Declawing

Old July 25th 10, 02:19 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes,rec.pets.cats.health+behav,free.usenet
Joani H

Default Declawing

On Jul 24, 8:43*pm, John Doe wrote:
"EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)" evgmsop earthlink.net wrote:
John Doe wrote:
"EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)" evgmsop earthlink.net wrote:
John Doe wrote:
Cats use their claws for practically everything they do, not
just for self-defense. Cats use their claws for hunting,
playing, exercise, soft defense, and for getting from here to
there.
She still has TOES, after all -

The idea that a cat's toes are comparable to a cat's claws is
just silly.
they only amputate the first joint in the declawing process.
People might not be very happy to lose the first joints of
their fingers, either, but as amputees, they'd adjust - their
hands and the remains of the fingers (including the opposable
thumb) would still be there. *

There is no comparison between a cat's claw and an individual
joint of a human finger.

Why not? *

Cats do not use their joints to hang on to anything, they use
their claws. Cats use their claws unlike anything we use our
individual joints for. Removing a cat's claw is is not at all like
removing just the first joint of a human finger, it is like
removing the entire finger. A gymnast cannot grab onto a crossbar
with the first joint of his finger, he has to use the whole
finger. A cat cannot grab onto a tree (or an enemy, or prey, or a
ball, or a climbing post) without claws.

Declawing a cat involves just that amputation?

Yes, Moron, but I am talking about the effect.

I don't believe in docking dogs' tails, either, but even
tail-less they manage to "wag".

And what the **** does a dog's tail have to do with a cat's
claws?

It's an integral part of the dog's anatomy, and equally
necessary to it's total well-being. *(Idiot!)

Says a Moron who does not know the difference in function and
importance between a cat's claws and a dog's tail.

Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2010 15:42:12 -0700
From: "EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)" evgmsop earthlink.net
Newsgroups: rec.pets.cats.anecdotes,rec.pets.cats.health+behav ,free.usenet
Subject: Declawing

My personal opinion, as if anyone cared, is that if someone finds the
claws on a cat inconvenient for any reason, should not own a cat. As
for dogs tails - there are dogs, I own one, who are born with docked
tails. They were bred that way for a specific purpose, particularly
in the working dog. I adopted my dog from a shelter not caring what
breed she was. Again, my personal opinion, docking a dog's tail
simply for esthetics is cruel. Equally so for those who doc ears and
tails to make a dog better in the fight ring - cruel and disgusting.

Joani
Old July 25th 10, 02:35 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
John Doe

Joani H wrote:

My personal opinion, as if anyone cared,

We care.

is that if someone finds the claws on a cat inconvenient for any
reason, should not own a cat. As for dogs tails - there are
dogs, I own one, who are born with docked tails. They were bred
that way for a specific purpose, particularly in the working
dog. I adopted my dog from a shelter not caring what breed she
was. Again, my personal opinion, docking a dog's tail simply
for esthetics is cruel. Equally so for those who doc ears and
tails to make a dog better in the fight ring - cruel and
disgusting.

I would agree that removing a dog's tale is not a good thing, but
the idea that a dog's tail has as much value to a dog as a cat's
claws has to a cat, that is simply ridiculous.

If changing the minds of morons were possible... I would explain
that a cat's claws are extremely more valuable than the end joint
of a human finger. I find really strange that anyone (who claims
to know anything about cats) would not understand the difference.
A cat's claws are about as useful as a person's fingers, the whole
fingers. Claws are what cats use to grip things.

Claws are the essence of a cat. That is why the two terms "claw"
and "cat" are synonymous.
Old July 25th 10, 02:15 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cshenk

"John Doe" wrote
"cshenk" wrote:

Hard to tell.

Technically speaking... Trying to tell whether anyone is a spammer
is impossible unless you are their ISP. You cannot tell by a
particular identification, you know, people can use multiple IDs.

People who automatically include other groups often look like 'spammers'
though I grant the one you added is at least related to the thread.

But why on earth (really comical to me) would you think that I am
a spammer? Talk about lamebrain observations...

Calling other people names is a fairly classic signal.

And what the **** does a dog's tail have to do with a cat's
claws?

Nice words Joe :/

He's not relating a potential medical need with a 'gee it would
be nice it they cant scratch the couch'.

I guess my meaning is not obvious, but it really should be IMO.

A cat uses its claws for practically everything. A dog uses its
tail for wagging. So what the **** does clipping a dog's tail have
to do with removing a cat's claws?

That neirher should be done unless it is a medical issue.

Old July 26th 10, 12:26 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes,rec.pets.cats.health+behav,free.usenet

John Doe wrote:

[...]

An effect with which you admit you have no real first-hand knowledge!
You firmly stated that you have never actually OBSERVED a declawed cat
in action. (Who's the moron, in this case - shall we take a vote?)
Old July 26th 10, 12:37 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes,rec.pets.cats.health+behav,free.usenet

Joani H wrote:

My personal opinion, as if anyone cared, is that if someone finds the
claws on a cat inconvenient for any reason, should not own a cat.

Mine, too - however I didn't find that any reason NOT to adopt a cat
whose claws had been removed by a previous owner! (She has proved a
joyful and affectionate companion, and she and my other - fully clawed -
cat are closely bonded friends.)

As
for dogs tails - there are dogs, I own one, who are born with docked
tails.

Excuse me? I am no authority on dog breeds, so there may well be some
who are genetically tailless, just as there are cats (like the Manx and
the Japanese bob-tail) born without tails. However, the word "docking"
implies surgical removal, not an inborn trait of the breed.
Old July 26th 10, 03:16 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes,rec.pets.cats.health+behav,free.usenet
Mishi[_2_]

On 7/25/2010 7:37 PM, EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque) wrote:

Joani H wrote:

My personal opinion, as if anyone cared, is that if someone finds the
claws on a cat inconvenient for any reason, should not own a cat.

Mine, too - however I didn't find that any reason NOT to adopt a cat
whose claws had been removed by a previous owner! (She has proved a
joyful and affectionate companion, and she and my other - fully clawed -
cat are closely bonded friends.)

As
for dogs tails - there are dogs, I own one, who are born with docked
tails.

Excuse me? I am no authority on dog breeds, so there may well be some
who are genetically tailless, just as there are cats (like the Manx and
the Japanese bob-tail) born without tails. However, the word "docking"
implies surgical removal, not an inborn trait of the breed.

Boston Terriers are normally born with a nubby tail. G
Old July 26th 10, 04:08 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes,rec.pets.cats.health+behav,free.usenet
Joani H

Joani H wrote:

My personal opinion, as if anyone cared, is that if someone finds the
claws on a cat inconvenient for any reason, should not own a cat.

Mine, too - however I didn't find that any reason NOT to adopt a cat
whose claws had been removed by a previous owner! (She has proved a
joyful and affectionate companion, and she and my other - fully clawed -
cat are closely bonded friends.)

As
for dogs tails - there are dogs, I own one, who are born with docked
tails.

Excuse me? I am no authority on dog breeds, so there may well be some
who are genetically tailless, just as there are cats (like the Manx and
the Japanese bob-tail) born without tails. However, the word "docking"
implies surgical removal, not an inborn trait of the breed.

Boston Terriers are normally born with a nubby tail. G- Hide quoted text -

Those nubs are too cute - especially when they get to waggin'
fursiously!

Joani
Old July 26th 10, 06:12 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes,rec.pets.cats.health+behav,free.usenet
John Doe

John Doe wrote:

[...]

Have you ever observed a man with no dick trying to ****?

Taking care of a declawed cat is honorable IMO, you just
understate the damage the perpetrator did.

Old July 26th 10, 06:32 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
John Doe

Joani H wrote:

My personal opinion, as if anyone cared, is that if someone
finds the claws on a cat inconvenient for any reason, should
not own a cat.

Mine, too - however I didn't find that any reason NOT to adopt a
cat whose claws had been removed by a previous owner

I would enjoy rescuing a declawed cat. But that would mean some of
their exercise equipment would have to be remade.

I have one that is probably more of a challenge, a feral female
taken in from the neighborhood that suffers from chronic fear of
human beings. If she is looking out of the window from the second
floor when someone is down in the yard about 30 feet away, if that
person simply turns and looks up at the window, the cat will run
away from the window. She is that fearful of people. I did not
realize the horror until one day when I noticed her respiration was
extremely fast. After that, I totally backed off and more or less
avoided being in the same area. Sometimes I gently say "I like
Kiki..." and she replies "Then why are you here?"

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27532210@N04/3190773594/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/27532210 N04/3190773594/

The one that is paying attention. Her progress is in tiny little
increments, each noticeable improvement in her ability to cope is
months apart. If nothing else, it is an interesting study of
paranoia.

Good luck and have fun.
Old July 26th 10, 08:58 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes,rec.pets.cats.health+behav,free.usenet

John Doe wrote:

Have you ever observed a man with no dick trying to ****?

No. (But then, I don't consider sex a spectator sport.)

Taking care of a declawed cat is honorable IMO, you just
understate the damage the perpetrator did.

And you overstate it, through ignorance and lack of experience! (I've
known of declawed cats who even managed to climb trees, when they had
owners clueless enough to allow them outdoors.)

Declawing John Doe Cat anecdotes 69 July 27th 10 02:42 AM
Declawing is better for some cats. Houston Humane Society is advertising front paw declawing!! William Graham Cat health & behaviour 39 March 15th 07 11:57 PM
Declawing JR Cat health & behaviour 6 June 14th 06 09:26 PM
Declawing A Cat Cat Protector Cat health & behaviour 24 November 27th 05 05:13 AM
declawing Joe Cats - misc 342 August 22nd 03 02:23 PM