faint shriek, faint Enid's vet bill.

Old April 12th 06, 12:13 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default faint shriek, faint Enid's vet bill.

"Adrian A" wrote in message

I am not best pleased. I would like to have saved Enid for Shylock's
sake but really.. a goose is a goose, he would have got fond of
another in couple of weeks.
Waiting for the necropsy results.

Tweed
stunned

If they'd have saved Enid, then that would have been worth it.

Yes. I would not have minded the cost, I'd have found it somehow.

That's a lot
of money with nothing to show for it, saying you're not best pleased, I
suspect is an understatement.

Yes, it is ;-)

I hope you soon find a mate for Shylock.

I'll see how he is to decide what to do. He is not himself at all and is
not eating properly. He will not be going to the vet. He may well be
pining so I'll wait a couple of weeks and see how he feels then.

Tweed

Old April 12th 06, 01:24 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"Helen Miles" wrote in message
news:f8759e2b1551e735688b521284b9fb3d.76411@mygate .mailgate.org...
"Christina Websell" wrote in
message

You will not believe Enid's vet bill that came today.

I am not best pleased. I would like to have saved Enid for Shylock's

sake
but really.. a goose is a goose, he would have got fond of another in

couple
of weeks.
Waiting for the necropsy results.

Tweed
stunned/////

Holy cow! That is a hell of a lot for some antibiotics and a couple
nights stay in hospital. What did they do? Give her room service with a
TV?

Did that include the necropsy?
Helen M

Well, I think you tried your best for her and Shylock because you cared for
both of them. So, to me, it isn't a matter of you can get another goose for
20 pounds...you tried to save your and Shylock's friend. I think you were
being loyal and there isn't a price for that.

Back in November, we did all we could for Omar to try to give him a good
chance. The vet bill was $1,000+ and we still lost him but I would do it
again. As it is, I'll be paying it off for awhile.

hugs,
Christine

Old April 12th 06, 02:06 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On 2006-04-11 17:34:34 -0500, "Christina Websell"
said:

"Helen Miles" wrote in message
news:f8759e2b1551e735688b521284b9fb3d.76411@mygate .mailgate.org...
"Christina Websell" wrote in
message

You will not believe Enid's vet bill that came today.

I am not best pleased. I would like to have saved Enid for Shylock's sake
but really.. a goose is a goose, he would have got fond of another in couple
of weeks.
Waiting for the necropsy results.

Tweed
stunned/////

Holy cow! That is a hell of a lot for some antibiotics and a couple
nights stay in hospital. What did they do? Give her room service with a
TV?

Did that include the necropsy?
Helen M

Blood sample excluding lab fee... 4.80
Medlab Avian Health One (??).. 25.50
Administer drip excluding fluid.. 15.00
FLOW CONT TUB 10ML/4 HR (??).. 9.24
Balloon Infusion Pump.. 10.00

two pages of this sort of stuff.

They are doing the post-mortem for nothing.. hahaha nothing.. 2
hundred quids worth of vet fees for a goose and they say it's for
nothing! I suppose they might be worried she had bird flu. Which
would add insult to injury.
I hope they hurry up with the results, Shylock isn't well now. I need
to know if it's something contagious she had or whether he's just
pining.
Tweed

Let us know. Poor Shylock. I wondered about the bird flu too, or heck,
just some other flu. Can you put antibiotics in Shylocks food "just in
case"?

Old April 12th 06, 02:44 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

I understand how you feel, Tweed. I mean, a pet is a pet, but we do love
them and do whatever we can for them. The vet bill for my darling Romeo came
to over $1,500 and I'll be paying it off for some time. Having said that, I
would gladly pay that much again to have Romeo back with me. I am on a
Disability Support Pension, so I do understand how hard it is to make ends
meet. I tell my friends that while they have car bills and mortgage bills, I
have my darling cats' bills instead. :-)

Purrs,
Flippy in Melbourne, Australia.
Catpage: http://www.flippyscatpage.com

Please consider helping to keep the catpage online. Purchase:
Cat Stuff: http://members.westnet.com.au/flippy/kittystuff/
Other Items: http://members.westnet.com.au/flippy/otheritems/
Used Books: http://members.westnet.com.au/flippy/usedbooks/
Catpage Donations: http://www.flippyscatpage.com/donate.html

"Christina Websell" wrote in message
You will not believe Enid's vet bill that came today.

The vet did warn me that the bill would escalate to 200 pounds if I went
for the endoscopy so I said to hold off for a couple of days to see how
the antibiotics worked and if they didn't I'd think again.

The invoice is for 233 pounds 30 pence and Enid never got the endoscopy,
as she died before it came about. Everything is itemised, but for g sake
who in their right mind would spend all this money on a goose when you can
buy another for less than 20 quid, a bit more sometimes.

Old April 12th 06, 02:45 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

In article 2006041120065775249%kchuplis@alltelnet, Karen
wrote:

Let us know. Poor Shylock. I wondered about the bird flu too, or heck,
just some other flu. Can you put antibiotics in Shylocks food "just in
case"?

A great deal of antibiotic resistance comes from using the drugs "just
in case". While we don't have many drugs that work against viruses,
there are four that have activity against influenza A, the type to
which the "highly contagious" H5N1 avian flu belongs.

There are two older drugs, amantadine and rimantidine, and the newer
ostelmavir (Tamiflu) and zanamavir (Relenza). The Chinese fed
amantadine to fowl "just in case", and now the H5N1 strain is resistant
to the first two drugs. Two less drugs that can be used in humans, and
indeed cats.

Yes, there are cases when antibiotics are appropriate after a known
exposure, or in such cases as a contaminated wound. Many are not benign
drugs with respect to side effects, and there is the constant fear of
developing resistance.
Old April 12th 06, 03:26 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Christina Websell wrote:
The invoice is for 233 pounds 30 pence and Enid never got the endoscopy, as
she died before it came about. Everything is itemised, but for g sake who
in their right mind would spend all this money on a goose when you can buy
another for less than 20 quid, a bit more sometimes.

I know what a pound is, but I have no idea what a pence or a quid is. In
any case, we pay vet bills because our pets are family.
Purrs to you and your wallet!

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he

Old April 12th 06, 03:42 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"Flippy" wrote in message
I understand how you feel, Tweed. I mean, a pet is a pet, but we do love
them and do whatever we can for them. The vet bill for my darling Romeo
came to over $1,500 and I'll be paying it off for some time. Having said
that, I would gladly pay that much again to have Romeo back with me. I am
on a Disability Support Pension, so I do understand how hard it is to make
ends meet. I tell my friends that while they have car bills and mortgage
bills, I have my darling cats' bills instead. :-)

I know what you mean. I have no car or mortgage bills, but plenty of cat's
bills. I have no earned income, and it will be a few more years before I can
get
a pension.

Winnie

Old April 12th 06, 04:43 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Victor Martinez wrote:
Christina Websell wrote:
The invoice is for 233 pounds 30 pence and Enid never got the
endoscopy, as she died before it came about. Everything is itemised,
but for g sake who in their right mind would spend all this money on a
goose when you can buy another for less than 20 quid, a bit more
sometimes.

I know what a pound is, but I have no idea what a pence or a quid is. In
any case, we pay vet bills because our pets are family.
Purrs to you and your wallet!

Purrs for you and Shylock continue.

--
Sam, closely supervised by Mistletoe
Old April 12th 06, 08:36 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"Flippy" wrote in message

I do understand how hard it is to make ends
meet. I tell my friends that while they have car bills and mortgage bills, I
have my darling cats' bills instead. :-)

Purrs,
Flippy in Melbourne, Australia.///

I once got told by a 60 a day smoker who went out clubbing 3 or 4 times
a week that I was stupid to spend so much money on my cats, especially
since I was always struggling financially.

I've never smoked, I very rarely drink, and my social life is not
exactly "on the wild side". At the moment, I quite often miss out on the
basics to make sure that the furry ones are fed properly and get the vet
care they need.

You can't put a price on a friends life.

Helen M

Old April 12th 06, 10:21 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Victor Martinez wrote:
Christina Websell wrote:
The invoice is for 233 pounds 30 pence and Enid never got the
endoscopy, as she died before it came about. Everything is
itemised, but for g sake who in their right mind would spend all
this money on a goose when you can buy another for less than 20
quid, a bit more sometimes.

I know what a pound is, but I have no idea what a pence or a quid is.
In
any case, we pay vet bills because our pets are family.
Purrs to you and your wallet!

Pence is the plural of penny, there are 100 pence to the pound, a quid is a
nickname for the pound much like buck for a dollar.
--
Adrian (Owned by Snoopy and Bagheera)
Cats leave pawprints on your heart.