Lester - Thursday Update

Old November 27th 03, 07:56 PM
Arthur Shapiro

Default Lester - Thursday Update

Appreciate all the concern, folks...this is a fairly serious sickness.

Got to the vet last night with little trouble, somewhat surprisingly, and
received lessons on tube-feeding. Got him home by about 7 pm. He was fairly
teetery, but staggered to his favorite coverered litter box, got inside,
curled up and snoozed for a half hour. This after we had a heating pad inside
a little cat bed waiting for him. After he decided to emerge, I put him on a
bed and he curled up, purring surprisingly loudly and consistently, so I moved
the heating pad and wedged it underneath him. He was really happy all
evening, and obviously appreciated the affection..

I didn't think he'd want to jump up and down from the bed in his condition, so
to encourage him to sleep on the floor I put my sleeping bag on top of a
couple foam pads and slept with him all night, aside from getting up for the
2:30 pm feeding. Let me tell you, tile floors, even with pads, are not very
comfortable. He alternated between the top of the sleeping bag, inside it as
far down as my knees, and on the pillow. So far he hasn't eaten, of course,
and we are feeding him 5-6 ccs of this magic liquid food every four hours.

While hardly the picture of health, he looks somewhat better compared to the
rather horrifying sight on Tuesday. I've posted one picture taken a few
minutes ago, and at least it won't cause folks to run screaming:

members.cox.net/mybrainhurts/images/LesterFiveDaysAfterSurgery.jpg

What the picture doesn't show is how scrawny his body is right now.

Art
Temporary usercode - to be deleted when spam starts. Use MyBrainHurts at this ISP to reach me
Old November 27th 03, 08:16 PM
lewe

"Arthur Shapiro" wrote in message
[...]

Purrs continue - you are a good paw sleeping with him on the floor.
it's a nice pic, I do hope he will feel better and better!
--
:: lewe
lewemi at yahoo dot se || cat pics: photos.yahoo.com/lewemi

Old November 27th 03, 08:26 PM
m. L. Briggs

On Thu, 27 Nov 2003 19:56:14 GMT, (Arthur
Shapiro) wrote:

[...]

Poor baby. He does look tired but seems contented to be home. I am
sure he loved having you by his side all night (guardian angel).
Prayers and multiple purrs that he continues with a good recovery.MLB
Old November 27th 03, 09:21 PM
Steve Touchstone

Shapiro) wrote:

[...]

snip

Sounds like he's happy to be home, even if still one awfully sick guy.
It sounds obvious how much you love him, and I'm sure he's picking up
on that, too.

Purrs for his time at home to go smoothly, and continued strides for a
comlete recovery and many more years to come.
--
Steve Touchstone,

[remove Junk for email]
Old November 27th 03, 09:58 PM
polonca12000

Oh, Art, you are being such a great paw to Lester. I'm sure that with your
help he will start to feel much better really soon.
Lots and lots of purrs and best wishes for Lester and hugs for you, Art,
--
Polonca & Soncek

"Arthur Shapiro" wrote in message
Appreciate all the concern, folks...this is a fairly serious sickness.

Got to the vet last night with little trouble, somewhat surprisingly, and
received lessons on tube-feeding. snip I didn't think he'd want to

Old November 27th 03, 10:58 PM

Arthur Shapiro wrote:

I've posted one picture taken a few
minutes ago, and at least it won't cause folks to run screaming:
members.cox.net/mybrainhurts/images/LesterFiveDaysAfterSurgery.jpg

Oh, poor Lester! He's been through so much. I'm really glad he's
starting to get better, however slowly. Sounds like his chances of
pulling through are getting higher with every day.

A friend of mine has a cat who got liver disease last year (the vet
called it "hepatitis", although it might have been hepatic lipidosis,
or whatever that's called). Her cat wouldn't eat at all, and also had
to be force fed - through a tube that went directly into his stomach.
I helped her with the feedings. It was really touch and go for a long
time - he got thin and listless, and had to wear a long tube bandage
on his body to keep the feeding tube in place, plus an Elizabethan
collar around his neck. He was quite a sight! He did pull through,
though, and now he's back to the full-sized, beautiful (and very
obnoxious) cat he's always been!

Joyce
Old November 28th 03, 12:08 AM
Karen

in article wEsxb.5931$ZE1.3740@fed1read04, Arthur Shapiro at
wrote on 11/27/03 1:56 PM:

[...]

He had a very major surgery at an advanced age. Ithink he is doing really
well. His hair looks good, which is always good. I always wondered what one
of those nose feed deals looked like. Not as scary looking as I thought. I
sure hopes he continues to feel better. Many purrs and skritches of comfort.

Karen

Old November 28th 03, 01:17 AM
Helen Wheels

Arthur Shapiro wrote:
Appreciate all the concern, folks...this is a fairly serious sickness.

Got to the vet last night with little trouble, somewhat surprisingly, and
received lessons on tube-feeding. Got him home by about 7 pm. He was fairly
teetery, but staggered to his favorite coverered litter box, got inside,
curled up and snoozed for a half hour. This after we had a heating pad inside
a little cat bed waiting for him. After he decided to emerge, I put him on a
bed and he curled up, purring surprisingly loudly and consistently, so I moved
the heating pad and wedged it underneath him. He was really happy all
evening, and obviously appreciated the affection..

snip

Good to hear he's doing OK. We'll keep on purring for him.
Helen Wheels

Old November 28th 03, 01:31 AM
Sam Nash

"Arthur Shapiro" wrote in message
Appreciate all the concern, folks...this is a fairly serious sickness.

snipped
Purrs continue for Lester, and for his family.
Sam

Old November 28th 03, 03:47 AM
Marina

"Arthur Shapiro" wrote
snip

While hardly the picture of health, he looks somewhat better compared to

the
rather horrifying sight on Tuesday. I've posted one picture taken a few
minutes ago, and at least it won't cause folks to run screaming:

Aww, poor Moe. At least he is home with his loving Paw now. Purs for him are
continuing at our house.

--
Marina, Frank and Nikki