Personality change following neutering

Old March 26th 06, 11:08 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default Personality change following neutering

Apparently, my 15 month-old tom-cat Stinky has reverted to kittenhood
after castration. He plays with his sitster like he used to as a
kitten,
is much more fearful (of loud noises, people, etc), goes out much less
frequently and sleeps a lot more, and has stopped roaming at night.
The only good thing is that he no longer comes home with fighting
injuries. Still, it makes me feel very guilty.

Is Stinky's behavior change normal? Will he ever regain his confidence
and swagger?
Thanks.

Old March 26th 06, 11:22 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"223rem" wrote in message
oups.com...
Apparently, my 15 month-old tom-cat Stinky has reverted to kittenhood
after castration. He plays with his sitster like he used to as a
kitten,
is much more fearful (of loud noises, people, etc), goes out much less
frequently and sleeps a lot more, and has stopped roaming at night.
The only good thing is that he no longer comes home with fighting
injuries. Still, it makes me feel very guilty.

Is Stinky's behavior change normal? Will he ever regain his confidence
and swagger?
Thanks.

Hard for me to answer.

He plays with his sister.
Goes out less frequently
Has stopped roaming at night.

You don't consider those good things?

Old March 27th 06, 12:52 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

223rem wrote:

Apparently, my 15 month-old tom-cat Stinky has reverted to kittenhood
after castration. He plays with his sitster like he used to as a
kitten,
is much more fearful (of loud noises, people, etc), goes out much less
frequently and sleeps a lot more, and has stopped roaming at night.
The only good thing is that he no longer comes home with fighting
injuries. Still, it makes me feel very guilty.

Is Stinky's behavior change normal? Will he ever regain his confidence
and swagger?

Unless he had an unrelated stressful experience at the
vet's, I can't believe the surgery would be responsible for
anything but less tendency to roam (a good thing) and fewer
incidents of inappropriate spraying (an even BETTER thing).
Are you COMPLAINING because he seems more playful?

Old March 27th 06, 03:04 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Are you COMPLAINING because he seems more playful?

------------------

no exactly; its just that he's a lot more infantile in his play

Old March 27th 06, 03:17 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Heck rem my 12 year old Phantom plays and acts like a kitten all the
time I look at him like he nuts Cats will be cats we are just there for
their amusement
ups.com...

Old March 27th 06, 12:02 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

I think you thought that he would be "de-masculinized" when you got him
neutered, that's why you put it off for so long. Now that you have done it,
you are looking for any little sign to prove yourself right.
Subconsciously, of course. I wouldn't worry about it, he seems like a happy
cat and will live a much longer, healthier life because of it.
--
Britta

oups.com...

Old March 27th 06, 06:29 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"badwilson" wrote in message
I think you thought that he would be "de-masculinized" when you got him
neutered, that's why you put it off for so long. Now that you have done
it,
you are looking for any little sign to prove yourself right.
Subconsciously, of course. I wouldn't worry about it, he seems like a
happy
cat and will live a much longer, healthier life because of it.
--
Britta

You have put my own thoughts into words better than I could have, Britta.
Boyfriend was an intact male when he came here and remained so for quite a
long time - because he wouldn't let me touch him, he was too shy.
Neutering him has not changed his temperament in the least. He is still the
gentle, polite boy that he was before. He did not swagger before he was
neutered and he doesn't now.
He does stay around home more than he did and I'm glad he won't get ripped
up in fights. He still likes to patrol his territory regularly and rub his
face on all the trees etc. Sometimes it seems like he asks to go out to
check his land every few minutes at night ;-) and each time I have to open
the door for him. Up and down like a fiddler's elbow I am. Meow! he wants
to go out. Meow! he wants to come in. Ad nauseum.

He is still a good hunter of (small) rats and mice, and unfortunately some
birds.
Neutering him has not prevented him "being who he was before" it has saved
him from the threat of contracting feline AIDS through fighting and adding
to the population of unwanted kittens.
(Although I can't help thinking that a few kittens like Boyfie would have
been a good thing!)

Tweed