diabetic supplies?

Old January 13th 04, 12:53 AM
Arnie Macy

"jamie" wrote in part ...

So I'm looking for recommendations for types of test strips, lancets,
syringes, and where to buy supplies least expensively, either online or at
local major pharmacy chains such as Walgreens or WalMart. Several of the
online diabetic supply houses I looked at don't list prices, and seem to
cater only to people covered by insurance.

I use the One touch UltraSmart -- it is not even close to being the cheapest
one out there, but it does satisfy your requirements for small sample and
"sucking" type strips. You may want to try Hocks.com on the net. They have
the best prices on strips that I have found.

Arnie -

Old January 13th 04, 01:44 AM
Larry Silkaitis

I love the One Touch Ultra, I have two of them.. One each of my two diabetic
cats. I have two because I download the reading to my computer. I get my
strips from Hock's. They usually have "mail order only" strips for the OTU
for about $30 per 50 strips. You can get them a little cheaper from EBay if
you want to mess with that.

--
Larry (Owned by seven cats: two grey, one black, white, black and white, and
grey and white)

Old January 13th 04, 03:01 AM
Rona Yuthasastrakosol

posted and e-mailed
"jamie" wrote in message
snip
A lot of people recommended the Glucometer Elite or the One Touch Ultra,
and one site suggested that the inexpensive WalMart Relion might be
suitable. It looks like the strips are a lot cheaper, but I haven't
seen any messages from people using one.

One thing you might be able to do is try different testing units on
yourself. You might find one easier to use than another, or one that
requires less of a blood sample than another. Many companies allow for
trade-ins so you can try one out, then if you find it doesn't meet your
needs, trade it in for different one. You can usually get a small sample of
testing strips along with a new meter so you won't have to buy a whole box
of strips just for a few test pokes.

So I'm looking for recommendations for types of test strips, lancets,
syringes, and where to buy supplies least expensively, either online or
at local major pharmacy chains such as Walgreens or WalMart. Several of
the online diabetic supply houses I looked at don't list prices, and
seem to cater only to people covered by insurance.

I will certainly look in the newsgroups for responses, but would be
especially grateful to anyone who cares to email reply.

I like One Touch Ultra. I got the starter kit for free from the company
(plus a gift of Neutrogena products!) which included 10 (?) test strips, the
monitor, and some lancets. The strips aren't cheap but I like that they
require less blood than many other testing kits. (Note: I use it for
myself, not for my cat.)

http://www.canadadrugs.com/otc/listing.php?category=94 is the cheapest I've
seen online. If you use One Touch Ultra, for example, 100 strips is only
$63.59. Only problem is that it is a Canadian company. I don't know what
the regulations are right now about ordering pharmaceutical supplies from
Canada--afaik it's still OK for Americans to do so. Also, I couldn't find
any information about shipping costs.

rona (who has no affiliation with the company I posted the link to, except
maybe that I'm Canadian)

Old January 13th 04, 07:50 AM
Mack

On 12 Jan 2004 20:28:08 GMT, (jamie)
wrote:

(crossposted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav, alt.support.diabetes,
misc.health.diabetes. Follow-ups directed to rec.pets.cats.health+behav)

My 12-year-old cat was just diagnosed as diabetic.
He was admitted this morning for stabilization, and determining
his dosage and whatnot.

I've been reading up on a number of sites about feline diabetes, but
none of them seems to list suggestions about shopping for supplies.

Apparently I will need a meter that uses a small volume of blood,
and "sipping" type strips. I've read that often there are offers
of a free meter when you buy strips, and the price of replacement
strips is the major consideration.

A lot of people recommended the Glucometer Elite or the One Touch Ultra,
and one site suggested that the inexpensive WalMart Relion might be
suitable. It looks like the strips are a lot cheaper, but I haven't
seen any messages from people using one.

So I'm looking for recommendations for types of test strips, lancets,
syringes, and where to buy supplies least expensively, either online or
at local major pharmacy chains such as Walgreens or WalMart. Several of
the online diabetic supply houses I looked at don't list prices, and
seem to cater only to people covered by insurance.

I will certainly look in the newsgroups for responses, but would be
especially grateful to anyone who cares to email reply.

I know that the Walmart relion brand meters and strips are the
cheapest on the market in Virginia. The only one I know that sipping
type test strips is the comfort curve by accuchek. These are not
cheap. Some human diabetics have found that using more than one meter
brand allows them to use any test strips they find on sale at the time
at local pharmacies, and online on ebay and hocks.com both of which
often beat the prices of local pharmacies. You can use any lancing
device regardless of the meter you are using and lancets are the
cheapest thing diabetics use. Human diabetics will often reuse
lancets but this is not a good idea since cats use their paws in the
litter box and you really want to keep anything breaking the skin as
clean as possible.

Have you done a web search for diabetic cats and diabetic pets? their
are dozens of good web sites out their.

Mack
Type 1 since 1975
http://www.alt-support-diabetes.org
http://www.insulin-pumpers.org

In tribute to the United States of America and the State
of Israel, two bastions of strength in a world filled with strife and
terrorism.

Old January 13th 04, 12:37 PM
Annette

"jamie" wrote in message
[...]

"There's a seeker born every minute."

I know that there have been a number of posters here who have had
diabetic pets. Perhaps one of them may be able to help you. I
would have expected the vet to give you some ideas on where to
obtain supplies. Surely some vets stock them?

BTW, as a fellow cat lover, I have wondered how you knew or found
out that your cat was diabetic? What are the symptoms?

Annette

---

Old January 13th 04, 02:38 PM

As a matter of interest, what is the