Clicker Training..

Old May 5th 04, 11:52 PM
Tiners

"Tree Line" wrote in message
om...
Ah, free. Well, I tried to get some info from clickertraining.com,
but I think she was off doing seminars. I wanted to go to her seminar
but they were many hundreds of dollars, alas.

Finally, got tired of waiting for a reply for an email about sending
a check so just borrowed the book, brand new and unused, from my

library,
HOT DAMN!

Lots of good info she has in her book, Karen Pryor. Others have some
info too. Wendy Jeffries has info in her Yahoo clicker cat group.

I find it does work. Fortunately my cat likes kibble so I don't have

mess
with the spoon and wet food or fingers. CAUTION, if using wet food,

buy a
BABY SPOON so your cat in its eagerness does not break a tooth. I

noticed
the professional trainers using the very soft baby spoons, cute too,

the
spoons and the trainers. Very Friskies oriented, he-he.

Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum --
I think that I think,
therefore I think that I am.

Someone is doing a lot of cogitation, lately, but Descartes
might be wrong. Thinking is not always thinking although
it leads one to think that one is thinking.

Hehe I love that e-mail signature. I don't speak Latin myself. All I

know
is what I read and your explaination sounds better than mine. Must be a
philsopy major. I only got a certificate in Customer Service.

Tina

Thanks for the compliment and there is a bit of truth there that I
studied both philosophy and Latin originally. But customer service
sounds so sexy - if they let you out of the cubicle.

I liked your improvement over Descartes who only had Cogito ergo sum
which probably means: Having thought, therefore, I am (exist). Oops,
here comes my cat, time to feed her. She's trilling. Gotta go.

No Cubicle no more!! heh I got outta that raquet a year ago. I've been
workin in retail ever since and I love it. I love the people I work with.
I love the customers!! Even though their mostly contractors. I work for the
best damn Home Improvment company out there. I'm quite happy. The company
I used to work for sucked big time!! Lot's of people in cliches who if you
weren't part of the cliches you weren't promoted. As they say it's not who
you know it's who you well you get the picture.

Tina

--
---

Old May 5th 04, 11:54 PM
Tiners

"Leigh Bain" wrote in message

"Tiners" wrote in message
et.cable.rogers.com...
Hey

I bought a clicker today and I wanted to know how you clicker train your
cat. Someone here or on another newsgroup posted how you do it. I'd

like
to find out. Mine sure are bored and I'd love to clicker train em

I think that might have been me. I'm not the expert on this my husband

knows
MUCH more about this so when he gets off work 2:30 PST I'll ask him about

it
and then post when he knows. From what I know is that the clicker is used
and then a treat is given when the training is done properly? I can't
recall. I'll ask my husband. Someone mentioned the Yahoo group they can
probably give you a lot more help then I can

Good luck with the clicker training. It wasn't successful for me, I have
very stubborn cats. They looked at me "Are you crazy? You want me to do
what? You do it. I'm taking a nap."

- Leigh

It's not going to well but I keep trying. I had one he was able to sit on
command but since we got a companion for him he gives me the are you crazy
look. I should try wet kitty food. They like that.. I'll keep trying and
keep you posted!! Thanks!!

Tina

--
---

Old May 6th 04, 05:46 PM
James Marz

rpl wrote in message . net.cable.rogers.com...
James Marz wrote:
I don't know about clickers, but I do know that a BB gun works very
well in cat training. They learn very quickly to listen to me or *pop*
MREEOOOOWWWWWWRRRREEEOOOOW. A clicker just aggravates the cats they
need to know who the boss is.

Bet the cat laughed its ass off when you slid across a BB on the floor
and fell on your butt.

A bit too rough, though, the cat would then avoid you as opposed to
trying to do what you say (this works fine if the command you're using
is "get the hell out").

Otherwise the trick to negative-reinforcement (if you believe in that)
and cats is to **** them off... take the cat off the kitchen counter
where it knows it shouldn't be and rub its fur the wrong way so it has
to spend 20 minutes putting all its hair back in place.

pat

Messing a cats fur up really does irritate them, but shaving a bald
spot on top of their head, right between the ears really gets them
going. But don't try this if you have more than one cat because the
other cats will want to be done that way too. Cats just hate it if one
cat gets all the special attention.

James Marz