cat sick -- possibly tapeworms or cancer

Old January 5th 04, 06:36 PM
Terry Richards

Kinda wrote:
We've got a little black kitten that moved in our house when her real
owners moved away and left her. She looked pregnant at the time
(early October). Now it's early December and it's definitely not a
pregnancy. I was hoping it might be tapeworms but I gave her a home
remedy with no effect. Her stomach is distended, not as much in the
back as up front towards the rib cage, and now it feels like she has
an infected gland on the right side.

What's going on?

from:
http://www.healthypet.com/Library/cat_dog_health-22.htm
What to do

Bloat must be treated by a veterinarian immediately. If she suspects
your pet has bloat, your veterinarian can stabilize him and treat him
for shock by giving him intravenous fluids and monitoring his heart
rate, breathing, and blood pressure. She can check for the condition by
performing a physical exam and abdominal X rays. She can also check for
gas in his stomach by inserting a tube through the esophagus or
inserting a needle through the abdomen. If an animal is diagnosed simply
with bloat, that is if the stomach hasn't become twisted, sometimes the
veterinarian can simply decompress the stomach with the tube or needle
and no other treatment is necessary.

If an animal has GDV, on the other hand, he will most likely need to be
treated surgically. During surgery, a veterinarian can untwist and
reposition the stomach so that material can move through it. Then she
can examine the tissue of the stomach to make sure it wasn't injured or
deprived of blood when it swelled. She can also check the spleen, which
is attached to the stomach and can be damaged when the stomach twists.
Often veterinarians will also perform a gastropexy during surgery, which
involves attaching the stomach to the abdominal wall so it won't twist
again in the future. A dog that has had bloat is at a great risk of GDV
in the future if a gastropexy isn't done.

maybe you could find a sympathetic vet
:-) ^2

Old January 5th 04, 10:57 PM
Kinda

Default cat sick -- possibly tapeworms or cancer

We've got a little black kitten that moved in our house when her real
owners moved away and left her. She looked pregnant at the time
(early October). Now it's early December and it's definitely not a
pregnancy. I was hoping it might be tapeworms but I gave her a home
remedy with no effect. Her stomach is distended, not as much in the
back as up front towards the rib cage, and now it feels like she has
an infected gland on the right side.

What's going on?

I can't afford a vet. Is there anything I can do?

-Geoff

Old January 5th 04, 11:03 PM
yechidah

Sounds like there is an obstruction in the intestinal tract. This could be
worms, this could be a hairball, this could be a *kink*.

I would give him/her some Rescue Remedy in a dropper - about 2-3 drops. Then
start putting some warm compresses on the intestinal area with light but
relatively deep and gentle massage. If it is too painful for it, just start
with the compresses. What other symptoms are there? Nose dry and hot? How
are the eyes? Are the ears hot? Is he/she playful? Good appetite? How old?
Was she spayed? What are you feeding him/her?

YS

"Kinda" wrote in message
om...
We've got a little black kitten that moved in our house when her real
owners moved away and left her. She looked pregnant at the time
(early October). Now it's early December and it's definitely not a
pregnancy. I was hoping it might be tapeworms but I gave her a home
remedy with no effect. Her stomach is distended, not as much in the
back as up front towards the rib cage, and now it feels like she has
an infected gland on the right side.

What's going on?

I can't afford a vet. Is there anything I can do?

-Geoff

---
Checked by AVG anti-virus system (
http://www.grisoft.com).

Old January 5th 04, 11:15 PM
Cathy Friedmann

It's kind of you to have taken in this kitten. Otoh, if you're going to
keep her, you really need to find a way to get her a vet appt. She needs a
physical, & if it's worms (probably, is my pure guess), the vet can give her
the correct treatment to rid her of them. (Have you noticed any little
rice-like looking thingies on her rear end? That's one symptom of
tapeworms.) She may also have ear mites, fleas, etc. that need dealing
with, & what the vet can give you is better than OTC stuff - except that
Advantage, etc. are now OTC - whereas they used to be only available through
a vet.

I take it she's not spayed, since you initially suspected a pregnancy?
She'd need this done, too, & fairly soon.

cost - you could start w/ the local shelter(s) & ask if they have, or if
they know of, a program w/ their own vet(s), or another area vet, who will
do the needed check-up & treatments at a reduced cost, or on a sliding
scale. In the meantime, if you plan on keeping her, you could set aside a
tiny amount of $ each month, in view of future ver appts. Once you set up a
good relationship w/ a vet, they are mire likely to give you some slack at
some future point when vet services are needed, but you're low on cash. If
you use a cc, that's another avenue. At least you would be able get her
treated, & can worry about the payment the following month.

Cathy

("The Boy in the Bubble") Paul Simon
om...