Can Hyperthyroidism CAUSE High Liver Enzymes ...

Old July 19th 04, 08:10 PM
Mary

Default Can Hyperthyroidism CAUSE High Liver Enzymes ...

in cats with no liver damage?

This is apparently the question.

Talked to my vet today, and he will agree that Buddha should have Tapazole
before the ratiation treatment if I can find an article that says that
hyperthyroidism can cause high liver enzyme readings in blood tests when
there is no real liver damage present.

He already knows that hyperthyroidism can cause liver damage and that this
is what the elevated enzymes in the last test might mean.

He agrees that hyperthyroidism can mask kidney disease by indicating normal
kidney function in blood test, when there is actually kidney disease present
that shows up after thyroid hormone levels are brought back to normal.

Is this clear? I am searching for an article that says that hyperthyroidism
can cause elevated liver enzymes in the absence of real liver damage--so
that when Tapazol is used to bring thyroid hormone levels back to normal, we
find that liver function is actually normal.

Any help will be greatly appreciated. We see him this afternoon.

Old July 19th 04, 09:10 PM

This article says that it does:
http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Con...16&SourceID=42

Megan

nothing."

-Edmund Burke

Learn The TRUTH About Declawing
http://www.stopdeclaw.com

Zuzu's Cats Photo Album:
http://www.PictureTrail.com/zuzu22

way."

- W.H. Murray

Old July 19th 04, 09:10 PM

Old July 19th 04, 09:25 PM

Here's another link that has a sample blood profile of a hyperthyroid
cat that also shows elevated liver enzymes:
http://www.lbah.com/Feline/hyperthyroidism.htm

Old July 19th 04, 09:40 PM

Here's another link that has a sample blood profile of a hyperthyroid
cat that also shows elevated liver enzymes:
http://www.lbah.com/Feline/hyperthyroidism.htm

Megan

And this is the clincher...

"After 2 weeks of treatment the thyroid level (arrow at top) and liver
enzyme levels (lower arrows) have shown a significant improvement."

-mhd

Old July 19th 04, 10:17 PM
Mary

wrote in message
This article says that it does:
http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Con...16&SourceID=42

Megan

Thank you. By the time I got to his office my vet had found an article that
says so. Now all Buddha has to do is have a urine test and she can go on
Tapazole. (We tried today but her bladder was empty.) I take her back in the
morning to have another go at collecting urine.

If she is shown to have normal kidney function after she is on Tapazole for
a while (we have not discussed how long) we can go ahead with the
radioactive iodine treatment.

I appreciate everyone's help with this. Although in a perfect world all vets
would know everything there is to know, I am still happy with mine because
he at least listens. Now that he knows, he can try other cats who show
elevated liver enzymes on Tapazole to make certain their hyperthyroid is not
masking kidney disease.

Old July 19th 04, 10:27 PM
Mary

And this is the clincher...

"After 2 weeks of treatment the thyroid level (arrow at top) and liver

enzyme levels (lower arrows) have shown a significant improvement."

This is great. I am so glad she is not as old as many hyperthyroid cats are
when diagnosed, because she is stronger and there are apt to be less
complications with both the medication and the radiation. I just hope we
find that her renal and liver function are normal after the round of
Tapazole.

I mentioned that I found it odd that she shows none of the really classic
"outer" symptoms of hyperthyroid, such as an unkempt-looking coat and a low
weight. The doctor pointed out that in addition to her elevated heart rate
(300 bpm) and thryroid hormone level (10+) she LOOKS like a hyperthyroid
cat. I asked what that meant and he said "she looks hyper-alert." This is
true, and part of what has always made her so funny to watch. When she plays
her reflexes are super fast, and she never has that "heavy lidded" look most
cats do. This is the cat who, when I hold her a minute too long, stares at
me wide-eyed and stiff-arms me, curls her lip back and bitches at me. No
growl, no hiss, just "Meh meh meh, mmmrowwllll!!" Another part of the
syndrome is irritability. Buddha gets comfortable on my lap on the couch and
if I move she rips off a mean meowwwll and HISSES at me as she gets down.
Very reactive. Thanks for your help. Let's hope we can get a urine sample
tommorow and get her started on Tapazole.