What to do when you find a lost kitty?

Old February 10th 06, 05:22 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default What to do when you find a lost kitty?

I just went downstairs to bring in the laundry and I saw a lady taking
a shortcut through the complex - with a very small black shape
following behind. She was ignoring it so it obviously wasn't her kitty
and I've never seen it before in my life. I took a few steps towards
it and said 'here puss' and it came BOUNDING to meet me, meowing its
head off... then it purred like a little motorboat obviously saying
'thank God somebody is going to help me here!'

As I write this I'm in the craft room with the kitten and it's
sitting on my chest staring the computer and purring... it's the
friendliest critter I've seen in a month of sundays! I went to the
apartment manager's office and she said the kitten has just shown up
today and it's following everyone around. I couldn't leave it out
there to get run over or something, so I brought it upstairs and put
it into the carrier for a few minutes, then I let it out in the
craftroom because it was meowing so plaintively.

I've got the kitten in the craftroom with the door shut and the girls
outside... when they were in the same room Scout hissed at the kitten
and the kitten hissed back! Silver's hiding under the kitchen table in
shock at the thought of somebody else in the house, and Scouty's
roaming around What do I do now?!

--
~Karen aka Kajikit
Crafts, cats, and chocolate - the three essentials of life
Old February 10th 06, 05:38 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Make up fliers and post them around the neighborhood. Just describe it by
age and put your number on it. I personally would get a little cat box and
put up kitty in the craft room until you get a response. I'd try to cover a
three block range and put it up in any local grocery stores. Kitty can't
have come from very far away. If you don't get any responses, call around to
rescues. Since it is a kitten, probably can really get adopted. Or....you
can get Scouty and Silver used to kitten I imagine it wouldn't take long
and chasing after a baby might give them some extra fun too.

Old February 10th 06, 05:38 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Karen depending on where you are first thing is call animal control and
report your find also call the local animal shelter animals control will
tell you what one they use for your are than if you can place a poster in
the window with a sign saying Kitten found DON'T on any circumstance
describe the kitten in the poster or DON'T include a picture on it. To many
whackos out there make the person who calls you describe the kitten saves
times and emotions

Second I would take it to a vet and let them check for a microchip no vet
should charge for this. If it turns out to be a lonely god I am sure it
will adopt you as it's new slave

third if you have any other furballs I hope you realize that you need to
keep this one separate from them all until you have it vaccined and tested

Good luck

Matthew

Old February 10th 06, 06:03 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"Karen AKA Kajikit" wrote in message
she said the kitten has just shown up
today and it's following everyone around. I couldn't leave it out
there to get run over or something, so I brought it upstairs and put
it into the carrier for a few minutes, then I let it out in the
craftroom because it was meowing so plaintively.

I've got the kitten in the craftroom with the door shut and the girls
outside... when they were in the same room Scout hissed at the kitten
and the kitten hissed back! Silver's hiding under the kitchen table in
shock at the thought of somebody else in the house, and Scouty's
roaming around What do I do now?!

Accept your fate. The mothership has sent you a gift ;-)

Tweed

Old February 10th 06, 07:30 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Karen AKA Kajikit wrote:
I just went downstairs to bring in the laundry and I saw a lady taking
a shortcut through the complex - with a very small black shape
following behind. She was ignoring it so it obviously wasn't her kitty
and I've never seen it before in my life. I took a few steps towards
it and said 'here puss' and it came BOUNDING to meet me, meowing its
head off... then it purred like a little motorboat obviously saying
'thank God somebody is going to help me here!'

Call the area shelters and vets to see if anyone has reported a missing cat
fitting the description. Take the cat to the vet or a shelter to be checked
for a chip; someone else mentioned it shouldn't cost anything to do that.
Put up flyers in the area but don't describe the cat in any detail. For
example, when Persia acquired me, she had a little healed tear in her ear.
For anyone to claim her they'd have had to know that little bit of info.

You're doing a good thing here, really. Things will calm down with your
crew; just give it time.

Jill

Old February 10th 06, 08:01 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Unless of course, someone else is roaming the neighborhood in desperate
search of their little owner. Granted the kitten shouldn't have been
allowed outside, but it might have been an escape artist. Obviously,
this is a well-socialized kitten, so someone else may be really missing
him, and grieving for his fate. Someone who would be very thankful to
get him back safely. Karen, I recommend following NMR's
recommendations for advertising you found the kitten, and checking the
little one for a microchip.

IF nobody comes to claim him within a reasonable period after you take
all these steps, well, maybe the Mothership DID send you a gift. =o)

Melissa.

Old February 10th 06, 08:36 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"Shiral" wrote in message
oups.com...
Unless of course, someone else is roaming the neighborhood in desperate
search of their little owner. Granted the kitten shouldn't have been
allowed outside, but it might have been an escape artist. Obviously,
this is a well-socialized kitten, so someone else may be really missing
him, and grieving for his fate. Someone who would be very thankful to
get him back safely. Karen, I recommend following NMR's
recommendations for advertising you found the kitten, and checking the
little one for a microchip.

Wouldn't it be nice if that was so? I really hope this kitten has escaped
and his owners are desperately looking for him/her and they can be reunited
through a poster/microchip.
Don't hold your breath, though, it's surely more likely he's been dumped.

IF nobody comes to claim him within a reasonable period after you take
all these steps, well, maybe the Mothership DID send you a gift. =o)

Melissa.

I have had two gifts from the Mothership. Kitty and Boyfriend. I knew very
well where Kitty had come from but she was never claimed back. She refused
to go back anyway. Boyfie remains a mystery. Only he knows where he came
from and he doesn't want to say/

Tweed

Old February 10th 06, 08:41 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Karen everyone is right it sounds like this kitten is a dumped kitten. I
hope everything works out. If you don't find the owner please get all
your furballs microchipped to prevent further loss.

Old February 10th 06, 10:25 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Christina Websell wrote:
"Shiral" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Cats can get out of anywhere, 30 years ago my great aunt's cat escaped from
the vets, she searched for her for hours before she went home. Later that
day I went back wih her to look, I found Samantha, her cat, about half an
hour later in a woods across the road from the vets. I put her in my coat
and took her and my great aunt home, Sammy purred all the way.
--
Adrian (Owned by Snoopy and Bagheera)
A House is not a home, without a cat.

Old February 10th 06, 11:23 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

I got a 'gift from the Mothership' all right, inside Francesca. A
smaller "mothership" if you will. =o)

Alas I fear the little guy may have been dumped, I just didn't want to
assume the worst of his hoomin. After all, he's a lovely little guy,
and if he were mine I'D sure want to find him, again!

Melissa