So what did we get?

Old December 31st 10, 05:36 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lesley Madigan

Default So what did we get?

After the thread about perfect gifts- did anyone get any nice presents/
what the Hell were they thinking of presents for Xmas? Didn't do
badly- we got money and a hamper from Dave's mum. I got cash from
various people, which has so far been converted into a bottle of my
favourite perfume (22.95 down to 12.95 in the sales so BONUS!) and new
pilows and pillowcases (the rest pays our electric bill). Too many
chocolates- there's a huge box of Belgian one's sitting in my office
as an incentive to go back to work on Tuesday - probably with the
details of my sacking on top of it ! (long and very nasty story but
according to the manager concerned it's "for your own good"), a nice
bracelet, a scarf and my uttter dread of being given "smellies" by
certain people in the office secret Santa was unecessary- I got a
"Jack Daniels" coffee mug and coaster with ground coffee flavoured
with JD

Dave got a pint glass with his name hand engraved onto it and 30 mice
with balls and a share of the money Brother and SIL gave us (we
couldn't raid the shops as we normally do because my great nieces
stayed at his over Xmas and there was no one to look after them whilst
we went out) which he is using to buy some DVD's he wants

The cats are happy today as well- our local Co-op tends to get too
much in so I have purchased 2 ham joints for later on (Cold be damned
people are still coming round) at bargain price. Also the nice people
at "Felix" sent them a sample pouchie from their new "Sensations"
range- sardine with carrots.....it's a big hit

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

So not such a bad
Old December 31st 10, 06:25 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Lesley Madigan" wrote in message
[...]

I got a fleece jumper (nice colour, I will wear it) from one brother and
from the other one of those Snuggle Blankets that are advertised on TV.
They must think my house is cold ;-) which it is.
Do not bother to buy a snuggle blanket. Terrible quality, thin. £15.99 and
not worth it. Made in China.
I resolved that if I could I would never buy anything from China since the
scandal of the USA dogs and cats that died because of their food
contamination.
I have not shared the knowledge with my brother - to be fair he is unlikely
to know.
Tweed

Old December 31st 10, 06:49 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL

"Christina Websell" wrote in message

[...]

Interesting that you said that. I gave a set of glasses to some friends,
and they were delighted. One of the things they liked is that the glasses
were made in Italy. They said they are trying to avoid all things made in
China and mentioned the food contamination issue (but that was not their
only reason).

MaryL

Old December 31st 10, 06:52 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lesley Madigan

On Dec 31, 10:25*am, "Christina Websell"
wrote:

..
Do not bother to buy a snuggle blanket. *Terrible quality, thin. * 15..99 and
not worth it. *Made in China.

I toyed with one a few months back for Dave.....whilst our flat is
nowhere near as cold as your house apparently we have central heating
that costs serious money to run and I am more comfortable at cooler
temperatures than Dave is- so if he turns the heating up then firstly
it costs and secondly I overheat so I thought if he could be persuaded
to wear one of those then we wouldn't need to use the heating so
much..but like you I found them too thin and too expensive- if I lived
alone I'd invest in a big flannel dressing gown and probably wouldn't
need to turn the heating on much only if it was seriously cold

Old December 31st 10, 07:12 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

. ..

[...]

Nothing from China, if I know it came from there will ever come into my
house.
They contaminated cat food with melamine to make it seem it had good protein
in and it killed them from kidney failure.
What a stupid thing to do.
Having had several dogs & a cat with kidney failure, may they rot in hell.
Let's not buy anything from China, eh?
I don't.

MaryL

Old December 31st 10, 07:34 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Lesley Madigan" wrote in message
On Dec 31, 10:25 am, "Christina Websell"
wrote:

..
Do not bother to buy a snuggle blanket. Terrible quality, thin. 15.99 and
not worth it. Made in China.

I toyed with one a few months back for Dave.....whilst our flat is
nowhere near as cold as your house apparently we have central heating
that costs serious money to run and I am more comfortable at cooler
temperatures than Dave is- so if he turns the heating up then firstly
it costs and secondly I overheat so I thought if he could be persuaded
to wear one of those then we wouldn't need to use the heating so
much..but like you I found them too thin and too expensive- if I lived
alone I'd invest in a big flannel dressing gown and probably wouldn't
need to turn the heating on much only if it was seriously cold

---------
I got a thing like that snuggle blanket four times as thick and much better,
brand new from a charity shop. Unwanted gift, probably.
I use it all the time when when the temp goes down to -10C plus.

Old December 31st 10, 09:36 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Lesley Madigan" wrote in message
On Dec 31, 10:25 am, "Christina Websell"
wrote:

..
Do not bother to buy a snuggle blanket. Terrible quality, thin. 15.99 and
not worth it. Made in China.

I toyed with one a few months back for Dave.....whilst our flat is
nowhere near as cold as your house apparently we have central heating
that costs serious money to run and I am more comfortable at cooler
temperatures than Dave is- so if he turns the heating up then firstly
it costs and secondly I overheat so I thought if he could be persuaded
to wear one of those then we wouldn't need to use the heating so
much..but like you I found them too thin and too expensive- if I lived
alone I'd invest in a big flannel dressing gown and probably wouldn't
need to turn the heating on much only if it was seriously cold

How bad is it that we cannot afford to heat our houses here?
Tweed

Old December 31st 10, 10:30 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Irulan

My daughter, bless her heart, gave me my very own iPhone and
even put me on her account. I've been watching movies on Netflix
on it grin.

Lily & her mama

--
Irulan
from the stars we come

Old December 31st 10, 11:19 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

"Lesley Madigan" wrote in message
After the thread about perfect gifts- did anyone get any nice presents/
what the Hell were they thinking of presents for Xmas?

(sorry to piggyback, Tweed, but even though Lesley is in my "safe senders"
list I still don't see the original post)

John and I agreed not to exchange gifts. At least, I thought we had. He
sent me a one-day-at-a-time kitty desk calendar. Oooh, a new kitty a day
for the next 365 days!

My neighbor (owned by Schwartzie & Fedders) baked various cookies and gave
me a small tin of them. (Yum!) I also got a tin of cookies from my Aunt
Jule who lives in Maryland. (She was married to my late mother's older
brother and is 88 years old, bless her.) They're Scottish shortbread
cookies made from my Grandma Douglas-Brown's recipe. (Also YUM!) She
included a small cross-stitch pillow for Persia that says "Yes, Santa, I've
been a Good Cat" And some stationery, which tells me I need to write
long-hand letters more often. LOL

On the downside, I called my Aunt Win who is my late father's older sister
(age 90) only to find out her husband (my Uncle, 94) died a month before
Christmas. I'd sent them a card and I always follow up with a phone call...
this wasn't a happy one. She sounded in good enough spirits, all things
considered. And my cousin was there helping her out with things. But a
sad, sad Christmas for them.

Here's to a Happy New Year for all. Hogmanay!

Jill