Update on Rutherford, my floor-****ing cat

Old September 7th 04, 12:34 PM
Wendy

"jimmy the LD" wrote in message
Do you have other cats? Were they near the liter box
when he sprayed?

Nope - no other cats, and only a 15 year old toy poodle, about the size of

mini-soccerball. He also uses his litterbox frequently, which completely
stuns me. It just seems as though he has adopted this one 4X4 area of our
living room.

It seems he has adopted it..what you need to do is physically prevent

him
from being able to use it long enough for him to "un-adopt" it

We're not really sure what you mean here; do you mean to say that we want
him to understand that it's NOT okay for him to **** on the wall and floor
there by adding his litterbox as a deterrent, or do you mean we should

have
more than one litterbox...?

We'll try the litterbox-in-the-spot thing tomorrow.
Any other suggestions? We're considering shelling out the mega moolah for
the Feliway...

This is the cheapest I've found Feliway. http://www.biovets.com/ Someone
else might know a cheaper site but I haven't found it.

To all: Rutherford is a neutered, declawed hobo-kitty that we found on a
jobsite and adopted. He's been to the vet, and he checks out. No
infections, no Leukemia.

He's a cute *******, which is why this is so difficult.
Check him out (I know I posted this before...):
http://music.jimhutchison.com/myrutherford.htm

Please keep the suggestions coming.
Jimmy and Emily

I've found Nature's Miracle to be a waste of money as well. Someone else
posted the following:

From an old post:

"I recommend ODOKLEEN to remove any urine or feces (it
requires lots of rinsing, though - a wet vac works wonders for this),
and then treating the area with ODOKILL or NODOR to remove the odor.
I have yet to find an odor which is not removed using NODOR. ODOKLEEN
and ODOKILL are available through pet supply stores. NODOR is made by
Nu-Scents in Knoxville, TN, USA. They are a very small company and do
not ship outside of NA. Their product can be ordered in the US by
credit card by calling 1*(800)*262*9366. They ship via UPS. They are
very nice people. NODOR will kill male spray smell."

HTH,

--

OTOH it might be easier and cheaper in the long run to have the carpet
professionally done by a firm that deals with pet odors. It might be

I also remember someone suggesting getting one of those plastic carpet
runners that have the nubs on the underside and putting it on the spot
upside down. The cat isn't supposed to like walking on the nubs.

I'd set up another litter box anyway. Some cats don't like using a box if it
already has poop in it and lets face it short of following them around 24/7
the box is going to be dirty (by their definition) at some point until you
have a chance to clean it.

Old September 7th 04, 04:48 PM
DL Farnworth

"M.C. Mullen" wrote in
message ...
| It seems he's marking because he does not like the
smell on the spot.
| I had the same problem with the dog. I could put the
rug into the washing
| mashine, but she still marked - until I got a new
one. Now I have peace.
| Here's something to cheer you up: I took the backpack
out of the attic in
| order to use it for a school trip (I'm a teacher).
Darling Micky the cat
| sprayed on it. Guess what sort of smell followed me
all the time? Well, he
| made sure I didn't forget about him while I was away
:-)

| Carola

When I flew to Russia (12 hour flight) I carried on a
gym bag which, unknown to me, Baby had gotten at before
I left. She hates anyone leaving.

I put it under the seat ahead and the scent wafted
back. Disconcerting. I had to keep turning around to
glare behind me.

Old September 7th 04, 04:48 PM
DL Farnworth

Old September 8th 04, 12:43 PM
Tiger Girl

Seems like there are two veins of thought here - one is revolving
around how to get the smell out of the rug and the other related one
is how to improve his litterbox habits.

It's the second one that puzzles me. Jim, you did say he "sprayed"
right? Spraying is not the same thing as peeing, and cats do it for
totally different reasons - so I don't think that playing litterbox
games is going to do the trick. You've got a formerly outdoor cat,
who's now marking territory inside the house. Not only that, but he's
doing it in a manner that is designed to attract _your_ attention
(spraying right in front of you).

Question is why?

Getting the nasty rank smell out of the rug is going to help, but I
think that the problem solving ought to revolve more around why the
cat now needs to mark territory inside.

You say there are no new pets.

How about new members of the household? How long has Emily been
around? Is she pregnant (not being nosy - cats can smell these things
& sometimes flake out)?

Have you moved recently?

Have you moved the furniture recently, exposing a spot in the room
where a former tenants cat marked?

Have you brought any used furniture that might smell of other cats in
recently?

Have your brought in new furniture that was treated with
anti-flammables and is outgassing and creating smells that are
invisible to you, but not to him?

Have you or Emily changed your patterns of being home - started
spending more time away due to job or whatever, so that Rutherford
feels like he needs to call you back, or spending more time there so
that he feels infringed upon?

Is your relationship ok? Have you been fighting or engaging in
situations that cause tension in the household?

Have you had new friends start spending time in the house?

Something has changed - cats are flaky, but they're not insane, and
they don't do things at random. I'm not suggesting that you've been a
Bad Cat Dad or anything - just that sometimes cat psychology responds
in very different ways than people psychology. Rutherford sounds like
a well-adjusted cat, and judging from these pictures, loves you and
Emily - he's suddenly started spraying, ergo, something has changed.
Issue is to figure out what...

Hope this helps,

TG

Old September 8th 04, 01:32 PM
Enfilade

Cats will not **** where they eat. Put a bowl of food in the area
where he has been ****ing. Right now, the fact that he keeps using
this area shows that he sees it as a toilet. With the presence of
food he will be forced to see it as a dinnertable.

Also use cleaning products to try to remove the **** smell, and maybe
put out another litterbox somewhere--he may think it's too far to walk
to the other one and just wants a potty closer to that location.
Especially at his age. A more convenient second litterbox may be a
more appealing alternative than ****ing at the "new table".

--Fil

Old September 8th 04, 11:59 PM
Trish

haha, my cat uses my dog's bowl as a litter. well ok, the dog drives the
cat nuts so maybe its justifiable revenge!

"rinn" wrote in message
I put food down where my cats were peeing and they practically peed right

in
the food bowls!!!!

om...

Old September 9th 04, 03:03 PM
B&S

"Wendy" wrote in message

"jimmy the LD" wrote in message
Do you have other cats? Were they near the liter box
when he sprayed?

I've found Nature's Miracle to be a waste of money as well.

(SNIP)

We also found Nature's Miracle to be a waste of money. The only thing that
worked for us was to paint over (almost seal in) the areas where the cat had
peed. Of course this was on cement, which we then carpeted over.

The things we tried that did not work we
Nature's Miracle
Some other really expensive enzyme cleaner from the vet
white vinegar
numerous other cleaners (like Lysol, Mr. Clean, etc)
even bleach didn't work

With our puppy pee the best thing is using our Hoover Steam Vac over and
over on the spot. We didn't have that when the cat decided to pee. : /

But I would definitely replace the pad under the area, and paint the sub
floor in addition to a steam vac. If any got on the wall, clean that well
and paint it also. We needed to completely eliminate the smell to stop him
from peeing in the area again. And while we were doing this, we blocked him
from the area so he couldn't use it again.

Is there a way to block him from the area and have appropriate litter boxes
elsewhere until he can unlearn this nasty habit? My college roomate's cat
used to spray/pee everywhere, but when she moved (and got away from the
smell I assume) he only peed where he was supposed to. (Yes, he was
neutered).

Good luck!!!!!! I feel your pain. : )

Shelly