Feral kittens not really scared but..

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old October 9th 03, 12:34 AM
Rooster

Default Feral kittens not really scared but..

Hi, I found feral 3 kittens behind my shed one hissed and spit at me when I
first caught him(not now though) ,the other two look concerned but were
non-violent and I put them all in a sac and brought them inside.
(Im guessing there are 5-7 weeks old , Im no expert. ,but I suspect the
mother(which is stand-offish when I bring food out for other cats)brought
them Near where I place the feeding dish after they were weaned)
I was worried I was taking them in too young , But I've read that Feral
kittens , the younger the better.

I made a makeshift nursery out of a closet , cardbox box(for their
sanctuary) , litterbox, and box fan.
The First time I feed them a few sardines and they gobbled them up, So I
guess they are weaned off mother's milk, I've been feeding them moistened
Kitten Chow and of course water ,
They all knew what the litter box was for
I use the Boxfan wedged between the door and the sill , as a window for
them, They look through the grate but cannot get out ,it also gives them a
little more play space when door is not fully closed.

I had them for 3 days now,Im sitting right on the other side of the box fan
they come by the box fan and cry and try to climb out, go under the door,
and jump to get out and cry some more.It looks real pitiful and sad. I pet
them on the ground , and sometimes put them in the lap of my arms , pet them
, give cheek rubs, etc.
none of them hiss, but they are intent on crawling away from me to escape,
..I put them back behind the box fan and they start to cry and escape again.
I thought they would be inside the cardboard box afraid for the first few
days
but they dont seem to view me as a major threat otherwise they would hide in
the box and not put their paws on the grate and cry.
Im guessing they miss what they knew for the first 5 weeks of their life.
and want to get back to familiar surroundings.
I cant let them out , in the room because they will beeline to underneath
the bed and It will be a pain to get them.
I intend to let them out of the closet once I see they they arent interested
in escaping anymore.
I want to tame them, so we Can have to cats we can actually pet when they
get older.(then maybe the other ferals will see this and let me pet them?)
I play with them , With feathers on a string , not too interested , like I
said more interested in getting out of the closet
They just sleep , eat , or cry/escape

Is this normal for kittens to cry and escape?
Will they eventually stop crying/trying to escape and start playing with
eachother more in the closet ?
Suggestions?

Thanks,