sigh Another trip to the vet

Old December 16th 09, 08:14 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Irulan

Default sigh Another trip to the vet

aw, poor Mir-mir. Lily says get well quick! It's Christmastime!

Lily & her mama

"Marina" wrote in message
Miranda started vomiting on Saturday. On Sunday, she ate a little, but
then she vomited again, and it continued even after her tummy was empty.
When I got home from work on Monday, I saw she'd been sick here and there
during the day, though she hadn't eaten anything. So I called the vet and
got an appointment for today (Tuesday).

Long story short, she tested positive for giardia. She spent a few hours
at the vet's being rehydrated. Now she's home again. The good news is, she
went straight for her food when she got out of the carrier, and she looks
much perkier than she has the past few days. She ate a few pieces of
boiled chicken.

The bad news is, I have to give both cats worming pills every day for the
next ten days. Mir also got something for nausea and a probiotic and
Pepcid for her tummy. After five days, I have to clean everything the cats
have touched with hot water and/or clorite.

--
Marina, Miranda and Caliban.
In loving memory of Frank and Nikki.

--
Irulan
from the stars we come

Old December 17th 09, 06:24 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
tanadashoes

Marina wrote:
[...]

You poor people!!! Am asking the owners to send their very best purrs
and am sending my best healthy wishes for you all. Is there any
possibility of you getting Giardia from Mir? How about Caliban?

Pam S. concerned
Old December 17th 09, 06:31 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
tanadashoes

Marina wrote:
Gandalf wrote:

Giardia is a water borne parasite; my guess would be that she picked it
up on the island, when she went missing last summer.

It's strange that it took this long for it to show up.

Apparently, a healthy immune system can suppress the parasite, but Mir
has been feeling poorly lately, so she developed the infection.

You may be right about the island (Deb suggested the same on Facebook).

Just did a bit of reading about Giardia on Wikipedia (yeah, I know, but
I didn't want to wade through webmd) and had the same thought.
According to what I gathered the usual time for symptoms to show is 1-2
weeks, but a healthy body can harbor the parasite for some time.
Considering how nasty our oceans are, all she had to do was drink the
water at the island, or eat an infected animal. ARGH.

Hoping that it all comes out for the best.

Pam S.
Old December 17th 09, 08:16 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Marina

tanadashoes wrote:
Just did a bit of reading about Giardia on Wikipedia (yeah, I know, but
I didn't want to wade through webmd) and had the same thought. According
to what I gathered the usual time for symptoms to show is 1-2 weeks, but
a healthy body can harbor the parasite for some time. Considering how
nasty our oceans are, all she had to do was drink the water at the
island, or eat an infected animal. ARGH.

Hoping that it all comes out for the best.

Thanks, Pam. She has been great today, my old Miranda is back! She's
been eating like a champ, and only being her normal finicky self
(Caliban can't come too close while she is eating, I have to present her
plate to her from the right angle, etc). She climbs the cat tree and
looks expectantly at me to come and 'beat her up'. A bit of
rough-housing and she is purring her silent little purr. I'm so happy to
have my real Miranda back.

The medication has been going fairly well. She's such a good girl, once
I catch her, but she's wise to the fact that I *will* catch her and
shove stuff in her mouth every morning, but eventually she lets me get
her. I've mixed Caliban's crushed pills into a pouch of gooshyfood every
morning.

*SIGH* HRFLTiger Cat anecdotes 16 April 24th 06 02:49 AM
*****SIGH***** CatNipped Cat anecdotes 28 March 21st 06 09:55 PM
Sigh .. is this going to end?? Rob Poe Cat anecdotes 9 January 3rd 06 09:26 PM
here we go again ::sigh:: Helen Miles Cat anecdotes 22 November 22nd 05 06:42 PM
Sigh Cat Protector Cat health & behaviour 38 February 29th 04 11:43 PM