Outdoor cat poisoning - report back

Old April 10th 05, 08:20 PM
Ashley

"Meghan Noecker" wrote in message
On Sun, 10 Apr 2005 20:34:42 +1200, "Ashley"
wrote:

"Meghan Noecker" wrote in message
On Sun, 10 Apr 2005 16:07:16 +1200, "Ashley"
wrote:

I don't want to get in arguments here. But I'll just point out the
obvious:
if you work during the day and let them out only when you're home, and
follow the recommendations not to let them out at night, then they are
indoor cats.

That doesn't make sense. If they go outside, then they are
indoor/outdoor cats.

Just because they are outside less than 8 hours a day does not make
them indoor only cats.

If it's dark when you leave and dark when you get home ...

You didn't say the cats weren't going outside.

I said "if you follow the recommendations not to let them out at night"

And the conditions you
mention are not year round, nor do most people work every day of the
week.

This happens in many places in winter.

And in many places, it doesn't. You set up very specific conditions. A
lot of people get off work before sundown, even in the winter. Many
people work evenings and are thus home during the morning and early
afternoon.

I said "if you work during the day" (as the majority of people do)

Mosty people have at least one day off each week.

And who said anything about 8 hours?

If people work 8 hours and sleep 8 hours, then the remaining time is 8
hours or less.

And travel to/from work for 1-2 hours. And do your shopping. And don't spend
all your free time at home.

But, enough. I've pointed something out, you choose not to acknowledge it.
That's fine - I don't want this to degenerate as these conversations almost
always do, so I shall leave you to it.

Old April 10th 05, 08:54 PM
Meghan Noecker

On Mon, 11 Apr 2005 07:20:19 +1200, "Ashley"
wrote:

And travel to/from work for 1-2 hours. And do your shopping. And don't spend
all your free time at home.

Well, if you aren't at home much, why would you even consider letting
your cat outside. You'd only see them for a couple hours at best.

You have implied on many occasions that you see your cat as much as
indoor only people see theirs. And then you go onto say that your cats
are indoor cats during the winter. All I did was point out the holes
in your claim.

But, enough. I've pointed something out, you choose not to acknowledge it.

You created a false situation, and I pointed it. Try again with a real
situation.

After all your claims of no dangers and plenty of time spent with your
cats, you then claimed that your cat is indoor. Do you really expect
us to believe that?

--
Meghan & the Zoo Crew
Equine and Pet Photography
Old April 10th 05, 09:06 PM
Alison

"Meghan Noecker" wrote in message
If a cat prefers to poo outdoors then in normal health

circumstances
or a bit loose , it can/will hold on if it wants but I'm still a

bit
doubtful that if a cat had the runs bad it can hold it over night.

Overnight? I thought all the outdoor people said they have kitty
litters in the house !?! Why would the cat have to wait

overnight?

The cat doesn't *have* to wait overnight. Go back and read
Phils and my posts again.
BTW Not *all* I/O owners have cat trays. I never said that and as
far as I know , no one else has.
Alison

Old April 10th 05, 09:53 PM
Ashley

"Meghan Noecker" wrote in message
On Mon, 11 Apr 2005 07:20:19 +1200, "Ashley"

After all your claims of no dangers

I have claimed no such thing.

Old April 11th 05, 12:08 AM
Alison

"Alison" wrote in message

"
The cat doesn't *have* to wait overnight. Go back and read
Phils and my posts again.
BTW Not *all* I/O owners have cat trays. I never said that and as
far as I know , no one else has.
Alison

Sorry if this sounds a bit terse. I should have put a smiley in it
somewhere.
Alison

Old April 11th 05, 11:49 AM
Phil P.

"Alison" wrote in message

"Phil P." wrote in message
nk.net...

...and that's very important. In addition to not noticing a

urinary tract
obstruction, a chronically constipated cat can develop megacolon -

which
often requires surgery to remove a large section of the colon..

Also how about tumours in the rectum, that would make a cat strain?

Yea, as well as colonic neoplasia or polyp, rectal stricture, rectal foreign
body, rectal prolapse - even excessive fiber.

Back to square one. An indoor owner is more likely to notice

elimination problems than an owner whose cat eliminates outdoors and
out of sight and
sound - indoor owners would also hear cries of pain whereas an

outdoor owner
would not...

yes I agreed that with you back at sq 1. But as I've already said
, I think all cat owners should have indoor trays and be kept in at
night . The cats I mean !

Bu bu but many people let their cats outdoor *because* they don't want to
deal with the waste or scooping and cleaning litter boxes.

Not necessarily if the cat is accustomed and prefers to eliminate

outdoors.
Cats have the ability to voluntarily inhibit elimination until the

time and
place of their choosing..

If a cat prefers to poo outdoors then in normal health circumstances
or a bit loose , it can/will hold on if it wants but I'm still a bit
doubtful that if a cat had the runs bad it can hold it over night.
My experience has been they poo on the carpet , tray or not !

Many cats will hold it in. But this doesn't answer the question about
constipation.....

I'm just a volunteer in a shelter rescue org, but I have a small

in-house
lab for minor tests and a small clinic for nursing and

rehabilitating sick
cats, and holding ferals after neutering. I also manage feral

colonies..

How do you stop bringing all the cats home?

Its getting more and more difficult for me to release ferals after
neutering. Our shelter cats, however, are 'home'. They have their own
little communities and culture and best buds and not a worry in the world
for the rest of their lives. Sometimes, it actually saddens me to home a
cat and break up their relationships -- its very obvious that some cats
actually morn the loss of a close buddy - they don't know he's gone to a new
home - all they know is he's gone. Then I have to worry about the
adoptive - might turn out to be an idiot like Kagis. At least I know the
cats are safe and receive the best medical care at the shelter.

I always respected your
medical knowledge , if I needed to know anything I would ask you.

Thanks. One of the by-products of shelter/feral work is that you have to
deal with many diseases and injuries that many owners and vets have not and
will not ever see - especially in a neighborhood practice.

I'm
going to put these points together and post around my cat forums to
give people an idea what to look out for.
Alison

Great idea. Maybe some of these points will make a few people think twice
about swinging open the door.

Phil

Old April 11th 05, 12:27 PM
Phil P.

"CatNipped" wrote in message
"Phil P." wrote in message
nk.net...

I'm just a volunteer in a shelter rescue org, but I have a small

in-house
lab for minor tests and a small clinic for nursing and rehabilitating

sick
cats, and holding ferals after neutering. I also manage feral colonies.

Phil

Don't say "just" - you do more for cats than 99.9999999% of cat owners or
cat lovers.

I just don't have the emotional fortitude to work with sick or unwanted
cats,

I couldn't live with myself if I didn't. Maybe I was a cat in a previous
life...

so I assuage my guilt over this by giving money.

You're helping to save lives - You're part of the solution! ;-)

But I have *SO* much
respect for those who can and do work untiringly and unstintingly to help
those cats everyone else sees as "throw-away" lives!

I'll tell you this - working with these creatures and seeing their lives,
changes your feelings about people in general... and not for the better.

Phil

Old April 11th 05, 01:55 PM
Mary

"Phil P." wrote

yes I agreed that with you back at sq 1. But as I've already said
, I think all cat owners should have indoor trays and be kept in at
night . The cats I mean !

Bu bu but many people let their cats outdoor *because* they don't want to
deal with the waste or scooping and cleaning litter boxes.

This has to be true, particularly since nobody will admit to it.

Old April 11th 05, 01:57 PM
Mary

"Phil P." wrote

But I have *SO* much
respect for those who can and do work untiringly and unstintingly to

help
those cats everyone else sees as "throw-away" lives!

I'll tell you this - working with these creatures and seeing their lives,
changes your feelings about people in general... and not for the better.

I imagine that is true. There are many other endeavors that have the
same effect.