Long-term Consequences of Starvation

Old July 20th 09, 09:59 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
FirstHit

Default Long-term Consequences of Starvation

There is a sweet cat I am interested in at the shelter. The cat looks
emaciated. She is sickly right now and is not very energetic, but she
is eating and I hope she will put on weight. If the cat gains weight
and starts appearing to be healthier, I wonder if she will be plagued
with health problems down the line. I have heard that fatty liver
disease can take hold in cats after just 24-48 hours of not eating,
and this cat looks like she's had a lot of time without food.

This kitty touches my heart. She is a bit shy but if you gently
approach her and speak softly to her she opens up to you right away
and shows a lot of affection.

If anyone has some wisdom with situations like this, I would
appreciate hearing what you have to say. I think she is about four
years old.

FirstHit
Old July 20th 09, 07:05 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
jweeks

On Jul 20, 4:59*am, FirstHit wrote:
There is a sweet cat I am interested in at the shelter. *The cat looks
emaciated. *She is sickly right now and is not very energetic, but she
is eating and I hope she will put on weight. *If the cat gains weight
and starts appearing to be healthier, I wonder if she will be plagued
with health problems down the line. *I have heard that fatty liver
disease can take hold in cats after just 24-48 hours of not eating,
and this cat looks like she's had a lot of time without food.

This kitty touches my heart. *She is a bit shy but if you gently
approach her and speak softly to her she opens up to you right away
and shows a lot of affection.

If anyone has some wisdom with situations like this, I would
appreciate hearing what you have to say. *I think she is about four
years old.

FirstHit

Hi, if she touches your heart, she is meant to live with you...because
you probably touch her's. As far as health concerns, my cat was fine
when I got him from the shelter...I grew up with cats and they've
always lived very long lives. One of my dogs was emaciated when I got
him from the pound...the vet didn't know if he was 9 months or 3 years
old! He was like one of those dying dogs on Animal Cops...that was 10
years ago. He's fantastic! I don't buy his kibble from the
supermarket...I always try to spend more on dog and cat food because
it saves vet bills down the road...So if you get your kitty...get her
the proper nutrition and she'll have a long healthy life with you...I
recommend EVO...GreatLife4Pets- doctor's Finest online is the VERY
best I've found......Spend at least 12.00 and up on a dry food for a 4
lb bag..it'll last almost all month. If your kitty is getting proper
nutrition, she won't always be hungry...you'll a huge difference. My
cat and 2 dogs are all seniors and you'd never know it...they all run
and play and are like kittens and puppies still. Take her home today
and be happy..My best to you! ~ Jenny ^..^ '
Old July 20th 09, 07:13 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rene

This kitty touches my heart. *She is a bit shy but if you gently
approach her and speak softly to her she opens up to you right away
and shows a lot of affection.

She is "speaking" to you. Put your concerns aside and take her home.
Many cats don't do well in a shelter environment, so she may just be
upset and not eating as much as she should. Cages are very stressful
for cats.

Many shelters offer a one-month free trial of pet insurance. Get her
in to the vet right away for bloodwork, check up, etc.

IMO I would not feed dry food, but that's another topic. . .

Old July 21st 09, 08:37 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
FirstHit

"Rene" wrote in message

This kitty touches my heart. She is a bit shy but if you gently
approach her and speak softly to her she opens up to you right away
and shows a lot of affection.

She is "speaking" to you. Put your concerns aside and take her home.

Yes.

Thanks to all for your responses. I agree that when you connect with
a potential adoptee that all concerned can really miss out on
something special if you get hung up on some issue which might not be
big at all. Still, I would like to learn what I can about her
situation.

I can't take the kitty home right now for several reasons, including
heath issues with an elderly parent. Additionally, my temporarily out-
of-town partner has to approve of the cat too, and the shelter
requires that he be there before the cat can go home with me. Bottom
line is there is a good chance I will lose her, but I also think she
may be there for a while. Most people go for the kittens there, and
there are a number of very friendly, outgoing, healthy adults there
too, so this shy and skinny kitty is not taken very seriously by the
people that I've observed there.

If she is adopted by someone else, the person will probably be the
nurturing type, so she'll *probably* have a good home. I know for
sure that if she comes home with me a while from now she will have a
loving home. I am normally home most of the time and would love to
give her lots of attention.

I was browsing the shelters mostly to get an idea of what kinds of
cats are available; I had planned on getting a cat in a month or two
down the line. I have found a few cats that I connected with in
addition to the emaciated cat. I guess it was my own nurturing nature
that got me thinking that there is a possibility that I might be able
to love and help her. For now, I will be visiting her often to check
up on her and get to know her better.

FirstHit

Old July 21st 09, 08:52 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

Well just break everybody's ****ing heart. ASSHOLE.

Old July 21st 09, 09:13 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
MaryL

wrote in message

"Rene" wrote in message

[...]

Please reconsider. Leaving her in the shelter for "someone else" to adopt
may be her death sentence. If you will adopt her, give her good care and
love, you may be surprised at how well she adapts. At the very least, have
her checked by a vet to see if you can give her the love and care she needs.
My little Duffy was in the shelter for several months. He was skinny and
looked like a little old man--think of a cat being in a cage and hearing
dogs barking and all sorts of other commotion, and it's no wonder that he
did not look well. After just a short time in his new home, he began to
perk up and he is now a *gorgeous* and *healthy* cat. But, more
importantly, he is a *happy* and *well adjusted* kitty. Please take a look
at the first picture in his album (under my sig) and compare that to how he
looks now.

MaryL

Photos of Duffy and Holly: 'o'
Duffy: http://tinyurl.com/cslwf
Holly: http://tinyurl.com/9t68o

Old July 21st 09, 09:54 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER wrote
to love and help her. For now, I will be visiting her often to check
up on her and get to know her better.

FirstHit

Please reconsider. Leaving her in the shelter for "someone else" to adopt
may be her death sentence.

Do you really think someone this coldhearted could ever provide a good home
for a cat? I sure don't. Let's just hope someone better than this asshole
finds her and adopts her.