Shame on the CBC

Old March 22nd 05, 03:29 AM
Kim

Default Shame on the CBC

From a December issue of Marketing Magazine:

The Nova Scotia SPCA had the CBC howling against the shock value of ads
created for the animal rights group by Hallifax's Porkpie Hat. Designed to
raise awareness about responsible pet ownership, the CBC refused to air
spots in which children asked questions like "If I make a mistake, will you
give me away?" A voiceover asks "If this is so wrong, what makes it OK when
it's a pet?" That's advertising that cuts through.

Old March 22nd 05, 04:00 AM
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2005-03-22, Kim penned:
From a December issue of Marketing Magazine:

The Nova Scotia SPCA had the CBC howling against the shock value of ads
created for the animal rights group by Hallifax's Porkpie Hat. Designed to
raise awareness about responsible pet ownership, the CBC refused to air
spots in which children asked questions like "If I make a mistake, will you
give me away?" A voiceover asks "If this is so wrong, what makes it OK when
it's a pet?" That's advertising that cuts through.

Hrm.

There's an ad on TV around here sometimes about childhood asthma. It depicts
a goldfish whose water supply is continually dwindling, until the fish is on
its side, panting, and a child's voice says, "I don't want to feel like a fish
without water."

The ad disturbs me. Did they really have to resort to suffocating a fish to
get the message across? It seems even more wrong because they want us to
identify with the fish's suffering, so clearly they know they're hurting it.

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully

Old March 22nd 05, 04:19 AM
Yoj

On 2005-03-22, Kim penned:
From a December issue of Marketing Magazine:

[...]

The chances are very good that the scene, or at least part of it, is
computer generated, and the fish is not really suffocating.

Joy

Old March 22nd 05, 04:51 AM
Jo Firey

"Yoj" wrote in message
. ..
On 2005-03-22, Kim penned:
From a December issue of Marketing Magazine:

[...]

While that may be true, I was a child with asthma. It is a horrible,
helpless feeling to be a small child and have an asthma attack so severe you
can't even go get your parents or call out to ask for help. No child with
asthma needs to see an add like that on TV regardless of what point it might
be trying to make.

Jo

Old March 22nd 05, 05:04 AM
Hopitus

I saw that ad once and it bothered me a lot. I was
thinking, "How far are they gonna go with this?"

"Jo Firey" wrote in message

"Yoj" wrote in message
. ..

Old March 22nd 05, 05:23 AM
Gabey8

[[There's an ad on TV around here sometimes about childhood asthma. It
depicts
a goldfish whose water supply is continually dwindling, until the fish is
on
its side, panting, and a child's voice says, "I don't want to feel like a
fish
without water."

The ad disturbs me. Did they really have to resort to suffocating a fish
get the message across? It seems even more wrong because they want us to
identify with the fish's suffering, so clearly they know they're hurting
it. ]]

I saw that ad, too. It makes me think, "Please tell me they're not
actually doing this to a real fish. The SPCA would be after them if they
hurt an animal while making the commercial... right?" I hope Joy's
observation, that at least some of the scene is computer-generated, is
true.

I understand that it's an important point they're trying to make, but even
so, I would hate to think that they'd be able to cause suffering to any
sort of animal in the process of making it.

Donna

Old March 22nd 05, 08:28 AM
Yoj

"Jo Firey" wrote in message

"Yoj" wrote in message
. ..
On 2005-03-22, Kim penned:
From a December issue of Marketing Magazine:

[...]

That is a good point. I didn't develop asthma until I was an adult, but I
can certainly see what you mean.

Joy