Is it wrong to want another purebred?

Old March 30th 05, 06:18 PM
Mary

"Hemmaholic" wrote in message
oups.com...
"Phil said. . . Yeah, I've met a lot people like you who feel helping
strays and ferals or
even volunteering in a shelter somehow justifies buying a 'purebred'
-- as
if they're rewarding themselves for the good they do. "

I resent the implication that because I have chosen to purchase a
purebred I am somehow "rewarding" myself for the "good I do".

I will not, however, justify my decision to you or any other narrow
minded people who think anything other than a "short/long haired
domestic, aka: alley cat" is the only breed anyone should ever share
their lives with.

How many animals do you have, how many feral colonies have you helped
to set up and how many do you, personally, care for? Or do you just
pontificate and try to force your views on others?

Hemma

Heh.

Old March 31st 05, 12:32 AM
Bolo

If you are to cheap to buy a purebred,then fine go get a free one from a
shelter or from the free kittens ad from the news paper.But if you want a
good cat stop smoking or drinking and use the money to buy a purebred.

"Brian Link" wrote in message
Going through old photos today, and came across a directory filled
with pics from when we were thinking about buying a Bengal (which we
did, and he's wonderful). Most are from this site:
http://www.tibcs.com/petcorner/photos.php

After having been through an ordeal with a stray, and knowing the
incredible number of discarded cats available for adoption, is it
morally wrong to think of adopting another purebred?

We've adopted six strays over the last ten years. We bought our Bengal
primarily because we wanted a cat whose personality could be
determined before hand, so it would keep our playful, energetic Tiger
company. This was a specific case that's worked out fantastically..
http://www.discant.com/Cat/Henry%20001.jpg

But I really love this breed - and if we can get ahold of a kitten,
there's a better chance that Louis won't go nuts.

Just a thought. Breeders will continue to breed no matter what we do,
and poor strays will get euthanized no matter what we do. But is this
just rationalizing?

Eh.. I'm not totally driven to take in another cat, but I keep
wondering what Louis will do when Tiger finally dies.. it would be so
nice for him to have another friend around. Also I'd be happy to hear
others' thoughts about adopting from a shelter vs adopting a purebred.

BLink

Old March 31st 05, 02:25 AM

"Oh please. Kittens that are not adopted end up on the kill-pile as
well. have you not ever worked in a kill shelter? The puppies and
kittens are killed just as the adults. Don't deny any animal destined
for the kill-pile a home.

Around here, the kittens fly out of the shelter (both the no-kill and
the municipal) and the adult cats who aren't blessed with people
outreach skills languish indefinitely if they aren't euthanized. Those
are the facts. 8/10 potential adopters want kittens. Probably 50% of
the remaining ones won't look at at a cat older than 2 or 3 years old.
It's a problem. Some of those people have to be redirected to the
enormous stock of 5 year old cats whose owners have dumped them. And
it's hard.

"A kitten is a better fit for some families -not every family is a good
fit for an adult cat"

Yeah, it's too bad the kittens grow up into adult cats then, isn't it?
I can't count the number of people who sweep in during kitten season,
pick a cutie, and then send him on back a year or two later when he's
not a baby anymore. I'm getting progressively more leery of
kittens-only folks everyday.

Old March 31st 05, 03:10 AM
Ashley

wrote in message
ups.com...

Yeah, it's too bad the kittens grow up into adult cats then, isn't it?
I can't count the number of people who sweep in during kitten season,
pick a cutie, and then send him on back a year or two later when he's
not a baby anymore. I'm getting progressively more leery of
kittens-only folks everyday.

That would be because, working in a shelter, you don't get to see much of
those who get a kitten and keep it for the next 15 years ...

I'm beginning to get more than mildly leary of the shelter folk who assume
every cat owner must be like the irresponsible ones they see the results of.
There are far too many of them on usenet.

Old March 31st 05, 03:49 AM

"That would be because, working in a shelter, you don't get to see much
of
those who get a kitten and keep it for the next 15 years ..."

I don't work in a shelter. Just volunteer on Saturday afternoons to do
some adoption counseling for cats.

"I'm beginning to get more than mildly leary of the shelter folk who
assume
every cat owner must be like the irresponsible ones they see the
results of. There are far too many of them on usenet. "

Some are, some aren't. I see some pretty scary people on a regular
basis. Not bad people, but ignorant and careless about how to take care
of a pet. My neighbor used to leave her little puppy chained up to a
soaking wet plastic doghouse in the pouring rain (until I harassed her
about it). Not a bad person, but doing a bad thing. It happens all the
time. And as I said, the "I want a little kitten, not a cat" people
have a particularly high ratio.

Old March 31st 05, 04:14 AM
Ashley

wrote in message
oups.com...
"That would be because, working in a shelter, you don't get to see much
of
those who get a kitten and keep it for the next 15 years ..."

I don't work in a shelter. Just volunteer on Saturday afternoons to do
some adoption counseling for cats.

Same diff.

"I'm beginning to get more than mildly leary of the shelter folk who
assume
every cat owner must be like the irresponsible ones they see the
results of. There are far too many of them on usenet. "

Some are, some aren't. I see some pretty scary people on a regular
basis. Not bad people, but ignorant and careless about how to take care
of a pet. My neighbor used to leave her little puppy chained up to a
soaking wet plastic doghouse in the pouring rain (until I harassed her
about it). Not a bad person, but doing a bad thing.

And no doubt would have responded well to a caring "Do you realise" instead
of harassment. Education is much more effective than badgering.

It happens all the
time. And as I said, the "I want a little kitten, not a cat" people
have a particularly high ratio.

Well, you know what, when I get new cats, I get kittens. I love the kitten
stage and I wouldn't miss it for the world. Last two I got are still here,
10.5 years later. Ones before that, sadly I had to find homes for when I
left Britain. But, you know what, I *found* a home for them, together. With
a family who adored them. People working, or volunteering as you do, see the
bad stories. Those of us who aren't like that simply don't get noticed. For
the same reason that good news doesn't sell papers.

I am, however, really sick of the lecturing "If you saw what I saw" bunch
around here, who seem to think that anyone who has slightly different views
about cats than they do must be evil, or close to it. Having said that, such
posters are progressively filling up my killfile, so their words are, in my
case, falling on deaf ears. Really advancing their cause, aren't they?

Old March 31st 05, 06:10 AM

"And no doubt would have responded well to a caring "Do you realise"
instead of harassment. Education is much more effective than badgering"

If you're talking about my neighbor, the answer is no. They received
several caring overtures which were totally ignored. They responded to
what was basically a public shaming. And again, if you're talking about
people returning kittens to shelters after they've grown up - I have
tried talking to these people - to no avail. It's always allergies,
spouses, babies, moving, it's not as cute as it used to be and that's
that..

"Well, you know what, when I get new cats, I get kittens. I love the
kitten
stage and I wouldn't miss it for the world. Last two I got are still
here,
10.5 years later. Ones before that, sadly I had to find homes for when
left Britain. But, you know what, I *found* a home for them, together.
With
a family who adored them. People working, or volunteering as you do,
see the bad stories. Those of us who aren't like that simply don't get
noticed. For the same reason that good news doesn't sell papers"

I get that your defensive reaction came from your predilection for
adopting kittens. You're right, being a responsible adopter of kittens
is better than being an irresponsible adopter of kittens. But I do
reserve my warmest thoughts and a higher level of admiration for people
who adopt troubled adult cats. It's more work, it's less common, and
they are deserving of high praise.

Old March 31st 05, 06:16 AM
Ashley

wrote in message
ups.com...

I get that your defensive reaction came from your predilection for
adopting kittens.

No, actually, it's not a defensive reaction. It's an aggressive reaction.
I'm sick to death of the holier-than-thou attitude some posters on this ng
display. In all honesty, I'm not sick-to-death of it enough for it to keep
me awake at night, nor am I sick-to-death of it enough for it to concern me
when I'm not posting, but I am sick-to-death enough of it to point it out
here a few times.

You're right, being a responsible adopter of kittens
is better than being an irresponsible adopter of kittens. But I do
reserve my warmest thoughts and a higher level of admiration for people
who adopt troubled adult cats. It's more work, it's less common, and
they are deserving of high praise.

You are assuming, tracyrose, that anyone really cares about your praise.
Some of us just care about enjoying our cats.

Old March 31st 05, 06:53 AM

I am, however, really sick of the lecturing "If you saw what I saw"

bunch
around here, who seem to think that anyone who has slightly different

about cats than they do must be evil, or close to it.

As a member of the "If you saw what I saw" camp, and I can probably
speak for Phil in that camp also, you're not nearly as sick of us as we
are of you.

Sherry