Marbles has an abscess

Old February 6th 05, 08:56 AM
Candace

Default Marbles has an abscess

Many of you know about my newest kitty, Marbles, who after 7 months
with us, still has to be separated from our other 2 cats, Scottie and
Abbey, due to his desire to chase and torment them. We have something
of a routine worked out where Marbles lives in 2 rooms most of the time
and comes out for 3-4 hours in the evenings and sometimes a little
longer on weekends. At those times, Scottie and Abbey hide under the
futon in the family room. He looks at them some but usually just
spends his time going to various windows and exploring. He doesn't
attempt to go under the futon to get them. Lately, Abbey has been a
little braver and if Marbles is being quiet, she will come out from
under the futon but still stay close enough to make a getaway. He
doesn't seem to find her as interesting to chase as he does Scottie.

Well, when we go out to dinner, we often just leave Marbles out because
everyone knows the routine. Last Wed. night, though, we were out for a
little more than an hour and when we came back, there was orange fur
(Scottie's) all over the living room and also Scottie's collar was
lying there. I surmised that Marbles was sleeping in the living room
and being very quiet, so Scottie wrongly assumed he was back in his
rooms and he must have ventured into the living room from his safe
place in the family room. Marbles must have ambushed him and a fight
ensued. It looked like Marbles was the only one who got any licks in,
but...

Last night, Friday, I noticed Marbles had a sore on his ear and it also
smelled funky. So I called the vet today, who was full and couldn't
get us in. They did call back later and say I could drop him off and
the vet would look at him between patients but I would have to pay an
unscheduled office visit fee. I've gone there for years, spent
thousands of bucks, so I was miffed and took Marbles to a different
vet. He had an abscess, the vet drained it, gave him a shot, and
prescribed Clavamox. But he also said I would have to clean the wound
and get the pus out twice a day or else hospitalize him for at least 2
days for about $400. I opted for the former, not only for the $$, but
I knew Marbles would be miserable caged. He doesn't seem to feel sick
and he would have been stuck there over the weekend when the vets don't
even come in. A tech would have done the cleaning of the wound.

Well, it's gross. I just did the first cleaning. There are 3 puncture
wounds, one on top of the ear and two inside. I used a warm washcloth
and did get some pus out. Yuk. I read up on it on the internet and
this does seem to be standard procedure. I guess I thought before that
once antibiotics are being given, that the abscess will just go away
without further treatment. Wrong. So, needless to say, I am dreading
the next couple of days and hoping I can do it right so he doesn't wind
up being hospitalized..

So, Scottie did get some licks in, after all. I was hoping he would
toughen up and stand up for himself a little but I have to say, I wish
he hadn't and I certainly hope this doesn't occur ever again. Poor
Marbles, he's a very good patient and was very brave at the vet, even
snuggling up to the vet after the guy lanced his wounds.

Candace

See my cats:
http://photos.yahoo.com/maccandace

"One does not meet oneself until one catches the reflection -from an
eye other
than human." (Loren Eisely)

Old February 6th 05, 01:42 PM
Karen Chuplis

in article , Candace at
wrote on 2/6/05 1:56AM:

[...]

Purrs for a quick recovery!

Old February 6th 05, 11:00 PM
Cheryl

On Sun 06 Feb 2005 02:56:42a, Candace wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav
roups.com):

I surmised that Marbles was sleeping in the living room
and being very quiet, so Scottie wrongly assumed he was back in
his rooms and he must have ventured into the living room from
his safe place in the family room. Marbles must have ambushed
him and a fight ensued. It looked like Marbles was the only one
who got any licks in, but...

I had hoped they would be doing better by now, Candace. But you're
doing a great job with them given the situation. I'm glad Scottie got
a few "punches" in even though it resulted in poor Marbles at the
vet. Maybe Scottie's gaining some confidence? Anyhow, I have no idea
but I hope it gets better.

--
Cheryl
Old February 7th 05, 05:46 PM
Barb

You've got your hands full. Have you tried Fellway? Some posters have
great luck with that.

I'm glad you found a different vet. I never heard of paying extra because
you didn't have an earlier appointment. And they should have taken you in
right away no matter what. Other pet owners understand if they have to wait
a little longer because of an emergency.

--
Barb
Of course I don't look busy,

Old February 8th 05, 03:47 AM
Candace

Barb wrote:

You've got your hands full. =A0Have you tried Fellway? =A0Some posters
have
great luck with that.

I'm glad you found a different vet. =A0I never heard of paying extra
because
you didn't have an earlier appointment. =A0And they should have taken you
in
right away no matter what. =A0Other pet owners understand if they have to
wait
a little longer because of an emergency.

Yeah, but I went back to my regular vet tonight and feel much more
comfortable with how he treated it. I now don't have to be massaging
his ear myself to get the pus out. The vet took care of it. I'm still
a little upset but I don't want to leave that practice and there were
many things about the other vet that I wan't too thrilled about
(mentioned on another thread).

Candace

See my cats:
http://photos.yahoo.com/maccandace

"One does not meet oneself until one catches the reflection -from an
eye other=20
than human." =A0(Loren Eisely)

Old February 8th 05, 03:49 AM
Candace

Meghan wrote:

Maynard had his abcess a couple years ago. Somebody got him in the
butt, just below his tail and to the side. The vet cleaned it out and
gave me some antibiotics, but I didn't have to put anything in the
actual abcess. It healed up great. He just has a tiny white line where
the hair didn't grow back in.

Ugh, I've never had a cat with an abscess before. I hope I never do
again, they're a drag.

Old February 8th 05, 03:51 AM
Candace

Barb =A0 Feb 7, 8:46=A0am =A0 =A0 show options
Newsgroups: rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Barb wrote:

You've got your hands full. =A0Have you tried Fellway? =A0Some posters
have
great luck with that.

Yes, both the spray and the diffusers, made no diff at all...

Old February 8th 05, 05:45 PM
Barb

It's good that Marbles didn't stay at the vet. Once a couple of neighbors
rang my bell and asked me to chip in with them to treat an old stray for an
absess. The three of us paid for a stay of several days for the cat.

--
Barb
Of course I don't look busy,