Question about cat with leg tumor (longish)

Old September 4th 04, 03:51 AM
-

Default Question about cat with leg tumor (longish)

Hello,

I'm somewhat confused about a situation with my cat, and would really
appreciate some informed advise. To start, I have a cat who is approximately
15 yrs. old who has a large growth on his left-rear leg - it's about the
size of a small peach and is ulcerating the skin to the point where it
bleeds occasionally and is scabbed over. I never noticed this until I was
shaving some mats off his fur and noticed that he had a dried-out clot of
blood stuck in the fur. So far, I've been to three different vets about this
problem:

Vet 1 first prescribed an antibiotic for a week to see if the growth went
down in size. A week later, I took that cat in and the growth was still the
same size. He did bloodwork/uranalys and, other than some anemia, said that
the cat is a good candidate for surgery. He offered to remove the tumor
himself, and mentioned that there was a risk of the cat not having full
function of the leg afterwards. He said that a biopsy would be done on the
growth after the surgery. He also took x-rays which seemed to indicate that
there were no tumors on the lungs (or other organs) and that the tumor on
the leg didn't involve the bone.

I wanted a second opinion, so I went to vet 2 who looked at the growth and
immediately recommended I see an oncologist as he didn't want to tackle any
surgery this large, and was almost certain the growth was a tumor.

So, onto vet 3 who is a certified oncologist. He performed an asperation of
the growth and the result was inconclusive. He is certain that the growth is
a tumor, however. He then, had me consult with a surgeon who said that the
leg will need to come off to remove the growth and that my cat is a good
candidate for that, since it hasn't grown too far toward to rest of his
body. He also mentioned that a biopsy would be done AFTER the surgery.

OK, now to my problem with all this. Why haven't any of these doctors wanted
to do a biopsy FIRST to determine what they are dealing with before going
into surgery? The oncologist mentioned that this had been growing for some
time, so if that's the case, then if it's a malignant tumor, wouldn't there
be a high chance that it has spread to some other parts of the body by now?
From what I understand, x-rays will only show tumors once they are of a
reasonably large size, and cannot detect a tumor just starting out - is this
correct?

My thinking, with regard to my 15 year-old cat, is that if the tumor is
benign, go ahead and amputate the leg (or the tumor), hopefully giving him
some more quality time on this earth. But, if it's malignant, I can't see
doing anything other than making him comfortable since I don't think it
would be fair to put him through surgery, and then chemo, and possibly more
surgeries if more tumors pop up. Right now he can walk and purrs when I pet
him, and will play with a string, so I don't see that he's suffering that
much other than the anemia making him listless most of the time.

Maybe my thinking is based on incorrect information, so please help me
understand this situation better....

Pat

Old September 4th 04, 04:57 AM
KellyH

"-" wrote in message
Hello,

I'm somewhat confused about a situation with my cat, and would really
appreciate some informed advise. To start, I have a cat who is

approximately
15 yrs. old who has a large growth on his left-rear leg - it's about the
size of a small peach and is ulcerating the skin to the point where it
bleeds occasionally and is scabbed over. I never noticed this until I was
shaving some mats off his fur and noticed that he had a dried-out clot of
blood stuck in the fur. So far, I've been to three different vets about

this
problem:

snip

My thinking, with regard to my 15 year-old cat, is that if the tumor is
benign, go ahead and amputate the leg (or the tumor), hopefully giving him
some more quality time on this earth. But, if it's malignant, I can't see
doing anything other than making him comfortable since I don't think it
would be fair to put him through surgery, and then chemo, and possibly

more
surgeries if more tumors pop up. Right now he can walk and purrs when I

pet
him, and will play with a string, so I don't see that he's suffering that
much other than the anemia making him listless most of the time.

Maybe my thinking is based on incorrect information, so please help me
understand this situation better....

Pat

I want to qualify my response by saying that this is just my opinion and I
have no experience with this type of situation.
I believe the vets point of view is that the tumor needs to be removed
whether it is benign or malignant, so may as well do the biopsy after the
tumor is removed. Just because it's malignant, does not necessarily mean
the cancer has spread very far. I would think your cat would be more
comfortable without the tumor, even if it has spread and he doesn't have a
great deal of time left.
I sincerely hope it is not malignant and you have many more years left with
your boy.

--
-Kelly
kelly at farringtons dot net

Old September 4th 04, 05:46 AM
Karen Chuplis

in article 03b_c.287530$eM2.197301@attbi_s51, KellyH at
wrote on 9/3/04 10:57 PM:

"-" wrote in message
[...]

As large as it is, I agree with Kelly. I do not know how they could remove
just the tumor. Benign or malignant, I would feel for the cats comfort
removed must be better. Since the one vet seems to think it is in a good
spot for surgery I find that encouraging, because, in general when it comes
to tumors, I don't see people usually getting that positive a response. It
will be a tough decision. Please keep us posted.

Old September 4th 04, 05:32 PM
Betsy

Has your cat been vaccinated in this area? If so, it is quite likely to be
a vaccine related sarcoma, a cancer which is locally very aggressive but
doesn't usually metastasize.

My cat had one, and I discovered it quite late. I made the mistake of
allowing the regular vet to "remove" it, only to find out that it wasn't
completely removable, and it tripled in size in a couple of weeks.

We ended up at the University of PA and she had the whole leg and hip
removed. She lived another 6 months, only to succumb to something presumed
to be FIP (no cancer had spread).

I don't think the biopsy can be performed without surgery, so I'd definitely
follow through with the oncologist. They may be able to do a preliminary
biopsy while the cat is "on the table" and complete any necessary amputation
then, without further trauma to the kitty.

By the way, my cat did very well on 3 legs, even learning to run! Jumping
wasn't possible, though.

Keep us posted.

"-" wrote in message
[...]

From what I understand, x-rays will only show tumors once they are of a