Tornado Safety purrs

Old April 1st 06, 08:49 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default Tornado Safety purrs

http://www.nws.noaa.gov/nwr/ list of all radios and frequencies used for
weather alert reports

"John F. Eldredge" wrote in message
On Fri, 31 Mar 2006 09:51:22 -0500, "Magic Mood Jeep©"
wrote:

Jeanne Hedge wrote:
On Thu, 30 Mar 2006 20:59:43 -0600, "Pat"
wrote:

My greatest fear is tornados that strike in the night when I'm
asleep, but I am too tired to stay awake any longer tonight and
don't want to sleep in the dank basement which I have so far not had
time to clean. Would appreciate some purrs to keep me & the owners
safe tonight.

Pat, from one resident of "tornado alley" (albeit the eastern fringes)
to one in the middle of things - get a weather radio! You should look
for the kind that goes off like an alarm clock if there are
weather-related warnings in your area. Put it at your bedside, turn
the volume up, and you'll most certainly wake up!

(I once had one that would play the weather stations, but didn't have
an alarm function)

Jeanne Hedge, as directed by Natasha

============
http://www.jhedge.com

We had one of those, but had to toss it as it kept going off for the
simplest of *thunderstorms*, and we couldn't figure out how to change the
settings! Talk about annoying!

My current weather radio, purchased at Radio Shack, allows you to
choose both what geographical areas are covered (generally
corresponding to counties) and what types of warnings should cause the
radio to sound an alarm. You hook it up temporarily to your computer,
use a program supplied with the radio to make your choices, then
detach it from the computer. The radio has a 9-volt battery for
backup power to preserve the settings. You only have to enter them
again if the power is off for long enough that the battery goes dead.
If I remember correctly, I paid around $40.00 for the radio.

They have cheaper radios that lack the type-of-warnings feature, but
it is definitely worth the extra money, from my point of view. A
previous weather radio woke me up in the middle of the night several
times with flash flood warnings. Since my house is on top of a hill,
I don't need to hear about flash flood warnings until I get up in the
morning.

--
John F. Eldredge --
PGP key available from

Old April 3rd 06, 02:10 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On Sat, 1 Apr 2006 02:31:37 -0600, "jmcquown"
wrote:

Yep, when the one ripped through about a mile from me in 1998, I sure did
hear the freight train. But there's also a warning siren on the corner so I
heard that first.

Hope that siren isn't going off tonight. I just heard there's a
tornado warning out for the area where I think you live?

Old April 3rd 06, 02:11 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On Sat, 1 Apr 2006 06:50:56 -0500, "Magic Mood Jeep©"
wrote:
Jeanne Hedge wrote:

(you're in Brown Co, right?)

Monroe county, Northwest of Lake Monroe.

Hang on, MMJ! They're coming through *again*!

I hope Pat has done ok today

Old April 3rd 06, 02:58 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"Jeanne Hedge" wrote

Hang on, MMJ! They're coming through *again*!

I hope Pat has done ok today

We had a watch for a while but nothing too severe, a mild hailstorm in town,
but out west of town they had softball-size hail.