If you really think otherwise, then you need to visit

child abuse wing at your local hospital to get your sensibilities

adjusted.
Please get a grip.

I don't think Sherry is one who equates children with animals.

-L.

Old April 25th 05, 07:09 PM
CatNipped

"-L." wrote in message
oups.com...

Oh God. Please tell me someone didn't really say "birthing a
baby"...that is so disrespectful of children. Cats aren't children.
Cats deserve love and dedication like children do. Companion animals
are a life-long committment. But they are in NO WAY the same as having
a child. That's ludicrous.

Oh what a craven coward you are Lyn. You can't even quote someone *ELSE*
who wrote my screen name. Watching you pretend you can't see what I write
cracks me up, but this is getting pathetic when you have to alter what
*other* people write in order to snipe at me "anonymously".

As much as Megan freaks me out with her outrageous behavior, she is at least
woman enough to address directly what I write and doesn't try to hide behind
someone else to take pot shots at me. How cowardly is *THAT*!!! You're
ridiculous!

Old April 25th 05, 07:15 PM
CatNipped

"CatNipped" wrote in message
"-L." wrote in message
oups.com...

Oh God. Please tell me someone didn't really say "birthing a
baby"...that is so disrespectful of children. Cats aren't children.
Cats deserve love and dedication like children do. Companion animals
are a life-long committment. But they are in NO WAY the same as having
a child. That's ludicrous.

Oh what a craven coward you are Lyn. You can't even quote someone *ELSE*
who wrote my screen name. Watching you pretend you can't see what I write
cracks me up, but this is getting pathetic when you have to alter what
*other* people write in order to snipe at me "anonymously".

As much as Megan freaks me out with her outrageous behavior, she is at
least woman enough to address directly what I write and doesn't try to
hide behind someone else to take pot shots at me. How cowardly is
*THAT*!!! You're ridiculous!

Oh, and please, nobody respond to this post - I want to see how long it
takes her to twist the words of *another* post in order to answer this one
that she "doesn't see"!! LOL!

Old April 25th 05, 08:04 PM
Mary

"Philip" wrote in message
link.net...
CatNipped wrote:

Philip, *PLEASE* buy a stuffed animal and *don't* get a cat! There
are *NO* guarantees that *ANY* cat you adopt will not do any of the
above (and *NO* I *DON'T* want to know how you taught him where it was

OK
to yak). To
me (and to a lot of us here) adopting a cat is like adopting, or
birthing, a baby - you take what you get and love him/her no matter
what problems come along with him/her.

Dear lady ... calm down. Contain your hostility.

From the beginning, I had no doubt that I would meet up with a person or

two
operating with an unhealthy dedication to their pets.

Phillip, I'm sorry, but she is right. It could be that you might just be
overly anal and controlling in the planning phase, but just on the off
chance you will actually be like this with the cat you adopt, I think
you should reconsider. And you do NOT want a kitten. You will
wind up being cruel because you cannot control it to your
satisfaction. Maybe a very well mannered adult shelter cat that
has been there a long time, even one that someone else has
declawed.

The phrase "unhealthy dedication" is very telling. I think you have
an unhealthy dedication to your own convenience, your furniture,
your rugs. The rule is (and it is a good one) anything with a
pulse outranks anything without a pulse.

And please, don't act like you did not expect your comments
to upset people. You are in a group where most of the people
who read and post really love cats. Use your head.