My Cat Lost Her "Meow"

Old September 1st 06, 07:00 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rushlight

Default My Cat Lost Her "Meow"

Hi all,

I have two adult kitties. Over a week ago, I noticed that the younger
one, Inky, began rasping a bit when she meowed. A few days later it
was gone completely, and though she'll open her mouth and try to meow,
no sound comes out at all.

I called my vet's office for advice. The technician asked if there
were any other changes. I told her none - her food is the same, she's
eating well, drinking water, begs for treats and romps and plays with
her sister, same as always. She's also as snuggly and affectionate as
ever.

The vet tech suggested there might be many nonserious reasons,
including allergies (Inky is a solid white shorthair except for a few
smokey "inkspots" on her head - hence the name - and prone to mild ear
and eye troubles as many white animals are). She went on to say that
as long as she seemed fine in every other way, it was probably nothing
and her voice would return in time.

So far it hasn't, and I'm concerned. Has anyone ever experienced this
before? Any advice?

Thanks!
Rushlight

Old September 1st 06, 07:12 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Matthew

Rushlight do your self a favor call another vet and ask their opinion.
There could be several reason why the voice has been lost including some
serious issues ( which I doubt IMO with your info in your post )

In any situation I always go with my gut feelings If you feel something is
wrong than there is something wrong

Along time ago I had a cat that lost its voice it was due to an infection in
their larynx they looked fine outside acted fine ate fine drank fine.
After a few days of antibiotics the furball was fine

oups.com...

Old September 1st 06, 10:22 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rushlight

"Rushlight" wrote in message
[...]

You're right, Matthew. I'm taking her in; I don't care what he says.
What if she has a tumor? I keep thinking, maybe she has a tumor! I'm
a bit of a hypochondriac, not only about my own health, but my
husband's and both cats, too! Still, that means it's a nice surprise
for me when nothing serious is wrong! :-)

Rushlight

Old September 1st 06, 10:32 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Matthew

Good luck Keep us informed
Always got with the gut It is almost never wrong

"Rushlight" wrote in message
ps.com...

Old September 2nd 06, 02:49 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
sosessyithurts

Matthew wrote:

Along time ago I had a cat that lost its voice it was due to an infection in
their larynx they looked fine outside acted fine ate fine drank fine.
After a few days of antibiotics the furball was fine

Infection was my first thought too

Old September 2nd 06, 04:37 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
blkcatgal

This happened to my cat. Turned out to be an upper respiratory infection.
His throat was quite inflamed. The vet prescribed antibiotics. I suggest
you take your cat to the vet for an exam.

Sue

Old September 2nd 06, 12:25 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

You're right, Matthew. I'm taking her in; I don't care what he says.
What if she has a tumor? I keep thinking, maybe she has a tumor! I'm
a bit of a hypochondriac, not only about my own health, but my
husband's and both cats, too! Still, that means it's a nice surprise
for me when nothing serious is wrong! :-)

Kira had an eye infection awhile back. When it returned again, she also
lost her meow. She could growl, but no meow.

I don't know the exact cause of that, but she was given antibiotics for
an infection, and her meow returned within a few days.