(OT) Selling a Car, sort of venting

Old March 5th 09, 09:17 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Average Joe

Default (OT) Selling a Car, sort of venting

"jmcquown" wrote in message
I need to sell my mother's car as part of settling her estate. (Before you
ask, I do have a realistic blue-book value on it.) I've never sold a car
outright before, only just traded mine in when buying a new car. So I'm
sort of stumped as to how to do this. (I did say "stumped", not "stupid"!)
This requires some explanation so pardon me for the length of this post.

Nothing about living on this gorgeous island is easy. The home owners
association has very strict rules. For example, if I wanted to sell the
house (which I'm NOT doing) I couldn't put a "For Sale" sign in my front
yard. The realtor can't put a "for sale" sign in the yard, either. They
have to take photos and put them (along with an enticing description) in
those glossy real estate magazines you find outside of grocery stores.
Then you sit back and hope someone, especially the real estate agent,
cares

If I wanted to sell extraneous furniture, I'm not allowed to have a tag
sale/yard sale. Mom's lawyer said even estate sales are prohibited by the
island covenants. I can't just set it out by the curb and hope someone
who drives by will take it. (Back in Memphis, you set something by the
curb, within 30 minutes it's gone. I call it "curbcycle".) Not just
anyone can get onto the island.

At this point I should explain, the island is very secure. There's only
one way on and off, through a gate manned 24/7. They allow known
contractors in (if they've paid a fee for a pass; this includes
landscapers, plumbers, electricians, etc.) But no contractors are allowed
on the island on Sunday, period! For every other "guest", the resident
has to call the gate and say "so and so is coming to see me". And we have
to tell the guard how long they'll be here. I love the security but this
is sometimes a hassle!

And therein lies the crux of my problem. I could advertise the car in a
local newspaper. But the people who want to come look at it would have to
make an appointment with me in advance. I have to let the gate know when
they're coming. The same deal would apply if I advertise the car on that
Carmax website where you list your car. It would be by appointment only.

I suppose I don't really have a problem with the appointment thing. I
just don't think it's very convenient for either party. I've been taken
by surprise twice in the last 5 days with phone calls from Mom's lawyer
saying "Okay, it's time to do this, you need to come in so we can go over
this paperwork." I can't very well tell the lawyer, "Sorry, Joe Schmoe is
supposed to come look at the Buick. Could you ask the probate court for
an extension on filing that?" LOL

NOTE: I don't want to take it to a "used car lot" (not that there are any
Buick dealerships within 50 miles). I'm not looking to trade it in. And
it's not my job as executrix to give a dealership a cut of the estate,
either.

I'm stumped as to the best way to sell this friggin car. (CAVEAT: I'm
not actually expecting you to have the answer, just venting LOL)

Jill

It's my understanding that CARMAX will buy your car outright. Make an
appointment to take it to them for thier appraisal, let them tell you what
they'll pay, and since you have a good idea of bluebook value, you can
negotiate from there if their offer seems low. It's worth a shot.