diabetic supplies?

Old January 13th 04, 02:38 PM

As a matter of interest, what is the
"normal" blood sugar level for a cat?

70-120 mg/dL

Megan

nothing."

-Edmund Burke

Learn The TRUTH About Declawing
http://www.stopdeclaw.com

Zuzu's Cats Photo Album:
http://www.PictureTrail.com/zuzu22

way."

- W.H. Murray

Old January 13th 04, 05:49 PM
*~*WiseWords - WiseWords4Diabetics

(jamie) wrote in message ...
(crossposted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav, alt.support.diabetes,
misc.health.diabetes. Follow-ups directed to rec.pets.cats.health+behav)

My 12-year-old cat was just diagnosed as diabetic.

You do realize that this is a 12 year old cat?
I can certainly understand the feelings for a cherished pet,
and even though I have diabetes, I am not at all sure that
I would want to undertake the expense of keeping a diabetic
cat alive. This is NOT going to be only a few dollars extra.
If you are in the money's-no-object class, then by all means
go for it. But if you are on a tight budget, you may have to
face the reality of having your cat put to sleep.

At the age of 12, for a diabetic cat, you may only be looking
at another 2 or 3 years of life, not the greatest for the cat,
and expensive for you.
Sorry to be so blunt, but you have to face the reality of the
situation.

Having said that, here is what I know about cats & dogs with diabetes.
The Human type insulins are great for humans, but not the best for
cats.
Many people on the various diabetic-cat websites claim that they have
had much better success with beef insulin. This used to be used for
humans,
along with pork insulin, before the improved human varieties.
But, a cat is not human.
The government does allow for compounding pharmacies to make
beef insulin for cats. In fact, I am surprised that the
pro-beef-fanatics aren't using this beef insulin !
It may not always be up to the same standards as insulin for humans,
and apparently, it does vary in quality among the few places that
make it, but for cats it seems to be good.
It is also good and expensive.
You may be aware of the places that make it, but I will provide
the links at the bottom of this post.

If you decide to go for keeping the cat alive,
before you spend the very high prices for compounded beef insulin,
do what everyone else does, and try the human type insulin.
Some cats adapt to it very well.
The ONLY kind to buy is the Reli On brand, sold only at Walmart.
This is actually the same as the Novolin brand, but sells for less.
I use it myself. If you buy it online, you must buy three vials
at one time at a cost of $16.29 per vial. If you go to a Walmart
store, you can purchase one vial for $17.86 . You do not need a
prescription for the Novolin R, or the Novolin N, but you must
ask for the Novolin N by Reli On to get the $17.86 price .
The one by Novolin without the Reli On name is about $27-$29 at
Walmart. Your cat will probably need the N, or NPH type, which is
longer-acting than the Regular.This is most commonly used for cats.
Some cats will tolerate this insulin without any problems.
Here is a link for a picture of it:
---
http://i.walmart.com/i/p/00/08/13/06...11_500X500.jpg

Test Strips and Meters - Save your money and stay away from the
One Touch UltraSmart, One Touch Ultra, or Accu Check Advantage.
These are the most expensive meters on the market, and they use
the most expensive test strips; average cost 80-86 cents each !
They may be good for humans, but you've got a cat !
Tight control is not the issue. Truth is, it is not possible,
because your cat cannot talk to you. Tight control would cause
convulsions from low blood sugars. Cats & dogs are kept alive
in much the same manner that many diabetics were years ago,
with slightly high blood sugars. That IS the best you can do.
Therefore, the cheapest meter & test strips on the market will
give you results that are reliable for your cat's purposes,
without sending you to the poorhouse. Also, bear in mind, that
even these less expensive meters and test strips are, in fact,
made for human use. They WILL work for your cat.

There is a newer one out by Home Diagnostics which is made
to compete with the One Touch UltraSmart. It uses a test strip
of similar design , which hangs out past the edge of the meter,
and only requires the smallest size drop of blood.
It is called the True Track.
The test strips, on sale, are $39.99 for 100.
The specials being offered, make the meter available for
$16.00 with the purchase of 100 test strips.
I haven't tried this meter yet, because I am waiting until
they offer it free with the test strips, which they will
after it has been out for a while.
If you need it right away, you will have to pay for it, but
I would still wait for a sale, which they do not have this week.

This is the one I would use for a cat because the strips
are very low priced and the blood sample needed is the
smallest size that is currently used.
It also claims good results for people from the arm,
like the One Touch Ultra & Ultra Smart. This is ideal
for a cat, because although you can use the paws
for the blood sample, I think they recommend taking it from the ears.

The Reli On meter is also low cost, but will cause
more headaches with the blood sample size, with a cat.
Stay away from it. It is not great for a cat.

Check Walgreens or CVS for this meter, and the Sunday
ad-circulars in the newspaper or online. As it is not
on sale this week, they will probably have it next week.
The meter is sold under each store's own name,
but it is called the True Track Blood Glucose System
from Home Diagnostics.

Link from the manufacturer for the True Track meter:
--- http://www.prestigesmartsystem.com/products-5.asp

For syringes, I recommend the Monoject 1cc syringe with
a 29 Gage needle. They do make 30 & 31 gage, which may
also be possible to use. The larger number is for a thinner needle.
I am not sure if the 30 or 31 gage is too thin for a cat,
but your vet would know. The 1 cc size refers to the number
of units of insulin that the syringe holds, and subsequently,
the length of the syringe. 1cc, which holds 100 units is
much easier to hold in your hand than the shorter
1/2cc or 1/3cc sizes. The price is the same for all sizes.
The Monoject brand is far superior to the over-hyped
BD brand. Stick with Monoject. There are some generic brands,
such as Terumo or Precision, but their units go by two's
instead of one's. For a cat, small dosage measurements will be
important. Cost for a box of 100 syringes is $12-$16 .

I hope you realize that this is a big thing you will
be getting into. I am not sure that I would recommend it.

It is also curious that I have never heard of talk about
Type 2 diabetic cats or dogs. They all seem to be on insulin.

Here are some good links for the cat sites:

1. http://www.felinediabetes.com/
2. Blood testing--- http://www.felinediabetes.com/bg-test.htm#ear
3. Feline Diabetes Message Board---
http://www.felinediabetes.com/terms.htm
4. Beef insulin source-list with links---
http://www.felinediabetes.com/pzi-sources.htm
5. financial help--- http://www.imom.org/
6. Diabetes Info about Cats---
http://www.sugarcats.net/sites/jmpeerson/
7. Stupid Vet Tricks--- http://laurieulrich.com/jasper/vettricks.htm
8. Home Testing--- http://www.laurieulrich.com/jasper/hometesting.htm
9. http://www.tuohey1.freeserve.co.uk/diabetes/index.htm
10.Last, but not least--- http://www.bonsaikitten.com/

Old January 13th 04, 07:38 PM

Not so Wise Words 4 Diabetics wrote:

You do realize that this is a 12 year
old cat?

Apparently so as *she* posted the cat's age. Being 12 has no bearing.

I can certainly understand the
feelings for a cherished pet, and even
though I have diabetes, I am not at all
sure that I would want to undertake the
expense of keeping a diabetic cat alive.

That's certainly your choice, but that's not the issue here, is it?

This is NOT going to be only a few
dollars extra. If you are in the
money's-no-object class, then by all
means go for it. But if you are on a
tight budget, you may have to face the
reality of having your cat put to sleep.

This is crap. Yes, the initial cost of getting a cat regulated is
certainly higher than the charge of an office visit, but it is clear
that the OP is prepared and willing to deal with this, as any
*responsible* pet owner should. Doing some research, paying attention to
diet and learning to do curves at home will save quite a bit of money
and get the cat regulated more quickly.

At the age of 12, for a diabetic cat,
you may only be looking at another 2 or
3 years of life, not the greatest for
the cat, and expensive for you.

More crap. Treating a cat for diabetes is a blip on the screen of its
life if you educate yourself and monitor the cat properly, which the OP
is obviously willing to do.

Sorry to be so blunt, but you have to
face the reality of the situation.

The "reality" of the situation is that the OP asked for advice on the
tools for treating her cat's diabetes, not a primer on whether she
should have her cat killed. Your questioning her treating her cat and
related comments are rude, offensive and unnecessary.

Having said that, here is what I know
about cats & dogs with diabetes. The
Human type insulins are great for
humans, but not the best for cats.

This not true. The majority of cats are well regulated on Human insulins
and those that use PZI make a up a small percentage. I will also note
that humulin N, while a common insulin to use at the beginning of
regulating a cat, is not neccesarily the most commonly used long term.
Every cat I've seen that started out on this was switched to L or U and
did much better.

snip

stay away from the One Touch
UltraSmart, One Touch Ultra, or Accu
Check Advantage. These are the most
expensive meters on the market, and they
use the most expensive test strips;
average cost 80-86 cents each ! They may
be good for humans, but you've got a cat

Are you saying a cat isn't deserving of being monitored with the same
quality of equipment as people? Try posting your insensitive opinions to
the feline diabetes website's messageboard and see what kind of
reception you get.
I know several people with diabetic cats that use the One Touch
specifically because of the very small blood sample it uses and it's
ease of use, not to mention the fact that the info can be put on a
computer straight from the meter. I use one as well and it is a great
monitor for diabetic cats. Often you can find a deal and get the meter
for free with the purchase of test strips. The lowest price I've found
for a meter and 100 strips was $64, which isn't bad at all.

! Tight control is not the issue. Truth
is, it is not possible, because your cat
cannot talk to you. Tight control would
cause convulsions from low blood sugars.
Cats & dogs are kept alive in much the
same manner that many diabetics were
years ago, with slightly high blood
sugars. That IS the best you can do.
Therefore, the cheapest meter & test
strips on the market will give you
results that are reliable for your cat's
purposes, without sending you to the
poorhouse.

Not necessarily. A lot depends on how much blood you need. Doing an
earstick (I don't recommend paw sticks because of the risk of infection)
doesn't necessarily give you a lot of blood to work with, so using a
meter that only needs a tiny drop is necessary for monitoring cats. You
are not always going to find cheap meters that make this easy, and if
the test strips are the kind that you have to be careful handling, that
adds to the difficulty. The One Touch has none of these issues.

snip recommendation for meter that hasn't even been tried yet

For syringes, I recommend the Monoject
1cc syringe with a 29 Gage needle.

For cats, a .3cc syringe is best. What you aren't taking into account is
that with cats, if the insulin dose needs to be increased it is
generally done 1/2 unit at a time. This is very difficult to measure
when you have the larger syringe with more lines w/less space between
them. A .3cc syringe is better for accuracy (which is very important)
and is no different as far as user comfort.

I hope you realize that this is a big
thing you will be getting into. I am not
sure that I would recommend it.

Why are you trying to talk this woman out of treating her cat and
advocating for killing it? (Which you are as not treating allows for no
other real option other than unneccesary suffering followed by death.)

It is also curious that I have never
heard of talk about Type 2 diabetic cats
or dogs. They all seem to be on insulin.

Although not as common, there are many cats that are treated using diet
and the drug Glipizide.

Old January 13th 04, 07:49 PM
jamie

Alan Mackenzie wrote:

As a matter of interest, what is the "normal" blood sugar level for a
cat? Is it the same as in humans?

Fairly close I think. From what I've read so far, 70 to 120 is normal,
but they try to only regulate it to under 200 because a cat can't tell
you if it starts going too low.

--
jamie )

"There's a seeker born every minute."

Old January 13th 04, 08:33 PM
jamie

Annette wrote:
I know that there have been a number of posters here who have had
diabetic pets. Perhaps one of them may be able to help you. I
would have expected the vet to give you some ideas on where to
obtain supplies. Surely some vets stock them?

I hadn't had a chance to discuss it with the vet yet when I posted,
my husband answered when she called with the test results, and she was
in surgery when I dropped him off. I was reading up on feline diabetes
sites.

BTW, as a fellow cat lover, I have wondered how you knew or found
out that your cat was diabetic? What are the symptoms?

I was starting to suspect it, because he was drinking and peeing a lot
more, but I had thought maybe it was because we had the dry heat on a lot.
This is the first winter since I moved to TX eight years ago that we
had the heat on more than a few days all winter.

He spent 2 days pretty much hiding in a corner under the spare bed,
and was eating very little, if at all (couldn't be sure because the
cats share dishes), and I hadn't seen him camping out at the water
dish, either, so I brought him in for an exam and blood tests.

He was fine 6 weeks ago for his checkup, except for having gained
a lot of weight in the past year. I didn't think too much of that
because my other cat (now 16) also gained a couple of pounds when
he turned 12.

When I talked to the vet at the end of his first day in the hospital,
she said there was some chance that he might be able to be regulated by
a change in diet only, after he loses some more weight, *if* his diabetes
was caused by the overweight -- I assume that means rather than diabetes
causing the excess appetite that made him get fat.

Old January 13th 04, 10:28 PM
Stuart

Jamie,

I'm a type 2 diabetic myself and our oldest cat, Champagne,
developed diabetes about a year ago.

My main glucometer is the Glucometer Elite so that's what
I got for him. I lance his ears to test his glucose. Try
not to directly hit the vein that is around the perimeter
of the ear and remember to change the lancet at least every
week. I usually test twice a day, before his afternoon and
evening shots.

Food: Feed your cat a high protein low carb kitten food. We
use Purina Pro Plan kitten formula. It is 40% protein which
is the highest we've been able to find. If you cat is fortunate
he/she may have enough beta cells left to control its blood
sugar on a low carb diet. Champagne is completely insulin
dependent. He is a big guy weighing in at 18 pounds.

Insulin: We found that human insulin didn't work as well as
beef insulin. We buy PZI insulin from a compounding pharmacy
in Niagra Falls, NY. The basal dose is about 4 1/2 units
every 8 hours. If he is high when I take his sugar, I use
NPH human insulin to bring him down. 1 unit will bring him
down about 100 points in 2 hours. I try to keep him between
100 and 200.

We get syringes from Walgreens for $16 a hundred. The PZI
insulin is $50 for 10cc plus $15 shipping.

None of these numbers will be valid for your cat but I wanted
to give you a feel for the process. A hypo, low blood sugar,
is more of an immediate threat to your cat's life than a high
reading. When we were treating Champagne only with insulin,
ultra lente, I saw him go as low as 25. If I see him below
60 I give him some food to boost him up.

Be patient and be relaxed about this. You want to keep your
cat's blood glucose below 400 as a first goal. One consequence
of high blood sugar is susceptibility to infections. We are
on our second round of treating an ear infection.

All of this requires consistent work but it is worthwhile.
Champagne is the most people loving cat I've ever met. We
knew we were winning the battle when he started feeling
good enough to chase the other cats and play again.

Wishing you and your cat the best of health,

Stuart

In article , jamie
wrote:

(crossposted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav, alt.support.diabetes,
misc.health.diabetes. Follow-ups directed to rec.pets.cats.health+behav)

My 12-year-old cat was just diagnosed as diabetic.
He was admitted this morning for stabilization, and determining
his dosage and whatnot.

I've been reading up on a number of sites about feline diabetes, but
none of them seems to list suggestions about shopping for supplies.

Apparently I will need a meter that uses a small volume of blood,
and "sipping" type strips. I've read that often there are offers
of a free meter when you buy strips, and the price of replacement
strips is the major consideration.

A lot of people recommended the Glucometer Elite or the One Touch Ultra,
and one site suggested that the inexpensive WalMart Relion might be
suitable. It looks like the strips are a lot cheaper, but I haven't
seen any messages from people using one.

So I'm looking for recommendations for types of test strips, lancets,
syringes, and where to buy supplies least expensively, either online or
at local major pharmacy chains such as Walgreens or WalMart. Several of
the online diabetic supply houses I looked at don't list prices, and
seem to cater only to people covered by insurance.

I will certainly look in the newsgroups for responses, but would be
especially grateful to anyone who cares to email reply.