Drop Bears - The Truth

Old December 14th 05, 09:45 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default Drop Bears - The Truth

Drop Bears - The Truth

For those of you who do not know the history of Drop Bears in
Australia, I will tell it, so much as I know, as a warning to you and
your family.

Origin

In the beginning, there were koalas. Cuddly, furry, slow-moving and
sleepy, koalas eat gum leaves for 90% of their waking lives, but prefer
to spend most of their time asleep. They live in trees, venturing down
to the ground only when it is necessary to move from tree to tree.
Koalas are no threat to humans, unless you are foolish enough to climb
up a tree and attempt to catch one, under which circumstances the koala
may give you a bit of a scratch with its ample claws.

You will be aware that Australia is home to many species that simply
don't exist anywhere else in the world. Echidnas, wombats, koalas,
kangaroos, wallabies, bandicoots and potoroos are unique to Australia,
just to name a few. Another unique animal is the Drop Bear.

Description

The Drop Bear is described as an arboreal, (tree dwelling) carnivorous
mammal of Australia, Phascolarctus Hodgsonii, growing to around 4 feet
in height. This description is not far wrong. Believed to have evolved
from a similar line to koalas, Drop Bears vary from 3 to 5 feet in
hight, but are extremely strong. They are covered in a dense fur, which
can range from almost black to the Alpine Drop Bear's snowy white coat.
They have broad shoulders and razor sharp claws on all four limbs. They
are able to walk for short distances on two legs, but are much faster
on all four, being capable of bursts of speed approaching 60 km/h at
full gallop. Their heads are similar to those of koalas, but with
enlarged canine teeth, not unlike those of bears or other carnivorous
animals. There are no reported photographs of them, and only a select
and very lucky few have laid eyes on them and lived to tell the tale.

As you can imagine, admitting their existence would cause some degree
of panic, and destroy parts of Australia's ecotourism industry
overnight. It is for this reason that all government departments will,
and have denied any knowledge of the existence of the Drop Bear, and
are likely to continue to do so in the future. Being an avid outdoor
enthusiast, and having contact with people who spend a large proportion
of their time outdoors, I have gathered together scraps of information
from sources all around the country, linking Drop Bear involvement to
such events as the disappearance of Azaria Chamberlain, the death of
Captain James Cook in Hawaii, several war-time incidents in northern
Australia, the disappearance of a group of cross-country skiers in the
Victorian Alps, and the deaths of a number of hikers, canoeists,
4WDrivers, campers, sunbathers and swimmers throughout the country.
These 'accidents' are often reported as crocodile attacks, falls from
cliffs, exposure, and in the Chamberlain case, dingoes were blamed. I
have it on good authority in all of these cases, however, that a
government cover-up was at work to dispel rumours of Drop Bear attacks
and hide the truth from the public.

Dangers associated with Drop Bears

Drop Bears are not cuddly and friendly, like their cousin the koala.
They are vicious, calculating, cold-blooded killers. Their usual method
of attack is to select animals which stray from their group, including
humans, dropping down onto them from above. They then proceed to wrap
themselves around the body of their prey, squeezing them to death,
often crushing the rib cage and breaking the neck. Occasionally when
hunting, and when threatened, the Bears will drop down in front of, and
then challenge their prey, snarling and flashing their sharp claws and
teeth, before ripping their prey to shreds with their powerful arms and
legs. Of all the ways to die in the bush, this would have to be the
most horrible. Arms and Legs are torn from the body, along with huge
slabs of flesh, which are greedily consumed while the victim still
lives. If seen, Drop Bears should NOT be approached, as they are easily
frightened and likely to attack. Vehicles are known to have been
attacked, and being in one is no defence. An adult Drop Bear is able to
easily break windows and enter vehicles to extrude would-be meals.

Sub-species

The Common Drop Bear is found in wooded areas all over the Australian
continent, including Tasmania, and is thought to in fact venture as far
north as Papua New Guinea and Indonesia. It lives in trees, dropping
down to feed on kangaroos, wombats, and anything else that walks
beneath it.

The Burrowing Drop Bear is slightly smaller in stature than the common
variety, though just as ferocious. It is known to inhabit the drier
arid regions of the country, including the deserts of central
Australia. It is also fairly common amongst wooded areas, and burrows
have been found everywhere from beaches to desert plains. The burrows
vary in size according tothe individual animal, but the entry hole may
be considerably smaller than the actual living space. Holes 30cm in
diameter have been known to house Drop Bears 5 feet tall. The animal's
extraordinary contorting ability means it is able to crawl through
extremely small spaces in search of wombats and rabbits.

The Alpine Drop Bear grows a special winter coat of almost pure white
for camouflage in snowy areas. They have been spotted at lower
elevations when the food supply is short, but unlike Common and
Burrowing varieties, are able to hibernate for sustained periods. They
live in larger burrows than Burrowing Drop Bears, being less able to
contort through small openings. During the summer months, they remain
in their mountain environment, shedding their white coats and adopting
darker furs for camouflage in the lightly treed and grassy plains of
the high country.

The Aquatic Drop Bear, as its name suggests, feeds in and around bodies
of water. Lakes, rivers, dams and the Australian coastal waters are
home to this variety of Drop Bear. With webbed feet and an
water-resistant coat similar to a seal, they are ideally suited to
marine life, though still retain the unmistakable Drop Bear physique of
four legs, broad shoulders and sharp claws and teeth. Aquatic Drop
Bears have attacked canoeists, rafters, fisherman on the bank and in
boats, sunbathers and swimmers. Cases such as these are often falsely
reported by the media as crocodile or shark attacks, in an effort to
avoid the mass hysteria which would almost definitely result from an
admission that we have a Drop Bear problem.

Conclusion

I have endeavoured to provide you, the reader, with as much information
as I can at this time. I have been hounded and ridiculed for sharing
such information as this with the public, but I am reconciled to do my
best to warn as many people as I can of this potential danger in the
Australian Bush.

You have been warned.

http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Forum/3695/db.htm
Old December 14th 05, 10:17 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"Dave Gerecke" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Thank you so much for this valuable information, Dave. I had heard of Drop
Bears before my first trip to Australia, but knew little about them other
than their habit of dropping from trees onto their prey. Now I realize that
you aren't safe even if you stay away from trees.

Joy

Old December 14th 05, 10:30 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Gee what are we smoking today Dave pass some along :-)
Dave I know what you have been reading The Last Continent by Terry
Pratchett. It is a good book strange thing tho that the continent and
animals resemble Australia and it's kind.

Somebody tried that deadpan humor when I got there I looked at the guy and
asked where is smoking sources was I wanted some :^)

I wonder how many fall for that when they go there

. com...

Old December 15th 05, 12:07 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Dave Gerecke wrote:

Drop Bears - The Truth

For those of you who do not know the history of Drop Bears in
Australia, I will tell it, so much as I know, as a warning to you and
your family.

Is the Drop Bear a cousin of Bigfoot?

Joyce
Old December 15th 05, 12:30 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

I was think the jakelope

"jmcquown" wrote in message
Dave Gerecke wrote:

Drop Bears - The Truth

For those of you who do not know the history of Drop Bears in
Australia, I will tell it, so much as I know, as a warning to you

and your family.

Is the Drop Bear a cousin of Bigfoot?

Joyce

I thought more a cousin of the Loch Ness monster?

Jill

Old December 15th 05, 01:06 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

That is a great book! I read it before my first trip to Australia, and I
reread it every time I'm making plans to go back.

--
Joy

**Don't believe everything you think**

"NMR" wrote in message
Gee what are we smoking today Dave pass some along :-)
Dave I know what you have been reading The Last Continent by Terry
Pratchett. It is a good book strange thing tho that the continent and
animals resemble Australia and it's kind.

Somebody tried that deadpan humor when I got there I looked at the guy

and
asked where is smoking sources was I wanted some :^)

I wonder how many fall for that when they go there

. com...

Old December 15th 05, 01:07 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

I suspect they're all related. ;-)

--
Joy

**Don't believe everything you think**

"NMR" wrote in message
I was think the jakelope

Old December 15th 05, 03:22 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

One heck of a family reunion.

Grace

"Yoj" wrote in message
et...
I suspect they're all related. ;-)

--
Joy

**Don't believe everything you think**

"NMR" wrote in message
I was think the jakelope

Old December 15th 05, 08:27 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

In article , Dave Gerecke
wrote:

Drop Bears - The Truth

For those of you who do not know the history of Drop Bears in
Australia, I will tell it, so much as I know, as a warning to you and
your family.

I thought you should know too.

This is a follow up from Dr. Devin Starlanyl (FMS author) whom we are
friends with.

Dave and Dot, from what I have been able to uncover, and it hasn't been
easy, it is my sad duty to inform you that a variant of species P.
Hodgsonii has indeed taken hold in the United States of America. The
general public is unaware of their existence, and I agree that such
news would cause widespread panic. This variant is smaller than your
Alpine variety., but shares the habit of the common drop bear in that
it drops down on its unsuspecting prey, or more likely lunges at it
from behind its favored habitat. They are generally found in the
employment of government offices such as Social Security Disability or
Internal Revenue Services. The cover-up is extensive, and this is
amazing, in that they are so prolific and large. I hope this reaches
you uncensored. Please feel free to share the warning. {{{}}} Devin

Don't drop the soap on here bigbadbarry Cat health & behaviour 10 April 24th 05 11:41 PM
The Truth About Holly [email protected] Cat anecdotes 51 February 22nd 05 04:20 AM
Ohio bears Mark Edwards Cat anecdotes 1 December 14th 04 12:43 AM
Just A Word Gaubster(Was the truth about Christina) Hailey Cat health & behaviour 116 March 4th 04 05:11 PM
The truth about Mia... by Mia frigamia Cat health & behaviour 4 February 24th 04 08:44 AM