faint shriek, faint Enid's vet bill.

Old April 15th 06, 06:56 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default faint shriek, faint Enid's vet bill.

newsWU_f.6942$EA3.6909@dukeread10...

"Christina Websell" wrote in message
You will not believe Enid's vet bill that came today.

The vet did warn me that the bill would escalate to 200 pounds if I went
for the endoscopy so I said to hold off for a couple of days to see how
the antibiotics worked and if they didn't I'd think again.

The invoice is for 233 pounds 30 pence and Enid never got the endoscopy,
as she died before it came about. Everything is itemised, but for g sake
who in their right mind would spend all this money on a goose when you
can buy another for less than 20 quid, a bit more sometimes.

I am not best pleased. I would like to have saved Enid for Shylock's
sake but really.. a goose is a goose, he would have got fond of another
in couple of weeks.
Waiting for the necropsy results.

Tweed
stunned

It that is what the vet said, then I would question the bill. Call the
vet directly and don't rely on staff.

MaryL

The bill seems to be computer generated and everything is itemised so I
don't think it's open to me saying I don't agree with it. I guess what they
did is what they did and that's what it cost sigh

I was fond of Enid, she was sweet, but having poultry living down in the
garden is not the same as having cats and dogs living with you, which you
get to love. I would spend my last penny on them.

I wanted to do the best for her, but at the same time I am surprised that
the vet allowed the bill to get this much out of control and still have a
dead goose to show for it. It's ridiculous.

I was speaking to my friend tonight. She took her dog to the same surgery
last week after a fight (after normal hours) as her mouth would not stop
bleeding, she had to have a dental operation as her gum was split very
badly. She was kept in overnight, operated on, all necessary dental work
done, including cleaning and extractions, repair of the palate which had
been punctured, by taking a flap from somewhere else (forget where, she did
tell me..) and all for £30 more than Enid's bill.

Are they taking the p?

Tweed

Old April 17th 06, 06:17 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On 2006-04-15, Christina Websell penned:

I was speaking to my friend tonight. She took her dog to the same
surgery last week after a fight (after normal hours) as her mouth
would not stop bleeding, she had to have a dental operation as her
gum was split very badly. She was kept in overnight, operated on,
all necessary dental work done, including cleaning and extractions,
repair of the palate which had been punctured, by taking a flap from
somewhere else (forget where, she did tell me..) and all for £30
more than Enid's bill.

Are they taking the p?

I'm not sure what that means, but perhaps birds are considered a
specialty and therefore procedures are more expensive?

I'm so sorry that all this happened to you. I know more bills are the
last thing you need right now.

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully

Old April 20th 06, 08:52 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

I sympathise almightily. When Brandy had her tooth trouble last year we not only
got socked with a bill that was more than our car payment, Yours Jackass Truly
wrote the check from the wrong account, causing an insifficiant funds situation
that took a month to correct. God bless the vet; they decided to take the check
anyway.

This is nothing to what you went through though. I'm so sorry about poor Enid.
Who in their right minds would spend such cash on a goose? Someone who loves her
animals dearly. My Brandy bill was an inconvenience for a short time, but I'd do
it again in half a heartbeat for the love I have for my Bit, or any of my other
little ones. Don't question your sanity. The love and care you have for your
creatures always comes with a heart in the right place.

Ble3ssed be,
Baha

Old April 20th 06, 11:55 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"Singh" wrote in message
[...]

Thank you, Baha. It won't make my bank manager happy but I can rest easy
knowing I did everything possible.
My aunt (otherwise lovely) can't understand why I spend so much money on
vet's bills. She says if she had an animal that cost so much she'd have it
put down and get another. We've disagreed on this topic before and no doubt
we will again..
She cannot understand why anyone would spend a lot of money on vets bills on
an animal that is probably going to die shortly so why not cut your losses
and get another healthy one?

Logically, it seems sensible. But she's completely forgotten how much we
love our animals and what we are prepared to do to keep them alive. I feel
an aunt lecture coming on. Okay she's 80 but she can definitely take it,
she is like 60. We will have words about this soon. She is very computer
literate, thank goodness she doesn't read rpca.

Tweed

Old April 21st 06, 05:55 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"Singh" wrote in message
My father-in-law seems to be cut from the same cloth. Back home on the
farm in
the Punjab, animals were service creatures: the horses plowed, the cows
gave
their milk, the dogs herded and guarded and the cats kept vermin out of
the
grain. They aren't animal haters, but he explained that when he was a boy
only
the very rich kept animals as companions to love and spoil. After so long
in the
US he still didn't quite get why I was so devastated when we put our
Fritzie to
sleep, and why we have four cats now and spoil the hell out of them. He
shut up
when he learned I can't have kids.

Blessed be,
Baha

Friends of ours who are originally from Punjab have the most lovely white
Persian cat. Even Grandma and Grandpa spoil her rotten. It was the kids
idea, but now I think the adults consider her a badge of how well they have
assimilated.

I do remember very well when we adopted our daughter from Korea. She was
two and a half. When we got to the house and came inside and she saw the
(tiny) dog and the cat she looked horrified.

She still isn't quite the animal lover her sister is, but that's mostly
because of allergies.

Jo