Burel kitties; it's always something or another (long)

Old October 23rd 03, 12:50 AM
Christine Burel

Default Burel kitties; it's always something or another (long)

Hi all,

Life has been even more hectic here than is even usual so sadly I've not
been able to read or post much lately. Oh well, hope it changes soon...

However, we're still in a one-step forward; two-steps back program with his
Tuckerness--over the weekend he got into a fight with Midnight and Middie
got bit and since I know firsthand (more than I'd like) about puncture
wounds from Mr. T, I took Middie to the vet where she got treated with
antibiotics, painkillers, and I'm happy to say she's doing super as far as
her wounds go. Also good, she doesn't seem to be holding any longterm
grudges vs. Tucker but I have gone back to limiting Tucker's time out and am
hovering over all the kitty interactions closely.

Midnight does have peeing issues though and has had for about 4 weeks now
and I've checked her with a urinalysis twice in that time and all looks good
so we're guessing it's behavioral (surprise!). My vet wants to check her
out more to make sure there aren't any bladder stones (can we say xray and
ultrasound?) but that's not happening immediately because....

Remember Pirate? The gorgeous silver-gray old long-hair guy I've been
feeding since spring when this all started with the stray kitty parade in my
backyard, Robin, Tucker, Sunny, etc.? Well, I've been trying to get myself
ready to figure out what to do with Pirate; he needs neutering and checking
out...well, this morning I see he's been in a cat fight and has a nasty
wound on his ear (explains why I didn't see him for a day or so earlier) so
this just sort of precipitated everything and so after talking to my vet I
put on my handy welding gloves, took out the cat carrier and a can of wet
food and amazingly was able to pick Pirate up and put him in the carrier
without the fight I anticipated.

I also called my feral cat contact, Donnie, to ask if there's some chance
she could help me place him once he's well and neutered. They're also
testing him again tomorrow to see if he's FIV or Feleuk +; they did a test
today but for some reason didn't have the best amount of blood to work with
and Dr. Russman wants to do another form of test tomorrow. Preliminarily,
it looks like Pirate has FIV; if so, please have your fur folk purr that
we'll be able to find him a home through Donnie as I can't take him in. It
turns out the poor kitty has all 4 of his canines broken--Megan's also been
helping advise me and she said worse case I could probably bring him home
and let him stay as an outside boy because he's unlikely to spread FIV with
almost no teeth to bite with...I just wish a good solution for him.
Meanwhile, I'm boarding him at the vet's till he's able to be neutered
(probably next week) -- guess I'll be visiting the kennels again...

Thanks for reading this long tale!

P.S. If you don't remember Pirate here's a link to his photo:
http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/cfbureltoo (picture 38 of 39)

regards,
Christine

Old October 23rd 03, 01:05 AM
Brenda

"Christine Burel" wrote in message
[...]

lots of purrs,
Brenda

Old October 23rd 03, 02:36 AM
Karen

in article , Christine Burel at
wrote on 10/22/03 6:50 PM:

[...]

Poor Pirate. He's such a good looking kitty too. I sure hope you can find
him a place. Purrs to Midnight too to get over bites and behaviour.

Karen

Old October 23rd 03, 03:57 AM
Victor Martinez

Purrs for everybody.

--
Victor Martinez
Send your spam he

Old October 23rd 03, 05:21 AM
Marina

"Christine Burel" wrote

Life has been even more hectic here than is even usual so sadly I've not
been able to read or post much lately. Oh well, hope it changes soon...

snip

Christine, I don't know how you do it. Kudos for all the work you are doing
with the kitties, purrs to Midnight for the bite to heal and her to get over
her peeing problem, and for Tucker to simmer down, and for Pirate to find a
good home. And a few extra purrs for your purse - all thos evet visits must
be cositng you a fortune.

--
Marina, Frank and Nikki

Old October 23rd 03, 05:59 AM
Jean H

Lots and lots of Purrs for all the furkids especially Middie and Pirate
I do hope you find a home for him I feel so heartbroken for these
poor babies without homes. Jean P

Old October 23rd 03, 10:24 AM
polonca12000

Lots of gentle hugs and thank-you's for taking such good care of your
kitties, Christine, and lots of purrs and best wishes for all your kitties,
--
Polonca & Soncek

Old October 23rd 03, 06:04 PM
SUQKRT

In article ,
"Brenda" wrote:

[...]

Purrs for Pirate that he heals and finds a forever home.
Suz
Iron Chef Macmoosette
Thank Heavens There's Only One

Chocolate heals all wounds.
Old October 23rd 03, 06:08 PM
Steve Touchstone

On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 17:50:52 -0600, "Christine Burel"
wrote:

Hi all,

Life has been even more hectic here than is even usual so sadly I've not
been able to read or post much lately. Oh well, hope it changes soon...

snip

Sorry to hear that Tucker's progress is a little slow, but it DOES
sound like progress. I have to keep reminding myself that the reason
I've been able to make swifter progress with Rocky is that he was well
established here before I adopted him. I know that if I were trying to
keep him inside I'd be having more of the problems you're having.

Sorry to hear that Pirate has problems. Missing those teeth must
really be a handicap in life as a feral. I remember talking to an
acquaintance who works for the city shelter who was of the opinion
that it was rare for ferals to live past 6 years old. Hopefully
you'll be able to find him a good home. Now that I've seen how Rocky
has reacted I know that feral kitties can make great pets if you have
the time and patience.

I'll remind the gang here to renew their purrs for Tucker to realize
how much better his life is now. We'll send along some purrs for
Midnight not to develope an infection, and harbor no hard feelings for
the enterloper in her house, and that Tucker will intergrate into the
Burel pride.
Old October 24th 03, 02:51 AM
Takayuki

"Christine Burel" wrote:
Life has been even more hectic here than is even usual so sadly I've not
been able to read or post much lately. Oh well, hope it changes soon...

I hope it changes soon also! It sounds like a lot of work, with so
many needy kitties to take care of. I hope you'll make progress with
Tucker and Pirate, and that Midnight goes back to being her usual well
behaved queen bee self.

Psycatic! (Very long!) Renee Darvin Cat anecdotes 5 October 8th 03 07:13 PM
Barn kitties Karen Cat anecdotes 5 September 29th 03 07:42 PM
Happier news - Rocky update (long) Lois Reay Cat anecdotes 7 September 28th 03 01:25 AM
The Neighborhood Battle (LONG) Ginger-lyn Summer Cat anecdotes 13 September 19th 03 03:42 AM
Gem the Gray Kitten (long) Annie Benson-Lennaman Cat anecdotes 21 August 25th 03 01:02 AM