Can I Whine?

Old January 15th 04, 04:53 AM
Sherry

Default Can I Whine?

We rented to the first tenant we ever had, ever, who didn't have cats. Word
just got around that we were pretty lenient about pets and somehow the cat
owners just always migrated our way. The guy has skipped out, disappeared,
can't be located anywhere since mid December. Hasn't paid rent since November.
I have no idea what to do with his stuff. The is the *first* time ever we
have been gigged by a tenant.

Moral of the story is, don't trust anybody who doesn't have at least one cat.

Sherry
Old January 15th 04, 06:34 AM
Yowie

"Sherry " wrote in message
We rented to the first tenant we ever had, ever, who didn't have cats.

Word
just got around that we were pretty lenient about pets and somehow the cat
owners just always migrated our way. The guy has skipped out,

disappeared,
can't be located anywhere since mid December. Hasn't paid rent since

November.
I have no idea what to do with his stuff. The is the *first* time ever

we
have been gigged by a tenant.

Moral of the story is, don't trust anybody who doesn't have at least one

cat.

Duuno about where youare, but AFAIK, under our law, you are entitled to sell
his stuff and use the proceedings to repay the debt to you. Anything above
the debt he owes you (haha) needs to be repaid to him, providing of course,
you can find him. You are also entitled to dispose of the stuff as you see
fit, and charge the cost of disposal to your missing tenant (ie, if you ever
find him, you can call the debt collectors in).

What I'd do is chuck out the crap, and use any of the good stuff for
"semi-furnished" for the next set of tenants. That way, the old tenant will
be repaying the debt by 'renting' his possessions to you, and you subletting
them :-)

And I'd advise anyone going into the landlord business that they get special
rental insurance to cover this sort of stupid tenant stuff (assuming you
have such things there).

Sorry that the tenant has done a nasty on you, and I"m not surprised that
cats make a good reference for their humans.

Yowie

Old January 15th 04, 02:18 PM
Duke of URL

In ,
Sherry radiated into the WorldWideWait:

We rented to the first tenant we ever had, ever, who didn't have
cats. Word just got around that we were pretty lenient about pets
and somehow the cat owners just always migrated our way. The guy
has skipped out, disappeared, can't be located anywhere since mid
December. Hasn't paid rent since November. I have no idea what to
do with his stuff. The is the *first* time ever we have been
gigged by a tenant.

Moral of the story is, don't trust anybody who doesn't have at
least one cat.

Call your local County/City/Whatever Attorney. You are usually
required to keep the possessions for a specific time, then they're
yours and you can turn them over to an auctioneer and get some cash.

Old January 15th 04, 02:24 PM
Sherry

I can see your future adverts: For rent: at least 1 cat, can have more than
one human.

Karen

LOL, Karen! I think you're on to something. "Deposit required if owned by more
than 1 human".
Sherry

Sherry
Old January 15th 04, 02:41 PM
Sherry

Duuno about where youare, but AFAIK, under our law, you are entitled to sell
his stuff and use the proceedings to repay the debt to you.

You can here too, but it's a long process that requires notification in the
newspaper, and other legal rigamarole, when you can't find the person. . His
ex-wife and children can't even find him, so I doubt I can either. I hired an
attorney, (good money after bad) and rented a storage facility (more good
money) till the process is complete..
That's a good idea about the furniture.

Sheryr
Old January 15th 04, 06:35 PM
Bev

Duke of URL wrote:

In ,
Sherry radiated into the WorldWideWait:

We rented to the first tenant we ever had, ever, who didn't have
cats. Word just got around that we were pretty lenient about pets
and somehow the cat owners just always migrated our way. The guy
has skipped out, disappeared, can't be located anywhere since mid
December. Hasn't paid rent since November. I have no idea what to
do with his stuff. The is the *first* time ever we have been
gigged by a tenant.

Moral of the story is, don't trust anybody who doesn't have at
least one cat.

Call your local County/City/Whatever Attorney. You are usually
required to keep the possessions for a specific time, then they're
yours and you can turn them over to an auctioneer and get some cash.

In New Zealand people who rent flats have to put up a bond which covers
damage and skipping off without paying. It's a great idea! I am so
sorry you have been ripped off though.
Perhaps cat-loving tenants are the best

Bev
Old January 15th 04, 10:03 PM
Sherry

You have my sympathies. I'm my landlord's quasi-building manager, and
deal with showing apartments, getting them rented, seeing what needs
to be done when they leave, getting estimates and all that stuff.
There are a lot of open apartments in my area right now, and my
landlord, who only owns six units, has *3* of them open right now (two
people got houses, one moved to Pittsburgh). He's hurting, to say the
least. I've done everything I can to draw people in, including making
a nice "Pet-Friendly Apartments for Rent" flyer and posting it about
town, but so far, I am wondering where all the kitty lovers are! Hope
they show up soon!

Hope you get your former tenant's mess straightened out soon, and
sorry you had to deal with this.

Ginger-lyn

Ginger, I think "pet friendly" will truly draw in some good people. It must be
hard to find pet-friendly houses here, becuase they never stay empty.
I'm renting to my son next. I won't get the rent from him either, I'm sure, but
at least I won't expect it. :-)

Sherry

Sherry
Old January 15th 04, 10:22 PM
Tanada

Sherry wrote:

We rented to the first tenant we ever had, ever, who didn't have cats. Word
just got around that we were pretty lenient about pets and somehow the cat
owners just always migrated our way. The guy has skipped out, disappeared,
can't be located anywhere since mid December. Hasn't paid rent since November.
I have no idea what to do with his stuff. The is the *first* time ever we
have been gigged by a tenant.

Moral of the story is, don't trust anybody who doesn't have at least one cat.

Poor Sherry. I hope you find him and get his mess worked out.
Meanwhile, have some cheese and crackers to go with that whine.

Pam S.