Help, my cat is a serial killer!

Old June 27th 07, 05:11 PM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav,rec.pets.cats.misc
Baldoni

Default Help, my cat is a serial killer!

Kaarl Hungus explained :
"William Graham" wrote in message
. ..

"Dan Espen" wrote in message
"Garret Swayne" writes:

-to not react with anger or displeasure at the sight of his kill, for
it's
really a "gift" that he's offering me and I don't want to appear
"ungracious".

Now this latter observation, I must say, I can't help but be skeptical
about. Is that really true? Or are we just stretching to ascribe
"positive" human attributes to our feline buddies, whom we love and
cherish?
If cats were really "givers" by nature, I'd think they're smart enough to
figure out a lot of other things we'd prefer to receive rather than a
dead
carcass! Seriously, is there any scientific research to suggest that
they
really are bringing us what they consider a "gift"?

I don't think looking at it as a "gift" is the right perpective.
As you say, it's too complex a trait to attribute to a cat.

Mother cats will bring home kills for the kittens.
That may be the basis of the evolution of the instinct.
Instincts aren't reasoned, they are built in.
Most likely the instinct operates in females even when they don't
have kittens and in males even though they don't normally provide
food for kittens.

After a cat kills it's prey and eats it's fill it is no longer hungry
and it's no longer satisfying the hunting instinct.

Therefore weaker instincts are going to take over.
It's going to return home, why not take the animal with it?
It's not a complex behavior, it doesn't require complex motives
to operate.

We once had a mother cat bring home a full grown pheasant.
Small cat, really large bird.

Large birds of prey will sometimes kill cats....I had a cat who was almost
killed by a large osprey....It swooped down onto my rear deck while the cat
was sunning itself, and almost got it....Fortunately, the cat door to our
bedroom was right next to the cat, so it escaped inside before the bird
could get her......but it was a close call......

I live in Florida, so I see ospreys on a daily basis. Sure, I'd hate to
tangle with one if I were a cat, but these birds aren't any larger than 5
pounds or so. I have a hard time believing that an osprey could subdue your
average housecat.

We got foxes near us but to the best of my knowledge they have not
attacked any of the cats.

--
Count Baldoni

Old June 27th 07, 11:18 PM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav,rec.pets.cats.misc
William Graham

"Kaarl Hungus" wrote in message
. ..

"William Graham" wrote in message
. ..
:
: "Dan Espen" wrote in message
: ...
: "Garret Swayne" writes:
:
[...]

This bird looked larger than that to me, but I didn't get a really good look
at it....I heard the thump as it hit the wooden floor of out rear deck, and
when I looked out, the cat was high-tailing it through the cat door, and the
bird was taking off again.....Perhaps it was an eagle....I'm not a bird
watcher, so I have problems identifying them....We live about a half mile
from the river (Willamette) so we get a lot of ospreys........

Old June 28th 07, 11:27 PM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav,rec.pets.cats.misc
Baldoni

William Graham formulated the question :
"Kaarl Hungus" wrote in message
. ..

"William Graham" wrote in message
. ..
:
: "Dan Espen" wrote in message
: ...
: "Garret Swayne" writes:
:
[...]

Where I live it is not unusual to see crows chase the buzzards !

--
Count Baldoni

Old June 28th 07, 11:47 PM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav,rec.pets.cats.misc
William Graham

"Baldoni @googlemail.com" baldoniXXVnil wrote in message

Where I live it is not unusual to see crows chase the buzzards !

--
Count Baldoni

Yes....Smaller, more maneuverable birds will frequently harass hawks which
are larger and less able to defend themselves in the air.