Supporting Sammy the post office cat

Old January 13th 09, 12:24 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

Default Let's send Sammy Letters (WAS: Supporting Sammy the post office cat)

"Kreisleriana" wrote in message
m...

"jmcquown" wrote in message
"Linda Boucher" wrote in message
who ever wrote that letter should be ban from the post office for
life....i never heard of anything so stupid before...i would
say the cat as more right to be inside that post office than that
person does

People in a small town in Tennessee have rallied around to support
Sammy the cat. Someone wrote a letter of complaint because the Post

I say we should all write Sammy a letter to his new P.O. Box 173 in
Notasulga, Alabama, Postal Code 36866-0173 If you can, send catnip!
send Kitty toys! I say we support Sammy! He's a gorgeous and obviously
(from the video) very friendly and well loved orange tabby who doesn't
deserve to be turned away from his post office because one spiteful woman
doesn't like cats.

Jill

I'm there. Was it a woman? I don't remember it being specific.

This sounds like an anecdolts kind of issue.

Old January 13th 09, 02:08 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Steve Touchstone[_3_]

Default Supporting Sammy the post office cat

On Mon, 12 Jan 2009 14:10:35 -0600, "MaryL"
-OUT-THE-LITTER wrote:

People in a small town in Tennessee have rallied around to support Sammy the
cat. Someone wrote a letter of complaint because the Post Office is a
federal building and Sammy does not pay taxes. Therefore, the writer said,
Sammy should not be allowed inside. Sammy was banned from the building
because of that letter. The video shows a small crowd gathered outside the
Post Office to support Sammy, and one woman even bought a box in Sammy's
name so he would have a legal right to enter.

http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/...National_.html
(Video)

http://www.kare11.com/news/whatsup/w...5254&catid=333
http://www.ketknbc.com/news/cat-evic...t-paying-taxes

MaryL

If the complaint had been made by someone with allergies which were
being aggravated when they went to the post office that would make
more sense, but to complain because the cat doesn't pay taxes just
sounds like a RL troll - complaining just to get things stirred up.

FWIW, in the comments someone said that Sammy has a home, but enjoys
spending his days at the PO. Makes sense if you're a social kitty, why
not spend your time greeting your friends when they come get their
mail. I wonder if Sammy is going to start getting mail now that they
told us his mail box number in the video ;-) I imagine he'll start
getting pre-approved credit cards now, so hope he doesn't get taken in
by one of those introductory offers
--
Steve Touchstone
Little Bit, Sammy, Spotty, Princess, Furby
Old January 13th 09, 02:18 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
jmcquown[_2_]

"jmcquown" wrote in message
[...]

Theresa and Dante
drtmuirATearthlink.net

Stinky Forever: http://community.webshots.com/album/125591586JWEFwh

I don't know... I just assumed it was a woman. I can't imagine a man
worrying about something like this. Doesn't matter. I put a letter in the
mail after I wrote this post addressed to Sammy the Cat. I rubbed catnip on
it since I don't have any spare toy mousies (Persia has batted them all
into oblivion)

Jill

Old January 13th 09, 03:13 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

I think the Post Office should be paying Sammy for keeping the mice
and rat population down. If he was paid a salary, then maybe he could
pay his federal taxes. When someone volunteers his services, do you
"kick" them out because they can't pay taxes? Go SAMMY! I wish you
the best of luck getting back inside of the Post Office. By having
you around, they aren't having to pay for rodent removol services.
You are much cheaper and provide therapy to many people. You can't
say the same thing for Decon or mouse traps or paying someone to
eradicate the rodents.
Old January 13th 09, 03:46 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Annie-SF

On Jan 12, 3:11*pm, "jmcquown" wrote:
"Linda Boucher" wrote in message

... who ever wrote that letter *should be ban from the post office for
life....i never heard of anything so stupid before...i would
say *the cat as more right to be inside that post office than that person
does

People in a small town in Tennessee have rallied around to support Sammy
the cat. *Someone wrote a letter of complaint because the Post

I say we should all write Sammy a letter to his new P.O. Box 173 in
Notasulga, Alabama, Postal Code 36866-0173 *If you can, send catnip!
send Kitty toys! *I say we support Sammy! *He's a gorgeous and obviously
(from the video) very friendly and well loved orange tabby who doesn't
deserve to be turned away from his post office because one spiteful woman
doesn't like cats.

Jill

Great idea...am sending off a catnip mouse for Sammy. Our 3 kitties
have excess Christmas toys.
Go Sammy!
Annie-SF
Old January 13th 09, 11:29 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

-OUT-THE-LITTER wrote:

[...]

Sammy's getting a letter from me, for sure! (And I didn't write it in
LOLspeak) The post had already run by the time I put it out yesterday so it
will go out today

Jill

My "urban legend" antennae are quivering. I searched at snopes.com
but there's nothing there (yet) about this.

If this is true -- which I doubt mightily -- then either there are
significant facts we're not being told, or someone was monumentally
stupid.

Just for starters, the Post Office is legally not part of the Federal
government but is a corporation. Then of course there are many humans
who legitimately owe no taxes.

If there is indeed a post office cat, and if it was indeed banned, I
suspect it was on health and safety grounds, however specious they
might be.

http://OakRoadSystems.com
Shikata ga nai...

My "urban legend" antennae are quivering. I searched at snopes.com
but there's nothing there (yet) about this.

If this is true -- which I doubt mightily -- then either there are
significant facts we're not being told, or someone was monumentally
stupid.

Just for starters, the Post Office is legally not part of the Federal
government but is a corporation. Then of course there are many humans
who legitimately owe no taxes.

If there is indeed a post office cat, and if it was indeed banned, I
suspect it was on health and safety grounds, however specious they
might be.

http://OakRoadSystems.com
Shikata ga nai...

(cross posting snipped.... we do NOT encourage cross-posting to rpca)

Did you actually watch the video? Do you think some production company
gathered up a bunch of geriatric actors (and an orange tabby cat actor) to
play townspeople on a movie set of a post office? All to fabricate a news
story about a cat being banned from a U.S. Post Office? Sure, that's what
happened. Idiot.

Jill

Old January 13th 09, 01:27 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

Default My apologies: I should have snipped the Cross-postings (Was: Supporting Sammy the post office cat)

We don't need those rec.pets.cats.health+behav people storming in here
again. rec.pets.cats.anecdotes was created to get away from those people
with their constanty criticisms and lack of a sense of humour.

I apologize for not noticing this was crossposted in the first place before
I replied to the original post (and to rpchb). Here come the trolls again.
Dammit.

Mary, you should know better.

Jill

. ..
People in a small town in Tennessee have rallied around to support Sammy
the cat. Someone wrote a letter of complaint because the Post Office is a

Old January 13th 09, 02:02 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
CatNipped[_2_]

"jmcquown" wrote in message
"Linda Boucher" wrote in message
who ever wrote that letter should be ban from the post office for
life....i never heard of anything so stupid before...i would
say the cat as more right to be inside that post office than that person
does

People in a small town in Tennessee have rallied around to support Sammy
the cat. Someone wrote a letter of complaint because the Post

I say we should all write Sammy a letter to his new P.O. Box 173 in
Notasulga, Alabama, Postal Code 36866-0173 If you can, send catnip!
send Kitty toys! I say we support Sammy! He's a gorgeous and obviously
(from the video) very friendly and well loved orange tabby who doesn't
deserve to be turned away from his post office because one spiteful woman
doesn't like cats.

Jill

What a *GREAT* idea, Jill. I certainly will send Sammy a card.

Hugs,

CatNipped

Supporting Sammy the post office cat MaryL Cat health & behaviour 43 January 17th 09 12:48 AM
Post Office cats update Mark Edwards Cat anecdotes 6 July 5th 08 10:11 PM
Sammy? ChildFree23 Cat community 1 October 4th 06 02:12 PM
Sammy? ChildFree23 Cat community 18 April 8th 04 10:28 PM