Broken meower

Old September 5th 03, 02:40 PM
bewtifulfreak

Thank you, Rona and Woof, for that fascinating info, I don't remember ever
hearing that about cats not meowing much in the wild (though I had heard
about the higher register thing, which explains why sometimes my cats meow,
and it looks like they've got laryngitis and nothing's coming out)! Really
interesting stuff, thanks again for sharing.

Ann

http://www.angelfire.com/ca/bewtifulfreak

Old September 5th 03, 05:18 PM
Linda Terrell

On Fri, 5 Sep 2003 13:40:56 UTC, "bewtifulfreak"
wrote:

Thank you, Rona and Woof, for that fascinating info, I don't remember ever
hearing that about cats not meowing much in the wild (though I had heard
about the higher register thing, which explains why sometimes my cats meow,
and it looks like they've got laryngitis and nothing's coming out)! Really
interesting stuff, thanks again for sharing.

Ann

http://www.angelfire.com/ca/bewtifulfreak

I recall reading once, maybe in here, that cats don't
"meow" normally. It is something they do only for us!
Mostly cats hiss and cough and purr, and "rrrrt"

LT

Old September 9th 03, 02:52 PM
Pete G. Wilcox

In article ,
Marek Williams wrote:

Has anyone ever run into a cat that never meows?

There is a stray I am in the process of adopting. When I started with
him he was semi-feral. He wouldn't let anyone get close enough to
touch him. If anyone was successful in touching him he hissed at them
and lashed out with claws and mouth.

After a month of playing the cat-whisperer, I have gotten him to the
point where he loves to have me pet him, rub his ears, and talk to
him. He comes running, tail in the air, as soon as he sees me coming.
He's actually starting to act just like a cat. I have a ways to go,
and there are other worries -- like when I get him to my house will he
understand about litter boxes and such. No way to tell yet.

In the meantime, I am curious because he never meows. He's been around
the neighborhood for several years, and no one has ever heard him
meow. He doesn't even try. His sole vocal ability seems to be hissing
and purring. If he lost his voice at some time, I would think he would
still make the attempt, even if nothing came out. He doesn't growl
either. I've never heard of a mute cat. Has anyone else?

--
Bogus e-mail address, but I read this newsgroup regularly, so reply here.

Our family's first cat Peanut (female) meowed rarely..aside from meowing
to let us know that it was time to eat OR if she wanted to be let
outside. Shortly after her passing we got Ted (now also gone) from the
local SPCA/animal shelter. He had a meow for everything! He reminded
me of those people that just like to hear themselves talk? LOL! Anyway
great cat..sadly missed.

PGW

Old September 22nd 03, 04:05 AM
susan chen

Yes, I had a kitty that rarely mewed--and when she did it was a
hoarse croaky sound. She was just a pound pussy, Siamese mix.
very affectionate, purred loud and long

I read once, that meowing is an attempt to "talk" to humans.. . .
That cats don't meow to one another as a form of communication.

William Hamblen wrote:
In article , Marek Williams wrote:

Has anyone ever run into a cat that never meows?

I had a cat that hardly ever mewed. He would tune up when he was in
distress, as when he was in his carrier for a trip to the vet. Then he
sounded like a case of cat abuse. Otherwise, not a peep. When he wanted
something he would sit and stare at you. Long hair breeds tend to be
quieter than short hair breeds. Some kinds of cats like the Chartreaux
cat have the reputation of not "talking."

Old September 23rd 03, 01:32 AM

William Hamblen wrote:
In article , Marek Williams wrote:

Has anyone ever run into a cat that never meows?

I had a cat that hardly ever mewed. He would tune up when he was in
distress, as when he was in his carrier for a trip to the vet. Then he
sounded like a case of cat abuse. Otherwise, not a peep. When he wanted
something he would sit and stare at you. Long hair breeds tend to be
quieter than short hair breeds. Some kinds of cats like the Chartreaux
cat have the reputation of not "talking."

Mr Spock is a frequent meower. When its time for dinner its like I
haven't fed him in weeks, maybe years, and he's got to direct me at
every step of the way. On the way to the vet its meowing time
literally all the way there, quiet as a mouse while at the vet, and
then meowing again all the way home.

Missy on the other hand is a very quiet kitty who hardly ever meowed
at all. Lately she has started to meow with a heartbreaking poor
little kitty meow, sure to get a response from me. She's doing it
more now, either because of Mr. Spock's constant conversation, or more
likely from the success of her efforts in getting attention this way.

Swyck