Sub-q fluids expiration question

Old July 28th 09, 05:33 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Jo

Default Sub-q fluids expiration question

Is it ok to use the same bag for more than 5 weeks? Or should I have
stopped using it weeks ago? Someone told me that they go bad after
10-14 days. The vet never said anything about that. I just wanted to
know in case the vet says something different when I call to ask about
it.
Old July 28th 09, 09:21 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
FirstHit

On Jul 27, 9:33*pm, Jo wrote:
Is it ok to use the same bag for more than 5 weeks? Or should I have
stopped using it weeks ago? Someone told me that they go bad after
10-14 days. The vet never said anything about that. I just wanted to
know in case the vet says something different when I call to ask about
it.

You might want to try going to the manufacturer's website and seeing
if they have anything to say about a time limit there. Drug companies
often have good info at their sites that the doctors don't mention to
you.

FirstHit
Old July 28th 09, 09:54 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Jo

On Jul 28, 8:40*am, Confused wrote:
In article
,

*FirstHit wrote:
On Jul 27, 9:33*pm, Jo wrote:
Is it ok to use the same bag for more than 5 weeks? Or should I have
stopped using it weeks ago? Someone told me that they go bad after
10-14 days. The vet never said anything about that. I just wanted to
know in case the vet says something different when I call to ask about
it.

You might want to try going to the manufacturer's website and seeing
if they have anything to say about a time limit there. *Drug companies
often have good info at their sites that the doctors don't mention to
you.

FirstHit

Usually I used up a sub-q bag within two or three weeks. *I thinK I was
doing it every day or every other day. *After too long, the bag would
look a bit yellow.

My bag looks yellow too. I'm not sure if that's from heating it in a
bowl of warm water or not. That's also why I can't tell if the fluids
look normal or if they're slightly cloudy. I was supposed to be giving
fluids twice a week but then the vet said to try once a week. That's
why I'm only about half way through the bag after about 5 weeks. I
tried calling the vet today but he was out of the office. The other
vet was there but he gave me some questionable information before so
I'm not sure if I trust him.

I looked at the manufacturer's website but I didn't see any relevant
information.