Perfect Sunday Morning (long)

Old September 28th 03, 06:57 PM
Steve Touchstone

Default Perfect Sunday Morning (long)

Got up early this morning, well at least early for a Sunday. Even
after 10 years after retirement from the Army, I still wake up about 5
most mornings. Most of the time I just turn over and go back to sleep,
but this morning Sammy noticed me awake and decided it was a perfect
time for some quality scritching. So after 15 minutes of that, I
decided I might as well get up and go pick up a Sunday paper.

Fed the girls and started to head out, and found Rocky curled up on
the doormat. He let me know that it was nice to see me, and would be
even nicer if I went back inside and opened up a can of food for him
as well. By the time everyone was fed, except me of course, and I put
a pot of coffee on, it was light out. Off I go, get my paper, noticing
what a beautiful fall morning it was, the first time it's been crisp
enough to wear a light jacket . Upon my return I collared the girls
and we head out on the patio - me to read and drink coffee and the
girls to explore and play.

The girls had a blast. I seldom get to sit out with them in the
morning, and they found birds eating breakfast at the feeder and
squirrels busy getting ready for winter. So much to do that they
couldn't decide what to do first. As mentioned in a thread earlier
this week, these crisp mornings really bring out the friskiness in
kitties - no not friskiness like Mr and Mrs Cunningham on Happy Days
;-)

Rocky and Sammy had loads of fun. It was the first time I've really
seen Rocky play outside, and he was busy teaching Sammy how much more
fun tag is outside than in. Lots more room to get up speed, the stairs
to run up and down, bushes to hide in and set up ambushes from, and
wooden 6x6 posts going up to the second floor balconys to climb (later
I'll have to check with the neighbors to see if their carrying on woke
anybody up - cats running up and down stairs can really produce some
noise!) I'm going to have to have a talk with Rocky later and explain
that I've set limits on where I let Sammy play, as he kept wanting to
expand her territory, even ducking through the hole in the fence once.
She was good, though, just stuck her head through the hole and then
looked back to me asking for permission to go out of the yard instead
of darting through and chasing him. When I told her no and shook the
squirt bottle at her she turned and chased her Mom.

Even Little Bit, who only rarely consents to roughhousing, was right
in there running up and down and taking her turn. First time I've seen
her play with Rocky, although truth be told most of the time she
restricted herself to chasing Sammy and let Rocky know she didn't
appreciate his chasing her. At least she stayed with the game. Sammy
was sort of a go between playing with both and alternately
tagging/chasing one of the oldsters. When one got tired, she just
switched to the other.

Little Bit was the first to give out. She headed back inside to nibble
on more breakfast, and horror of horrors, discovered that her bowl was
empty. Black Tom, or just Tommy, one of the neighbor cats who
regularly eats here, had shown up for breakfast, and was delighted to
find the door open. He went on inside like he owned the place and
scrafed down the left overs from the girls' breakfast - first time he
has ever gone inside. The girls were so busy having fun they didn't
even notice the trespass, and I didn't see him until he was sneaking
out the door.This was just too much for Little Bit, she parked herself
in the doorway in a nice sunny spot and starting grooming, then
settled down for a nice nap.

Rocky and Sammy played the rest of the time I was outside reading.
They'd play tag until tired or distracted by birds or squirrels, rest
awhile, and then one or the other would sneak into the bushes, pull an
ambush, and it was time for tag again. Tommy was the only one who
didn't join in any play - probably too stuffed from his extra helping
of breakfast - he sprawled out and took a nap on the picnic table.

Finally, I finished the paper and decided it was time to come back
inside and turn on the sprinklers to water the garden. Like any kid,
Sammy insisted that she didn't want to come inside, but as soon as I
brought her in she jumped in her carrier, with her pretty pink
towel/blanket and sacked out. Little Bit groused a little about the
cat burglar who came in and emptied the bowls. I told her I wasn't
opening another can, but put a little dry food out. She took about
three bites, then headed into the bedroom and back to bed - I should
have made the bed when I got up, now it'll have to wait until she's up
again. Rocky headed off to join Tommy on the picnic table. And of
course I fired up the computer and drank the last of the coffee.

Yep, pretty much a prefect morning...
Old September 28th 03, 08:15 PM
Hopitus2

Sounds near-perfect to me. Envy your "crispy" mornings....we won't see
"crispy" till probably late Jan. or Feb. Everything here including the
slavemasters goes in slow motion most of the time.....at least we think
we're free of sweating 'canes for the season. Our elation over totally being
ignored by Isabel was at the cost of others' expense and tribulation, far
away from us.....my brother in northern Va. still has not calmed down over
the "eye" rolling through his neighborhood @ 60mph winds, knocking out their
water supplies and toppling tree parts...really took them by surprise as
they don't live anywhere near the Atlantic.

:
[...]
: ;-)
:

Old September 28th 03, 08:40 PM
polonca12000

I loved reading about your morning, it's as though I were there myself.
Best wishes,
--
Polonca & Soncek

"Steve Touchstone" wrote in message
Got up early this morning, well at least early for a Sunday. snip

Old September 28th 03, 09:37 PM
JHBennett

For ten years after an Army career, I'd say you've managed to hit on an
adequate stress management program for transition to civilian life, Steve.
However, I do note that rising in the wee smalls is not the only residual of
old habits you still carry with you. Congratulations on the completeness
and accuracy of your report, and just where did you pick that up?
Cheers,
Jack

Old September 28th 03, 11:22 PM
Karen

in article , Steve Touchstone at
wrote on 9/28/03 12:57 PM:

[...]

THat sounds so nice. I wish my cats played together. Maybe someday.

Karen

Old September 29th 03, 04:53 AM
Marina

"Steve Touchstone" wrote