Berber carpet OK for cats?

Old September 23rd 04, 01:38 PM
Jonny R

Default Berber carpet OK for cats?

I am going to be replacing the carpet in my basement with something
tough and durable like Berber given that I have a home gym in the
basement. However I was wondering two things:

1) Whether my two cats will always be clawing the carpet and getting
their claws stuck in the Berber "loops", or whether they will leave it
alone. My cats do claw at carpet but I don't have Berber carpet
anywhere in the house, and one of my friends told me that their
previous cats hated Berber carpet and would never claw it. It would
be great if they didn't bother clawing at Berber carpet.

2) Given that the litter box is in the basement, whether they will
track kitty litter into the Berber carpet which may be difficult to
remove (i.e. anybody know if its unusually difficult to vacuum kitty
litter out of Berber carpet compared to "normal" carpet)?

Thanks.
Old September 23rd 04, 03:36 PM
Sherry

I am going to be replacing the carpet in my basement with something
tough and durable like Berber given that I have a home gym in the
basement. However I was wondering two things:

1) Whether my two cats will always be clawing the carpet and getting
their claws stuck in the Berber "loops", or whether they will leave it
alone. My cats do claw at carpet but I don't have Berber carpet
anywhere in the house, and one of my friends told me that their
previous cats hated Berber carpet and would never claw it. It would
be great if they didn't bother clawing at Berber carpet.

2) Given that the litter box is in the basement, whether they will
track kitty litter into the Berber carpet which may be difficult to
remove (i.e. anybody know if its unusually difficult to vacuum kitty
litter out of Berber carpet compared to "normal" carpet)?

Thanks.

In my experience, Berber isn't good for cats. It snagged badly, and the snag
would leave a line in the carpet. They don't really even have to claw it,
Yoda's back claws caught in it really bad and we had to be extra diligent to
clip them. Others may have had better experience; mine was not a real
high-quality grade.

Sherry

Old September 23rd 04, 05:21 PM
Mary

"Jonny R" wrote in message
om...
I am going to be replacing the carpet in my basement with something
tough and durable like Berber given that I have a home gym in the
basement. However I was wondering two things:

My cats do claw at carpet

Just a side note: if you don't have any fresh horizontal scratchpads,
check out the ones at WalMart, PetSmart and some grocery chains.
I began with the "SmartyCat Superscratcher Plus" by Worldwide.
It is just a shallow box you put catnip in, then a rough corrugated
cardboard type lid goes on. When I got it my cats went from
clawing the rugs and furniture every day to maybe once a week.
When I added an "Alpine Scratcher" by Cosmic Catnip, they
just stopped scratching rugs and furniture. The latter is the same
thing but on a slant and they just hunker down every morning and go to
town.

Old September 23rd 04, 06:14 PM
Mary

1) Whether my two cats will always be clawing the carpet and getting
their claws stuck in the Berber "loops", or whether they will leave it
alone. My cats do claw at carpet but I don't have Berber carpet
anywhere in the house, and one of my friends told me that their
previous cats hated Berber carpet and would never claw it. It would
be great if they didn't bother clawing at Berber carpet.

if they have long overgrown nails they will get stuck in the berber. Some like
to claw it and rip up the loops.

2) Given that the litter box is in the basement, whether they will
track kitty litter into the Berber carpet which may be difficult to
remove (i.e. anybody know if its unusually difficult to vacuum kitty
litter out of Berber carpet compared to "normal" carpet)?

if they miss the box for some reason berber seems to leave a bigger stain
that's almost impossible to get out. I think vacuuming is about the same, not
sure

Old September 23rd 04, 07:45 PM

"Mary" wrote:

"Jonny R" wrote in message
. com...
I am going to be replacing the carpet in my basement with something
tough and durable like Berber given that I have a home gym in the
basement. However I was wondering two things:

My cats do claw at carpet

Just a side note: if you don't have any fresh horizontal scratchpads,
check out the ones at WalMart, PetSmart and some grocery chains.
I began with the "SmartyCat Superscratcher Plus" by Worldwide.
It is just a shallow box you put catnip in, then a rough corrugated
cardboard type lid goes on. When I got it my cats went from
clawing the rugs and furniture every day to maybe once a week.
When I added an "Alpine Scratcher" by Cosmic Catnip, they
just stopped scratching rugs and furniture. The latter is the same
thing but on a slant and they just hunker down every morning and go to
town.

We also have the flat shallow box with a corrugated insert and they
love it! One of the guys always runs to it when he is having a *happy*
like when the fridge door opens at dinnertime or when we come home.

-mhd

Old September 24th 04, 12:14 AM
blkcatgal

I have berber carpet and it doesn't seem to affect my 2 cats at all. My one
cat likes to claw the carpet, but so far he hasn't snagged it at all. Once
in awhile their claws get stuck in the carpet, but then that's an indication
to me that their claws need clipping.

If I ever have to replace the carpet, I wouldn't hesitate to get berber
again.

S.
om...